General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Do You Have a Junkyard "Go" Box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 07:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Do You Have a Junkyard "Go" Box?

I couldn't find a more appropriate sub-forum. I hope this is okay.

A "go" box is another term for a bug-out box: something that's pre-loaded and ready to "go" when you want it.

So when I go to the junk yard, I always have to grab a tool box and load it up with whatever I think I'll need, and invariably when I get there, I never have what's required--either because I forgot or because I didn't think it would be necessary.

The thing about a junkyard box is you want a useful set of tools, but you want a minimum because you're going to be lugging the box a mile, and you don't want to come home with your arm stretched an extra 3 inches.

I'm fortunate because my particular Jag is pretty much all SAE, so I don't have to double up for metric. But I'm still carrying way too much and coming up short.

What's in your junkyard tool box?

Old 05-01-2017, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I have a small military 'tech' bag that's about 12" x 6" x 6" and it's small enough to tote around without being too heavy and I can keep track of my tools so I don't leave stuff laying around. I pack what I think I need for each job, trying to keep it below 15 lbs.

As far as tool go, there's always a #2 Phillips and 1/4" straight screw drivers, 8" adjustable wrench, needle nose pliers and some Knipex channel lock style ones. Wrenches and sockets as needed.

As I graze through the yard I'll pull accessible screws and hardware and drop it in the bag. Owners don't sweat that little stuff, I bring the bag in when I pay and show them what's in it.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by James O
I'm still carrying way too much and coming up short. What's in your junkyard tool box?
What a thoughtful challenge James. As I have aged, you are so right to focus on weight and I counter this by trying to "make the most of little". Let me share my top 3 choices . . .
  • my top vote goes to 1/4" drives . . . except for suspension mechanicals, there are few areas of "body snatching" that warrant lugging around large 1/2" socket sets and with better tool steels today, what could be achieved with 3/8" can now be done with 1/4" drive . . . similarly, and to keep the above as compact as possible, I have several different length 1/4" screwdriver type drivers . . . stubby, medium, and long shafts, and several 1/4" extension drives . . . and finally, rather than a classic set of full-sized screwdrivers, I use a comprehensive, compact "bit pack" designed to fit 1/4" driver shafts (above) . . . all the Phillips, Pozi, Slotted, and tamper-proof like Torx;
  • my second vote goes to using a canvas satchel bag rather than heavy steel toolbox . . . makes your idea of pre-packed carry-all a lightweight solution that lends itself to also holding any parts you otherwise carry;
  • my final vote (don't laugh) goes to bottled water . . . wrecker's yards can be hot, lonely places so some refreshment, carried in, will keep you cool and hydrated . . . once consumed, the empty bottle is abandoned.
I didn't come upon these overnight, nor as a reasoned plan . . . I guess it just evolved out of necessity. Y'see, my 20s disappeared over 50 years ago, so your question is far more important to me than a theoretical "what if". Thanks for your thoughtful question. I hope my post helps.

Cheers,

Ken

The following users liked this post:
rtcosic (05-05-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 06:21 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Nudging on Ken in years, and weight and size is special also.

I have a Fishing Tackle plastic box (I dont fish, never have) and it has a tray on top for odds and ends, and various "bits" that fit the Snapon Screwdriver. A 1/4 drive socket set, and then various ring spanners, open/ring spanners, FBH (as big as will fit), pliers etc.

Weighs about 7kg, and suits my needs now just fine. Sits in the corner of the boot in the Black car.

Prior to that was a larger metal arrangement on wheels, like a carry on luggage thing, and those were the days I seriously haunted the wreckers.

The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (05-04-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 08:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good ideas. I'll be thinking about this as I try to assemble something ready-to-go.

I'm wary of the canvas sachel idea, though. I've got something like that in the back of one of my cars as a toolbox and it's fine for that. But the junkyards in my area tend to be very greasy/grimy, particularly on the ground. Nice thing about a metal box is that it cleans up easily, even if only just for the ride home.