General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Extended Warranty? Pre Purchase Inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty? Pre Purchase Inspection?

I'm in the process of buying a 2009 XF Premium Luxury from a Jag dealer that is out of state and was wondering if.

#1- I should still have an independent pre purchase inspection done? Anyone you recommend?

and

#2- The car has an existing warranty that runs out next year, should I buy an extended warranty? If so any suggestions.. Can I get it from the Jag dealer or should I go 3rd party?

I know lots of questions, but being a first time Jag owner I want to make sure I do it right

Thanks

Ty

Old 05-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

For the amount of money you'll have to spend, I'd have it inspected/checked independently -- no question. See if you can get hold of the previous owner as well and see what he/she says. Do your best to see that the mileage recorded is genuine. Your vendor will no doubt be issuing some kind of warranty/guarantee with the car, so do the research to find if that firm is reliable and has access to Jag-familiar mechanics. Being a dealer doesn't necessarily mean that anything should be assumed. (If, of course, I may say such a thing).
Leedsman.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Leedsman, I'm thinking of using inspectmyride.com for the pre purchase inspection, but still need to decide on the Exteneded warranty, any suggesstions? Dealer or 3rd party?

Old 05-31-2011, 03:20 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Therefore insert "Expectmyride" into Google search plus 'problems' or 'complaints' and see what turns up. I was thinking of buying from a very large car retailer here in Leeds once, until I did the same Google on them and all sorts of complaints turned up, especially from the Leeds depot. That Google search engine is fantastic and costs you sweet nothing!
The complaints for that Leeds car firm were all about very poor service, once the money was handed over. Broken promises, fudged and bodged jobs, jobs not done, the usual amateurish stuff -- exactly the area you're looking into right now. Although I'm an admitted tightarse, I don't mind paying if I'm getting what I'm paying for. If you find a good mechanic, keep him well-lubricated with money.
Leedsman.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Hi Ty

As the car has one year left on its existing Jaguar from-new warranty, then the first thing is to check the servicing has been done at the correct intervals, and not neglected. First thing Jaguar will look at if you need to claim is to look at the service record, and if it is not up-to-scratch, they can decline a claim.

Once the Jaguar warranty runs out, what to do ? Well, I think Jaguar will normally offer an extension for a car correctly serviced, but it will be expensive. It might be better to take out a warranty for major components only, rather than the whole car. It is an arithmetic consideration - benefit against cost. Warranties that cover virtually everything are a big risk to the warranty company, so they load them up, whereas common faults on most cars are well known around the 'trade', so they can evaluate the risk better with the known costs of repairs, and thus offer better rates. Jaguar XFs have been very well received here in the UK, there are loads around near my house; my next door neighbour has an S-Type, and says a couple of people he meets in business who have XFs tell him it is the best car they have ever had, bar none. So fear not !

Old 06-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

The warranty on my 2007 Xk coupe runs out in August and the dealership told me to get an extended warranty 30 days prior to the original running out. They sold me a 5 year 60K warranty from Fidelity for $1780. It covers pretty much everything and the dealer said it was better than Jaguar's extended warranty.