General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Jag diff compatability

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jag diff compatability

High all

Hoping someone can provide advice regarding differential compatibility.

Am currently running what I am told is a Mark 10 diff as 3.54 ratio powerlok in an AC cobra.

It is quite noisy and am looking to rejuvenate the diff.

Thoughts have been replacement of internals as needed or perhaps using a much later model diff.

On the former idea, how hard is it to source new replacement parts to rejuvenate the internals of such an old diff?

On the later idea, I need any replacement diff to simply be capable of bolting back in place. It is hard bolted to the car's chassis so doesn't run any of the Jag sub-frame assembly.

Work is also about to commence replacing the original in-board disc and driveshaft system to an X308 outboard brake arrangement, however I don't believe this will impact the diff selection.

I'd been keen for any feedback on the options I have.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Old 12-04-2017, 05:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guy still chasing any advice here and disappointed at all the white noise.

Surely there is enough brains trust to offer some advice on diffs?? No

Old 12-04-2017, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Try re-posting your questions in the "XJS" and/or "Series I-II-III XJ6" sections. There are a few guys here who know a lot about these diffs but they probably never saw your original posting. Also, Dick Maury at Coventry West is extremely well versed as he does lots of Jaguar diff rebuilding.

My limited knowledge is that the inboard-brake diff is a kissin' cousin to the venerable Dana 44 as far as internals go.

To order correct parts you might need to positively identify what you have as I think there were some small internal changes over the many years it was used.

As for complete replacement, though, I think any of the inboard-brakes diffs, as complete assemblies, will be a direct bolt-in swap. There was an oddball used circa 1985-87 in some XJS cars that will require different brake discs. This would be the "Dana" differential....actually manufactured by Dana (as opposed to GKN/Salisbury)...most easily identifiable by the lack of a drain plug at the bottom.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-04-2017, 08:08 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Since your in downtown Victoria, I would talk to Brain at JagDaim, or Phil at Prestige spares.

Both in Vic, and both have wrecking facilities attached, so heaps of spare bits.