General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Jlr sdd v130

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 11:01 AM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Jlr sdd v130

Some 3 years ago now I bought the JLR v130 SDD software to have some idea of what might cause problems on both my '99 XK8 (67K miles) and my wife's 2004 XJ8 (100,630 miles). It worked pretty well on a Dell Laptop (Latitude E4310) running the VM WIN XP Pro under a Win 7 Pro 64bit O/S until the laptop took a dump in one of its onboard circuits.

Since I had no pressing need at the time to use it I didn't bother replacing the laptop. Fast forward several months and I bought a used but very clean well cared for Dell E4310 with the only major difference being that it was running Win 7 Enterprise 64bit. I reloaded the JLT software according to their instructions and the program opened up as before and after a short period reacquainting myself with it I ran the diagnostic routine on my wife's '04 XJ because it suddenly threw an ABS unavailable light, DSC unavailable, and check engine light. None of those would clear on subsequent ignition cycles although the DSC warning went away a day or two later.

Anyway, after running the diagnostic routine it took me to the screen displaying the various control modules with their attached sensors showing which ones were communicating as well as those that weren't or that may not be installed on the car.

That's all it would let me do. It wouldn't show me Campaigns, or Recommendations, and it wouldn't let me drill down to whatever codes were being thrown. Across the top of that screen was the announcement that the VM hadn't been updated so that some functionality would be lost. I figured, what the hell, I'll just uninstall the VM program; reset the laptops date to early 2012 (it's a single purpose laptop used only for the two cars) and reload everything and uncheck the "check for updates" box.

I did all that and just reran the diagnostics again (takes too damn long) and was greeted with the same problem with no access to the DTC's that had been thrown by the system. The only difference this time was the message at the top which was a bit more specific this time in that it said that unless I updated the VM program there was no more functionality !!!

What gives and how did it know it had NOT been updated? No network connection, not even any network hardware under the VM XP and no way to know that it was NOT the same date as the original program from 3 years ago.

Oh, and by the way....it WILL diagnose my '99 XK8 and show me the codes since it reverts to IDS with that car....even though it is still running under the outdated VM program...that WON"T cooperate when I need SDD.

Could I install the JLR V130 in XP mode under Win 7 64 and have it work or has JLR's version crafted to run specifically on the included VM software?