General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Radio display fades out...radio works fine

Old 04-09-2017, 01:50 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Radio display fades out...radio works fine

I've searched all over the forum but can't find any real things to try for this problem.

I have a '99 XK8 with the HK Premium am/fm/cass w/trunk CD and it works fine (now that I replaced the blown subs). My problem is that the display will often not show anything. Other times it works fine so it's erratic. The only thing I did notice over time was that often when it decides to NOT work it will come on at some point down the road either as a result of the unit warming up internally or some other event.

Rough roads don't effect it and switching modes or turning on and off don't effect it so it's purely an internal thing. No battery issues as it's a reasonably new one of some 4 months and the problem was there even before I replaced that battery.

So TWO questions.

Anyone know of a company that repairs these head units and what could I do myself with minimum hassle to address the likely suspect part?

Old 04-10-2017, 06:02 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

234 Views as I write this but 0 Replies.

You could get some help from members in XK8/XKR forum with the same model. Send me a PM if you want me to move the thread for you.

Graham

Old 04-11-2017, 09:54 AM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default I re-posted it myself

Originally Posted by GGG
234 Views as I write this but 0 Replies.

You could get some help from members in XK8/XKR forum with the same model. Send me a PM if you want me to move the thread for you.

Graham

Graham, I reposted this myself over in the XK8 forum this morning. I spent a lot of time searching all the forums for someone who may have experienced this before with no solid leads resulting. I can't think mine is a solitary event and given the age of the car in years if not miles it isn't an unexpected problem.

I think that to some extent it is heat related, at least to the extent that most often the display will re-appear after an indeterminate period when the unit gets warmer. Not external warmer as in weather related but internally as if a circuit heats up enough to expand and make contact.

I'm just trying to find out if anyone knows of a reputable company that can bench test these units and repair them at something resembling a reasonable price. Perhaps the folks in Illinois who repair the inside mirrors for example.