I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar I-Pace Battery Recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 05:41 PM
Received 679 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Jaguar I-Pace Battery Recall

New recall we'll be getting a software update over the air and, if the battery doesn't test out as ok, capacity will be reduced 25% until the car can be taken to the dealer and assessed. All related repairs should be covered by Jaguar. Notices are due to go out around July 23rd, 2023. Looks like all of our cars will eventually need to go to the dealer to be checked. Some of us may get brand new batteries, which given the cost to replace the battery is $100K, that's one heck of a deal. References below (fingers crossed).

RCLRPT-23V369-7824.PDF (nhtsa.gov)
Microsoft Word - Recall H441 Chronology.docx (nhtsa.gov)
RCAK-23V369-3467.pdf (nhtsa.gov)
RCLRPT-23V369-2384.PDF (nhtsa.gov)

The following users liked this post:
jlainie (06-08-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recall

Thanks for posting. I read that the battery control energy module might need to be replaced, not that the battery might need to be replaced. Hopefully the OTA software update fixes the issue.

Old 06-01-2023, 11:27 AM

I think it depends on what the test shows, here is an article on the recall out of Green Car: 2019-2024 Jaguar I-Pace recalled over battery fire concern (greencarreports.com)

Old 07-11-2023, 08:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Battery Software Upgrade Results

We got our update over a week ago and installed it. Since then, the vehicle has charged fully each time, so it seems our I-Pace is not one of those with the issue. I like some of the extra battery info that is now available after the update that I found after making a pass through settings. In general, battery range has increased noticeably in the 16 months we've owned our I-Pace. In the beginning, we were lucky to trend to 220 miles, but now we are routinely hitting 245 or so. This is in nice weather on the flat roads of southern Delaware with predominantly mild driving habits. That said, what I-Pace driver doesn't take advantage of the rapid acceleration (which my wife likes to call rocket mode) every now and then?

I've seen posts about charging rates slowing down. On the last major charge, I saw 8.8-9.1KW on my ChargePoint home charger until very close to full charge, after which it tapered down quickly. I have not used a public fast charger since the update.

enderle (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 12:00 PM

I got my update in as well and almost had a heart attack when my range suddenly dropped to 180, however after a couple of drives, it is back in the 230s again, so it looks like I just needed to retrain the car. So far so good...

Old 07-18-2023, 10:45 PM
Default mine was 116 miles

Originally Posted by enderle
I got my update in as well and almost had a heart attack when my range suddenly dropped to 180, however after a couple of drives, it is back in the 230s again, so it looks like I just needed to retrain the car. So far so good...
just got my update and it says 116 at 75 percent

Old 07-21-2023, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by john35967
me too, I reset the Guess O Meter and back to 230 at 100%. I wonder if it needed a reset. Will keep an eye on it. My dealer said bring it in if it continues.

Old 07-24-2023, 01:32 PM
Default question about update

Originally Posted by john35967
I keep a close eye with my phone for three hours it showed it was charging but it didn't go up more than 75percent
I slowed and charged it when I got home went to 219 miles 100 so then I went to fast charger down the street when I was at 69 percent to see if fast charge to 100 or will stop at 75 percent
which I didn't stop at all full charge on fast charge. but it took about 4 times to hook up before it would connect.
did my update take or was not put into the system
I went to update, and it shows an information update back in Dec
vehicle update shows only that no update needed
mine is a 2019 HSE if the update is not showing on my update area, is there anywhere else to check it???
The dealer told me I was the first car they did so far with the update.

Old 07-24-2023, 01:34 PM

i got the other day about 60 usually close to 90 or 110.

Old 08-31-2023, 06:08 PM

Hello folks, have you heard of a Stage II of the battery software update? I got my update end of July (and was pleasantly surprised to see the range estimate actually go up!), however we are noticing a peculiar issue which may be related or unrelated to the battery software update -- while going downhill (incline), upon applying the brakes at moderate speed (25-35 miles), the car actually lurches forward (jumps) and then resumes braking. The lurch could be very problematic in bumper to bumper traffic or trying to stop for a changed traffic light at the bottom of the hill. I haven't tried yet with different levels of regenerative braking (we keep our regen on HIGH). Has anyone noticed this problem post battery software update?

ps. Rob Enderle -- good to see you so active and informative here!

Old 09-02-2023, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Mine is going back to the dealer on Tuesday for some further diagnostics. I charge to 100% and the InControl says I have 145 miles. But when I unlock the car before pressing the START button, it shows 245 on the dash. Press the START button, which causes it to go into Comfort mode by default and the range "drops" to 145. ECO mode shows the exact same 145.

Engage Dynamic and it INCREASES to 245. Power the car off and it again shows 245.

So it looks like there is some weird miscommunication between the dash and the rest of the power control modules. And maybe the TCU. I am fortunate my dealer has at least two high level EV techs, but neither of them say they have seen this since the H441 update so I guess they may have to open a TA case.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:57 PM

Update: We seem the reduced brake feel and forward lurch issue more prominently when the vehicle is fully charged, and then going downhill. I'm wondering that as the regenerated charge kicks in, if the battery is already at full, the BEMS probably declines further charge, and that somehow causes the software to trigger the lurch.

Question -- has anyone figured out how to limit the charge to say 90% or 80%, without manually monitoring on a 2019 iPace? I read in other forums that this is possible in later models, but any workarounds or suggestions for the 2019 version?

Originally Posted by sroy
Hello folks, have you heard of a Stage II of the battery software update? I got my update end of July (and was pleasantly surprised to see the range estimate actually go up!), however we are noticing a peculiar issue which may be related or unrelated to the battery software update -- while going downhill (incline), upon applying the brakes at moderate speed (25-35 miles), the car actually lurches forward (jumps) and then resumes braking. The lurch could be very problematic in bumper to bumper traffic or trying to stop for a changed traffic light at the bottom of the hill. I haven't tried yet with different levels of regenerative braking (we keep our regen on HIGH). Has anyone noticed this problem post battery software update?

ps. Rob Enderle -- good to see you so active and informative here!

Old 09-07-2023, 10:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issues after update

I got the recall update. Had to take it in to the dealership for it. After that, started having battery issues. I booked an appointment to bring the car back in, but the car broke down before that and I had to get it towed into the dealership. It was towed July 26. I am still in possession of a loaner vehicle as I await a further software update before they will replace the modules that need replacing. It wouldn't be so bad if they had an I-Pace loaner, but I'm buying gas again

Old 09-08-2023, 12:18 PM
Default Best of luck and keep us posted

Wow, that doesn't sound like fun at all, best of luck and keep us posted!

Old 09-17-2023, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

My car spent a day at my dealer to open a TA for the mad changes in the range estimate when switching between Dynamic, Comfort and ECO. It appears that Dynamic is a closer reflection of the battery capacity and range but of course the car always starts in Comfort.

Anyway, the conclusion was that JLR engineering acknowledged there was an outstanding software issue somewhere, possibly the display and have yet to advise an ETA for the release. I have heard on some of the UK forums that a mid-September release is planned for MY2019 vehicles. Not sure if this will fix this. It is nice however to get a blessing to drive always in Dynamic because it is the most economical ;-)

enderle (09-18-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by sroy
Update: We seem to feel the reduced brake feel and forward lurch issue more prominently when the vehicle is fully charged, and then going downhill. I'm wondering that as the regenerated charge kicks in, if the battery is already at full, the BEMS probably declines further charge, and that somehow causes the software to trigger the lurch. Question -- has anyone figured out how to limit the charge to say 90% or 80%, without manually monitoring on a 2019 iPace? I read in other forums that this is possible in later models, but any workarounds or suggestions for the 2019 version?
Update: The JLR dealership update couple of software modules related to ABS and Chassis control. These seem to have addressed the reduced brake feel/long stopping distance (on regen) issue. The forward lurch issue is still there. The dealership requested to wait for the second part of the BECM software update to become available later in October or early November.

Old 10-13-2023, 05:43 PM

I had my battery caharge limted to 75% with traction battery fault warnings after software update and dealership said it needs new bcm which can take upto 1 month to arrive. I don't understand if they don't have parts why they build cars before that i had windscreen leak problems and it took them 2 months to get hold of windscreen in uk in uk. Totally stuck with this car earlier they had changed 12v battery as well & and battery conctors. Most unreliable car form 10s of cars i have driven untill now.

My mach e is more reliable at 40% cheaper price i paid for jag.

Old 11-03-2023, 01:09 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

I bought my 2019 I-Pace about a year and a half ago and it has been great. Until I took it to JLR Marin for its first required service. Got there just in time for the software update. After that update, range and charging behavior seemed unchanged as did indicated range. Then, about three weeks ago, I drove home with a low state of charge and plugged into my ChargePoint charger. Left it plugged in until I wanted to drive it, a couple days later. Unplugged and started to back out until noticed that it had not charged at all. Pulled back up to our garage and plugged it back in. Got error message on dash--Charge Error or some such. I fiddled around with testing the 12-volt battery and trying to charge it. No joy and when I messed a bit with trying to back out again it went completely dead. No display, no movement. Dead.

Had it towed to the nearest dealer--Jaguar/Land Rover Marin, over 100 miles from our home--and waited for a response. Nothing. Waited a few days and called. Told that the battery controller (or some such) was kaput and was on order. No such part in stock in the USA so had to come from England (or maybe Slovenia?). Waited and waited. No word. Called this afternoon. Service advisor said that JLR's latest batch of these controllers from its supplier didn't meet its standards so were rejected. He seemed from his experience in similar situations that this could take MONTHS to resolve!

And no I was not offered a loaner car. The original owner of our I-Pace lived in Orange County (near Disneyland) and bought the car new of course from some dealer down there so no history with JLR Marin. I have a Land Rover LR3 as well but also bought it used (many years ago) and have not had any dealer service on it so have no previous JLR dealer experience. Ditto my XK8 coupe. Owned it seven years and no trips to a dealer. Too far away.

Last edited by 150FHC; 11-03-2023 at 01:11 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something
Old 12-22-2023, 02:03 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Update on Battery Controller Failure

Picked up our I-Pace today from JLR Marin, where it was towed (2 1/2 months ago) after its battery controller failure. Nice to have it back but am now thinking about an extended warranty. Original warranty will expire in a few moths. Any comments on that? Cost?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-25-2023, 09:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update

Originally Posted by hotpinkturban
I got the recall update. Had to take it in to the dealership for it. After that, started having battery issues. I booked an appointment to bring the car back in, but the car broke down before that and I had to get it towed into the dealership. It was towed July 26. I am still in possession of a loaner vehicle as I await a further software update before they will replace the modules that need replacing. It wouldn't be so bad if they had an I-Pace loaner, but I'm buying gas again
Update: My dealership is telling me the latest delay was due to a backorder on the battery sealant. As of writing this, I am still in an ICE loaner vehicle. I'm optimistic that I will get the car back early in the new year, but they are now replacing the 12v battery as they had another fault come up on their latest test drive.
I haven't fully caught up on this thread yet, but I'm concerned with a lot of the news right now around the battery fires and the LG Chem batteries. Anyone else concerned about keeping their I-Pace indoors? My garage is right below my bedroom, so I'm considering moving on from the I-Pace.

Last edited by hotpinkturban; 12-25-2023 at 09:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Jaguar I-Pace Battery Recall