Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Dash Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dash Kit Questions

So I would like to spice up the dash of my X-Type. And I am searching all over for burl dash kits. But I am confused as to how they even work.

Am I to understand that the kits are just plastic pieces that glue ON TOP of the existing plastic? Or do I remove the plastic plates surrounding the steroe or window controls and replace them with new plates?

How am I to match the pieces already in place...? And they already don't match each other...!

I would hate to spend $250 on a bunch of cheesy plastic that sits on top only to pop or peel off later.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most dash kits are, indeed, plastic veneers. I am redoing my dash with walnut burl veneer, but it's actual wood. I'm getting it through a local wood crafter's place. If you want to do a custom dash, but you don't want cheesy plastic stuff, you will have to do a lot of work. I plan on taking about a week or so to redo the dash in my 76 XJ12L. I have to special order the veneer because of the length of the dash. Some wood veneers come with 6 or 8 pieces, and are designed to line up, etc., but unless you're very competent with wood working, you'll never get the lines perfect to where you won't see them (hence the reason I'm special ordering the single piece...lol).

You can guarantee that anything "stick-on" is going to eventually peel off. That's another reason why I'm doing mine myself. I'll use the wood veneer, epoxy glue, and clear polyurethane with a sunblock additive over the top of it.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I would recommend you
www.wooddashexperts.com .I have got a few dash kits of them and the items described and sent as it was supposed to be

Old 11-26-2009, 06:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

Stimpy, when it comes to the burled wood, trying to find something that is going to match is going to be difficult. About the only way that you will get a decent match is to have your option of 5-10 pieces and then test each one one at a time to see which looks best. The only other option is to take all the wood pieces you currently have, add them to the pieces you are looking to get converted over to wood and then have a local shop do all the pieces together. A bit more expensive, but when you see the final product, you will be very satisfied.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by cadillac
I would recommend you
www.wooddashexperts.com .I have got a few dash kits of them and the items described and sent as it was supposed to be
The fact that they don't carry a dash kit for MY car blows...lol

Old 11-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if I am to take all of the pieces to a local wood shop and have them worked over... how on earth do i find a wood shop or craftsman that I trust to do it. I am completely out of my element with this...

(should have paid more attention to shop classes in highschool )

Old 11-28-2009, 10:08 PM

You go to whitepages.com, type in wood crafters in the business type/name section, call one or more, and find the oldest person out of the oens you call. He'll be the one to be the best. You think I'm kidding, but that's how I found the guy who's going to custom make my walnut burl steering wheel cover.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:47 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

This is perfect timing! I was just going to post a question about the dash kits. I am actually getting ready to buy mine off ebay for 177.00 in the burl color laminate. That is what is in my car anyhow and it is peeling and cracking.

The one thing I did notice about the kit though is that it 2 pieces short and I do not understand why? The diagram they show on the webpage shows the correct pieces but it is missing the map light piece and the rear passengar center console piece.

Also, what it the correct method for removing the old laminate? Do you just chip it off or do you use a hairdryer to heat it and the old glue up and then peel it off??? Please help with this question.

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 11-29-2009, 06:43 AM

I'm not sure with your dashboards, but if you look at my thread in INTERIORS concerning MY dash board, you'll see exactly how I did mine. If you follow MY instructions, be prepared for a LOT of tedious work.