Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

Limited slip differential REVISITED

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

I believe that the Lincoln LS has the same rear diff as the S-Type & XJ350. And I know that several owners have done a LSD mod to their cars. Also the V8 LS comes with 3.58 gears. Might be an option for you.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Panthro
I believe that the Lincoln LS has the same rear diff as the S-Type & XJ350. And I know that several owners have done a LSD mod to their cars. Also the V8 LS comes with 3.58 gears. Might be an option for you.
I have an XKR (05).
It would be nice if there was a cross reference to the Lincoln LS though for other parts potential swaps. For example, what other "models" use the same thermostat? etc. It isn't so much a $$ savings as it is selection versitility in terms of aftermarket components - how to find which ones might work. Searches on XKRs produces little due to the low production numbers.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Panthro

Next ? if this does bolt right in which would be GREAT! Is, would the trans/ecu be able to relize this and the speedo/odometer be ok....

If so I will be finding me one and popping that bad boy in....

Old 03-07-2010, 10:15 PM

Is there any LSD that will fit into/work with the XKR?

Old 03-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwx
Is there any LSD that will fit into/work with the XKR?
LSD yes, lower gearing no. But for your purposes I think the LSD would make all the difference in the world.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

From what I can find, the 07-09 XKs have the same differential as the S-Types. (Check post #34.)
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...upgrade&page=4
So, the LSD swap thing should work. Basically you need a GEN 1 LS/Thunderbird/S-Type diff housing, rear axles, and ring & pinion and a 99-04 Mustang 28-spline LSD of your choice. The main reason to use the older housing is the for 03' Lincoln & Jaguar changed the design somewhat of the differential, so swapping in a LSD would require a custom (expensive) install. Now I personally have not done this mod, yet, but several (6 or 7?) LS owners on another forum I'm on have done so. One guy in particular has a torsen t2 on his supercharged LS! Hope this helps you some.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by viscoussquirrel
LSD yes, lower gearing no. But for your purposes I think the LSD would make all the difference in the world.
Would the Quaife LSD differential fit in an 05 XKR? (update)

I just looked at their brochure and it appears not. Only 2006 onwards.

So are my only choices between having 1-wheel-drive or have it welded up as a true posi-traction? The latter loses cornering ability but makes for impressive drifting. I gather Jaguar greatly handicapped the XKR's potential to protect Aston Martin.

Last edited by dfwx; 03-08-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

This post is getting crazy, if you read my post in January I mentioned the Quaife unit being available from Racing Green Cars, TL Jaguar & Paramount Performance ( I believe you mentioned speaking to Gerald there) they all will sell the unit. They have 2 different units steel or aluminum cars(1997-2006 2007-2009). Yes LSD makes a huge difference, just ask Avos for his opinion he had one custom made a few years ago, I have had one for a couple of years as well.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:40 PM

I do recall the posts. But I noticed that Quaife states in their material they only manufacture Quaife units for XKRs from 06 onward and Paramount doesn't respond to any inquiries asking a price quote. I'll inquire of Racing Green. I've also inquired of this from an Australian company.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:47 PM

http://www.paramount-performance.com...ferential.html

http://www.thejaguarshop.com/Jaguar/...-2006/b%7C.htm

Login | Register
PistonHeads » Gassing Station » Other Marques » Jaguar QUAIFE Automatic Torque Biasing (ATB) LSDs for Jaguar XKs

SearchMy Stuff What's New:3:12:24:72

My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic

AuthorDiscussionNormanD
Original Poster
1,344 posts
59 months
http://www.thomsonlocal.com/TL-Jagua...mpanyinfo.html[report]
[news]
Wednesday 27th May 2009
I have today found out that the new QUAIFE QDF–3W ATB LSDs for the aluminium-bodied XK and XKR (X150) models were issued yesterday.
These should also fit the aluminium bodied XJ and XJR's although this is to be confirmed

As agreed, these are now available for fitment by your preferred Jaguar supplier, whose contact details are listed below:

Racing Green Cars Ltd - 01252 894788
enquiries@racinggreencars.com

TL Jaguar Ltd - 0118 973-7779
tom@TLJaguar.co.uk

Paramount Performance Ltd - 01753 533633
info@paramount-performance.com

If you own a steel-bodied XK8 or XKR (X100) model, you may like to know that we are scheduled to receive the first issue of QDF-5W ATB LSDs - specially developed for these cars – by 3 June.
Again these should fit the steel bodied XJ8 and XJR's also to be confirmed

The fitted price for any of the above products will be £1560 + VAT = £1794, no matter from which supplier you purchase it !

Fitting is not a five minute job. Be prepared for your car to be on the ramps for at least a full working day.

http://www.thomsonlocal.com/TL-Jagua...mpanyinfo.html

Last edited by Jaxkr; 03-08-2010 at 08:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Panthro (03-14-2012)
Old 03-08-2010, 09:01 PM

The above post will hopefully answer any LSD questions. Sorry for the layout.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:00 PM

Thank you (very VERY much) for taking the time for ALL the links. Really, I appreciate the effort and sharing very much.

I've inquired of this from Paramount for 2 weeks with no response about the Quaife for an 05 XKR. In general, Paramount has become non-responsive ever since I inquired of a Quaife for my O5 - and now even to my stating some specific items (not inexpensive ones) I'd like to order - and only need to know the total costs with shipping and how they want to be paid. So Paramount is starting seem like a deadend. Just like many companies (such as mine) will not ship to another country, that may apply to some UK companies.

I had just found the Pistonheads forum earlier tonight and immediately sent an email asking how much total and how to pay for a Quaife for an 05 XKR. While they say they have it on the forum, it does not specify pre-06 units on their website.

Again, thank you for your time and research to respond. There is SO little interest in modifying these cars this is proving a real challenge. Any direction is very helpful as I'm acting mostly in a vacume.

On your message (again, thank you!) I have just emailed Racing Green, basically asking of some same components I inquired of from Paramount including a Quaife unit for an 05 XKR.

I haven't read anyone having actually obtained or put one into a pre-06 XKR or seen any "buy-it" shopping cart button for one, nor has anyone yet confirmed they actually have it for sale. I'd like some confirmation from the company that they actually have it rather than just clicking on a generic shopping cart button in UK dollars for a Quaife unit - then finding they put an 06+ unit not reading my follow up or message specifying that mine is pre 06.

In short, so far I have not been able to obtain a company saying "yes, send us $$$ or UK$ and we'll ship your a Quaife LSD for your O5 XKR" in response to my specific inquiry. Doesn't mean it won't happen of course, I just haven't seen a shopping cart or gotten a response that says "yes, it'll go in your pre-06 XKR." Seems I should confirm that first, since the standard unit is 06+.

Last edited by dfwx; 03-08-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:24 AM

Follow up. "Done." Thanks.
I'm also asking the UK guys if they have any solution to the lowering gear ratios question. I would suspect they are more up on modifying Jaguars and what can and cannot be done.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:46 AM

The Quaife LSD and carriage is just over $1700 delivered to USA.

Any Jaguar mechanics out there can estimate what a dealership would charge to put it in?

While there will always be exhaust systems and cold air kits and "pre-intercooler" radiators could be custom built, components such as the Quaife for as limited a production cars as pre -06 XK8/Rs tend to vanish away forever and are beyond having custom built. If anyone thinks they might every want one, I suggest getting it and storing it. I can't imagine anyone who paid for and wants the extra performance of an XKR over an XK8 being satisfied without a limited slip differential. I speculate the only reason Jaguar didn't put one in is to protect the superior per-unit profit-value of the Aston Martin - the same reason a manual transmission is never an option in a Jaguar. There has to be some reason to pay an extra $35-40K for a Jaguar on a lesser chassis with a different grill and emblem.

Last edited by dfwx; 03-09-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:03 AM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwx
The Quaife LSD and carriage is just over $1700 delivered to USA.

Any Jaguar mechanics out there can estimate what a dealership would charge to put it in?

While there will always be exhaust systems and cold air kits and "pre-intercooler" radiators could be custom built, components such as the Quaife for as limited a production cars as pre -06 XK8/Rs tend to vanish away forever and are beyond having custom built. If anyone thinks they might every want one, I suggest getting it and storing it. I can't imagine anyone who paid for and wants the extra performance of an XKR over an XK8 being satisfied without a limited slip differential. I speculate the only reason Jaguar didn't put one in is to protect the superior per-unit profit-value of the Aston Martin - the same reason a manual transmission is never an option in a Jaguar. There has to be some reason to pay an extra $35-40K for a Jaguar on a lesser chassis with a different grill and emblem.
Someones been watching top gear on youtube...

Old 03-18-2010, 06:27 PM

Did you order a Quaife unit for your car ???? If so which of the suppliers did you use??

Old 03-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

I think you can only get that through Paramount or Racing Green.

Last edited by Panthro; 03-19-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:32 AM

The other supplier is Tom @ TL Jaguar

Old 03-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

We all know that the XK's have LSD available, I want to know about the S-Type

Old 03-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by super_jag
We all know that the XK's have LSD available, I want to know about the S-Type
+1 would be nice

Quick Reply: Limited slip differential REVISITED