Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

ZF 6HP26 Steel pan with replaceable filter option

Old 04-11-2017, 03:35 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ZF 6HP26 Steel pan with replaceable filter option

Hi Folks,

I'm keen to replace the fluid and filter for in my 4.2 ZF 6HP26 transmission.
The supplier gave me the normal options. They were an:-

Aftermarket filter ($NZ123),
OEM C2C38963 ($NZ198),
And to my surprise a trans pan upgrade kit with steel pan plus filter ($NZ373). This steel pan is reusable with a replaceable filter option which comes with a gasket ($NZ62).

So if I'm intending to keep the vehicle long term and want to service it from time to time the steel pan option sounds resonable. I'm guessing the steel pan was intended for the transmissions with 4x4 vehicles. However I don't intend off road in my xkr!

Has any one here used this option? or is this a possible error, as I've never seen this steel pan option before listed by jaguar? Any thoughts? Cheers

Old 04-12-2017, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

The 6HP26 and its Ford produced cousin the 6R80 are used in many different cars and can share many of the same parts (even the internals).

I have come across the steel pan option before and like you suggest, I think the intent was for trucks or drag race types.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:55 PM

The big question is it compatible with our jags. My guess is that it is but apart from the replaceable filter aspect does the filtration and and performance specification of the same standard?

There is a thread about the Mackie Automatic Transmissions and how they recondition/service these transmissions. Their experience suggests that the 6HP26 should be serviced every 25k miles. If this is done then the transmission will probably have double the normal life.

This makes the replaceable filter in the steel pan option atractive although initially expensive but in the long run better on the wallet and the environment which isn't a bad thing.

Had anyone fitted one or would recommend not to.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Have fitted the steel one on our RRS about 100Kmiles ago (which had obviously the plastic one stock), and am very pleased with it. There wasn't a choice to be honest, as the plastic one would have required more work to get it fitted due to space restraints (tiny but enough for much extra work). I learned about the steel one which was used back then on BMW's and got a tip from the RRS forum and was quickly sold to that one.

Thanks bytheway as this reminds me to change the filter and fluid again.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (04-15-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 03:07 AM

Did a bit more research on the steel pan.Here are some snippets I captured from a BMW forum.

"The steel sump was developed for the Land Rover HP26 to facilitate replacement of trans pan due to suspension beam running directly under the pan. The plastic pan can be cut and slid out then replaced with the steel unit and avoid engine removal.
They made it smaller so that it could be removed from the Land Rover without removing suspension components. The one inch shallower design is small enough to slip the new metal pan into place without having to raise the engine and transmission (remember the plastic one has to be destroyed to squeeze it out). The fact that it is metal allows 1" shorter walls to still have the structural integrity to generate proper pressure evenly to the gasket to seal the pan on the transmission main body.

Keep in mind that you are losing app. 1 liter on your transmission fluid capacity. (More frequent fluid changes required) The fluid level has to be checked with the overflow plug in the pan, not the trans
housing anymore. If the filler plug in the housing is used to adjust fluid level, the trans is overfilled by app. 1 liter and will overheat-fail".

So losing a litre is not a good idea in my book in particular a high powered jag. I can't validate any of the above, but thought the above was worth noting. I'd steer clear of using the steel pan.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

The steel oil pan was from a BMW X5 (6HP26x), and there has never been one specially made for the Range Rover. The difficulty with the RRS one is the oil filter pipe, that one sticks so far out that you can’t remove/install the pan without some extra work, so that part is true. The Jaguar plastic oil pan and the RRS one are the same.

I read mixed reasons as to why there is an extra filler pipe on the metal pan, i.e. some say it was due to an axle or something else that was in the way of the original fill level point for these specific car models.

I need to change the filter/oil, so can check if there is a difference in oil capacity.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:33 PM
C22
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes , you really need to change the filter so can check if there is a difference in oil capacity.