Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Can't log in without taking down my firewall....

Old 01-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts
Default Can't log in without taking down my firewall....

Yesterday the forum decided that it did not like my browser, Internet Explorer, and it would not allow me to log in. I took the suggestion to clear all cookies, all temporary files, all history, etc. etc. etc. Still couldn't log in. So today, before going to the site, I disabled my firewall. Now, with my firewall down, I can log in as usual. But I do not likeoperating without my firewalldoing its job. So what changed on jaguarforums.com to suddenly make it not willing to allow me to log in with my firewall enabled. I have made absolutely no system changes whatsoever. A Dell Dimension desktop running Windows XP Home Edition using Internet Explorer as my browser. All of the other sites and forums that I frequent have absolutely no problem with my system. Everything is normal except jaguarforums.com.

So what is going on and how can I resolve it? I am not willing to switch browsers....

Old 01-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Can't log in without taking down my firewall....

I don't think its the jf forum - look thru your firewall settings maybe a recent update to the software enabled the blocking of cookies?

Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Not so - I frequent at leastfour other forums for Jaguar, Lexus, Dodge, and Jeep, and they all continue to work just fine. The only glitch has been with this forum.

Any other suggestions?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to tools, select "internet options", select "privacy" tab, type the jaguar forum site and select "allow" then "ok"

next, make sure this website is not listed on your "restricted sites" under "security" tab.. go to security, browse through the restricted sites, if you see this forum site on the list then remove it..

let me know if it worked...

Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 PM

Please don't take this the wrong way...

It has to be something in your firewall software - you said when you turn it off you can get in - no? I would go thru it with a find tooth comb. If you wanted to you could block all internet traffic with those software firewalls. Sometimes I find they do more harm than good, besides, they eat up a ton of your computers resources.

There is nothing threatening about the jf. Even if they did change something, they are not going to reverse it.You can never go wrong with a good hardware appliance,besides Windows has a firewall built in and it works great. Just make sure your virus protection is up to date, but still they do not know every virus know to man - just be careful on the internet. I can go on an on if you want me to.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with that too Christo

Old 01-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Default RE: Cant log in without taking down my firewall....

Yeah man, you should see some of the equipment I have in my home. My office is full boxes withblinking lights...

Old 01-28-2009, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

elardizabal,

Thanks for the suggested fix. Unfortunately, it did not change anything. I still must disable my firewall before I can successfully log in and post.

Again, the problem is happening only with this site. I will have to decide whether it is worth it to have totake my firewall down every time I want to post here. This is a great Jaguar resource site, and it is very unfortunate that I am experiencing these problems here....

Old 01-28-2009, 08:51 AM

Try this, click on tools, internet options, advanced, then restore advanced setting (may also say restore defaults)

Did you add jf to a trusted site? This may over ride your firewall settings.

Then click on the security tab, click on the green check mark (trusted sites), click the sites button.

On this next screen first uncheck the box at the bottom if its checked (require server verification), then above type in the url - www.jaguarforums.com and click ok all the way out. Close your browswer and try again!Now when you load the jf you should see a green check mark in the lower right of the browser frame (just to see if it was done correctly).

But either way,if itdoesnt work, please give an honest attempt to check your settings. There are some many links and pages to go thru but it has to be in there. I am sure the ther site place cookies on your machine- you will know thisbecuase you wont have to log back in after you have closed your browser and then opened it again.I assume every time you come to the jf you have to login again?

If you could also provide me with the exact thing that makes you think something has changed, the sequence of events andwhat happens - what message - etc - i will be gald to work with you...

Old 01-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

christo,

I followed all of your suggestions above. These actions made no difference. I still must take my firewall down in order to log in and post.

I deal with dozens of websites every day. None cause me any problems except this one. I'm not going towaste anymore time trying to find out why. I don't have that much time to spend on it, and frankly, it isn't that important to me. I will not abandon my firewall for just this one website - it has saved our system too many times in the past from on-line crooks.

If I need to post here, I'll do so briskly and sparingly so my firewallwill be down for only a minute or two at a time. That is the only solution I have right now....

Old 01-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Hey jon, sorry to hear about all the problems we are having.

Do you have to take your corporate firewall offline or just the one on your pc? What kind is it? I can look into it for you if you want? I do this for a living and a hobby too and I have fun while doing it - it fascinates me believe it or not. In the past I have worked on systems for visa, master card, reuters, for all the stock exchanges from NY to LIFFE. Currently working for local government in NJ. These all are muliti million dollar networks. I would be glad to get thru this with you - if you want...

Old 01-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

christo,

Iuse my home desktop PC system.It hasa DSL connection through verizon.com. I haven't been in the corporate world since late 2002.

My home desktop security system, including the firewall, is Computer Associate's Internet Security Suite Plus 2009. It has a firewall, anti-virus, anti-spam, anti-spyware, and a website inspector. Just renewed my annual subscription in mid-December. I've been using this product since mid-2004 and it is great. No problems until this one popped up with jaguarforums.com.

Let me know if you figure out a fix that works....

Old 01-28-2009, 02:26 PM

Ok, lets start with this link...

http://homeofficekb.ca.com/CIDocumen...A8C6AC93E75BBF

Old 01-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

christo,

Many thanks to you for your persistence. Following the instructions on the Computer Associateslink you provided abovehas apparently fixedthe issue with this site. I can now log in and post once againwith my firewall up and running. Ifthe problemsurfaces again, or ifany other strange happenings begin to occur when I'm on the jaguarforums.com site, I will let you know.

Thanks again for taking the time to assist in fixingthis issue....

Old 01-29-2009, 07:25 AM

Your welcome!