Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Organized Thread Folders? What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Organized Thread Folders? What do you think?

What do you guys think about updating to organized thread folders for each vehicle? I'm not going to lie, I know that would take some work and time to lay out, but it would help us target the right information more readily.

Check out the folders in this Thunderbird site:

http://forums.tccoa.com/

For example, under S-Type, there could be subfolders named 3.0L, 4.0L, 4.2L, SC 4.2L (R), Suspension, Brakes, Transmission, Interior, Exterior, General Info, etc.

Remember, this is just an IDEA. I'd like to know what you guys think. Right now it just seems that every topic is scattered.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to see it like that, but that's a lot of work. Any volunteers?

Old 03-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Great idea.
I also wish there was some way new members can easily see answers to their questions.
We are all the excited and looking for quick fixes when we join. But it seems like there are approx 10 questions that get asked continuosly every couple of weeks. This can bog down the site and make it kind of boring for established members. This can lead to quick,almost sarcastic replies that might turn off a new member.

How can we get the new members to look around before they jump right in with an old question?
I find the search area to be a little hard to find and use,especially when I first joined and there was so much to soak up here.
Also don't get me wrong, love the new members helping to grow the site,just some way of making things less redundant would help.

Unfortunatley I am not computer savvy enough to figure out a fix...Sorry.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

Exactly. I've seen the same basic question repeated on at least 6 different threads, although I can't say I blame anyone for it. Sticky posts for the most common questions or technical issues could help prevent the redundancy.

It's often the case that a newbie does a search and doesn't quite find exactly the answer they are looking for so they post a new thread, only to have a seasoned member provide a link to a thread that mostly covered that same question two years ago.

As for the sarcasm, that's really too bad. It says more about the person responding than about the newbie. Fortunately it seems there are some really cool, knowledgeable people here willing to share their experience in a more mature, sage manner.

Last edited by Classic_Engr; 03-13-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

The numbers are why we won't, at least at this point, separate the 3.0s from the 4.0s and such... there'd only be a handfull of threads in each. Its not just membership numbers either, but the amount of each model sold, compared to other car makes...they just aren't there. We've already gotten an exterior and an interior section, though most still post in their respective areas anyway, and if its specific to their car...its the right thing to do.

And, right now,we already have enough double posts with the 'general' tech area being doubled up with the model threads, I can only imagine the redundancy if the various sub-topics were created as suggested in your first post.

We're all teaching the new members on how to properly post, in fact, there's a MUST READ thread, just for them. Its in the new member area, and a sticky...we cant make them read it, however. As long as we're polite about the search function, the FAQ areas, and how to get the help they need, the forum will work. I've seen much MUCH worse treatment of new members, and the repeated questions on other forums. We treat our fellow jag owners with a higher level of respect...or at least I think we do. Inappropriate treatment is not permitted here.

Just my thoughts...based on my 3 years here.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  19.3 KB

certainly an idea to think about for the future Classic, thank you

As per H20's comments, they pretty much nail it at the moment. We all try to be as helpful as possible and the search funtion is there too. Its worked pretty much fine till now, although thats not to say it won't need improving / updating at some point.
The other factor is time. There are only so many admin / mods to carry out the day to day stuff to keep the forum free from spam for everyone and running / deleting / editing topics and moving posts where necessary. The time allocated by myself and the mods is geiven freely and only so much is available

Certainly something for the future though I'd say

Old 03-15-2010, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Just my 2€ worth. For the reasons outlined above I don't think it is necessary to categorize the individual sections into sub-sections, and sub-sub-sections.
I don't get into the S-Type or X-Type or for that matter the XK sections very often because I have very little knowledge of these cars. However over in the older XJ sections, yes there are recurring questions "How to program the Alarm" being a prime example. When this arises I have found that a simple request to Admin is generally sufficient to create a generic Sticky response in the top of the forum FAQ.

In this way, we can if need be, direct the questioner towards this before getting stuck into a long series of posts. One thing to remember I believe is that this is an interactive forum and not just an encyclopedic reference guide, and when the questioner asks for help it is because they have what is to them a very personal and important issue and by asking for and receiving assistance they are becoming involved as part of the community, and will hopefully then start to feel able to contribute their own experiences.

Personally I enjoy a little sarcasm or playful banter but care should be taken when addressing a 'New Member' it's easy enough to look at a post count, or posts by a member to hopefully judge what sort of tone to take. It's a question of balance. As stated above malicious or personal attacks are just not on.

One suggestion I will make however, whilst it is impossible to force people to read the New Member Guidelines, the How to Search info, Post Pics etc. I feel that this information may be somewhat buried in the various Forum sections, and may be missed by people.

My suggestion is to create a New Locked Forum section right at the very top of the Forum main page entitled along the lines of 'How to and Forum Guidelines' to include the Forum use FAQ,s and Member Guidelines.

From here, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=18 and here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/
In this way it may help New and existing members to quickly find their way towards the basic Forum use hints/tips etc., or to redo the description of this section; Jaguar Forums Help & Suggestion Center
Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better Jaguar Forums? Tell us here.

To Jaguar Forums Help & Suggestion Center
Need help with Jaguar Forums? How to post advice and guidelines. Ask. Have a suggestion to better Jaguar Forums? Tell us here.

I know that the information in my suggestion is repeated in various places in the Forums, but people are still not finding it. To make it a standalone heading might make it easier for people to quickly find a solution.

Sorry to all if this is a bit long winded.

All the best,