Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Thought starters...suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 08:42 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Thought starters...suggestions

One of the problems I'm seeing more often is that for those of us who have spent months and more likely years living with our Jags is that when someone new comes on board asking for help we offer it gladly but we also seem to expect them to be up to our level despite their having little to no experience.

When I started I wouldn't know a DTC from a USB or a short term trim from a hole in a wall. Everyone refers to an ELM327 as if it were some sort of magic when in fact it's just a computer chip that translates the data coming from a cars OBD plug into something your computer can understand in its serial port, or you phone can get wirelessly. (personally I think phones are too small to be of much use if your doing some serious diagnostic work, but that's me)

We should set up some area in the 'stickies' section that deals with fuel trims, lean and rich codes, and other areas of concern that appear all too regularly. We could also have a section dealing with suspension conversions, and so on.

We need to see newcomers as future contributors but start by going over the basics that apply to their question without using acquired engineering lingo they probably won't understand.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:41 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

An excellent suggestion.

The information is available on the forum but is spread across all of the model forums. A generic thread could be setup in General Tech Help as a 'sticky', subdivided into topics with links to individual model forums where there are differences.

Are you volunteering ........?

Graham

Old 05-13-2017, 07:07 AM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default With some help I might

Originally Posted by GGG
An excellent suggestion.
Are you volunteering ........?

Graham
Sure I could do some of it since I'm retired (or is that retarded) but I could use some help tracking down some stuff and there are members who know a hell of a lot more than I do who could make suggestions or possibly write a section and hand off for me to organize.

I just see new members struggling to understand and older members getting frustrated when someone isn't yet up to speed or doesn't understand the 'lingo' and we all too often seem to be plowing the same ground over and over.

I'll kick the idea around over the weekend.