Mark V - X 420G 1948 - 1970

MK VII project

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MK VII project

My father in Law recently GAVE me an MK VII Body still in well preserved condition.. all the chrome is still there .. the gauges.. the tires... but the engine is done.. and i honestly dont have the money to restore it to all original.. i honestly dont even know where to start.. if anyone has any leads on parts for this car at decent prices... let me know.. i hope to get started within the next couple of months.. i also have no idea what year it is... but i know the body style is an MKVII...

Old 10-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Not helping you here, but a restoration is going to cost you an arm and a leg, and then some other bits, when you find something unexpected.

If funds are tight, DON'T START, you will never finish.

Best thing IMHO, is to sell to a wealthy enthusiast.

Sorry to sound negative, and I wish you all the very best.

Keep us posted.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Received 6,251 Likes on 5,451 Posts

I agree this kind of restoration is a labour of love and buckets of cash.

Do you get on well with your FIL?

Old 11-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Default wealthy enthusiast??

Any Idea on how much someone would offer for one?? i have pics of it.. im not sure how much to ask for it.. but i know they are pretty rare....

Old 12-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Good luck with your MK VII. The engine will be a big issue, that is where the value in the car really is. Many of the MK cars became donors for XKs. We bought our MK VII that is almost complete, not too much rust and runs for less than $3000 and they guy had it for sale for over a year, so the market is not so great for projects. We've seen quite a few complete, running "drivers" for under $10k. You car will need to be a labor of love, not profit. What is the serial number? There are some lists online that can help you narrow the year. Does it have windshield washers? That was new during 1952.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Default I'm in a similar Boat

Originally Posted by MasterLogray
My father in Law recently GAVE me an MK VII Body still in well preserved condition.. all the chrome is still there .. the gauges.. the tires... but the engine is done.. and i honestly dont have the money to restore it to all original.. i honestly dont even know where to start.. if anyone has any leads on parts for this car at decent prices... let me know.. i hope to get started within the next couple of months.. i also have no idea what year it is... but i know the body style is an MKVII...
I understand the advice you got suggesting you get out while the getting’s good. It will cost money even with you doing the labor I purchased a 1966 S-Type saloon in 1979. Drove it as a daily until a bunch was wrong and then stored it for some years. I started restoring in 2005 and today it is a 100 point car. That was expensive but the result is so amazing!!
Now, on Christmas this year, my wife and son surprised me with a 1961 Mark IX. It is in pieces having been abandoned by another chap that took that advice you got from someone here. I don't have the money but I'm going to take this one step at a time and even if it takes some years, i'm going to rebuild this car. I'll need help just as you will. Think about how many were made and how unique your opportunity is. Hang in there and stay in touch.
Best,
ILOB

Old 12-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Great advice ILOBuxton. Not everyone has Jay Leno's checkbook to just suit back and throw money, but with time you can tackle the project. Also, I have seen quite a few XJ6 series 3's in the u-pull-it junkyards around here that are most likely sitting because of rust and electrical issues, I'd bet they are around you too. There is a good source for an XJ engine for minimal $ to get the project going. You can always go back and find a more correct engine in the future. Nothing gets a project going like hearing it run...

Congrats on your Christmas present ILOBuxton!

The following users liked this post:
ILOBuxton (12-29-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Smile 3.8 XK Motor in the Mark IX

Thanks to Mr. Stewart,
In my case with the Mark IX, the motor is in place after a valve job and I am told is in running order (we'll see about that?). I'll keep you posted.
ILOB