MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Best IRS for a Mk II

Old 01-08-2017, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 299 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Best IRS for a Mk II

It's fair to say that we have many people here who have a lot of experience in this field. & I was wondering if there's ever been a thread that compares the various approaches to ascertaining this most desirable upgrade. I know that there are after market kits available, & I'd like to know the pros & cons of these, along with those that built their own system from scratch.
Personally I bypassed the whole conundrum by buying an S-Type, which already has IRS. But this leads me to my final two questions. 1. Can the S-Type's IRS be modified to fit a Mk II? Can the aftermarket systems benefit an S-Type?

Old 01-08-2017, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by scatcat
It's fair to say that we have many people here who have a lot of experience in this field. & I was wondering if there's ever been a thread that compares the various approaches to ascertaining this most desirable upgrade. I know that there are after market kits available, & I'd like to know the pros & cons of these, along with those that built their own system from scratch.
Personally I bypassed the whole conundrum by buying an S-Type, which already has IRS. But this leads me to my final two questions. 1. Can the S-Type's IRS be modified to fit a Mk II? Can the aftermarket systems benefit an S-Type?

I was going to buy a MKII and like you ended up with a 3.8s and am so glad I did. Here is a posting that gives a number of ways to add IRS to a MKII but both that wide body MKII and the JD Classics are high quality but look pretty involved to make it happen. For the S-type you can upgrade the rear with better springs adjustable coil overs, etc.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...ilable-142615/

Old 01-08-2017, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member

Cool. Just the usual upgrades then. Can the brakes be upgraded too? I'd imagine there'd be a limit that the inboard discs could be improved (e.g. are Vented Discs, Ceramic Rotors, & Multi-Piston Callipers out of the question?). But how involved is the change to outboard discs, & is it worth the hassle?
PS Thanks for the response Primaz. I was expecting to hear your 2c & most interested to hear what it is.

Last edited by scatcat; 01-08-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

only the very late xjs had out board discs,and yes the inboard discs are solid on the IRS
and don't think you can do much to them,
I have just the HA4 solid axel,put in an LSD and discs on the rear will be 320 with 4 pots,
front will be 350 with 6 pots, running 19" wheels

Old 01-08-2017, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Cool. Just the usual upgrades then. Can the brakes be upgraded too? I'd imagine there'd be a limit that the inboard discs could be improved (e.g. are Vented Discs, Ceramic Rotors, & Multi-Piston Callipers out of the question?). But how involved is the change to outboard discs, & is it worth the hassle?
PS Thanks for the response Primaz. I was expecting to hear your 2c & most interested to hear what it is.

Yes you can upgrade them with a later model Jaguar inboard brake that will improve the rear breaking; contact Terry at Jag Outlet Jaguar Parts - JagOutlet 1-800-706-5247 - Fast Shipping - Hablamos Espanol call them as they will know exactly what will work and will set you up with the right street pads, etc.

The following 2 users liked this post by primaz:
csbush (01-13-2017), scatcat (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Primaz. You are the font of all knowledge re S-Types

Old 01-08-2017, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Primaz. You are the font of all knowledge re S-Types

Thanks, I ran into enough issues we had to resolve on our own so I am glad to help others avoid that aggravations I maybe I'll get good karma

Terry is a great resource both for used parts as they have a full Jaguar only wrecking yard and sell new parts often less than anyone else. They have a lot of parts not on their website so I always call him first for parts before I go elsewhere.