MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Fuel system leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel system leak

Reciently purchased a 1965 Jag S-type which drives and runs very well. Today after filling both gas tanks I am finding a fuel leak on the Right side rear. It does not seem to matter which tank I have chosen to supply fuel, the leak persists.
I find fuel running down around the strap holding the Right tank in place.
What I really was looking for is a fuel system diagram. Where is the fuel pump, could the pump be located on this side and so even drawing fuel from the Left show a leak above this tank. I may have over filled the tanks, but no matter since I have driven the car at least 10 miles and the leak persists.
I do not have anyone I trust close by to help me with this issue since my mechanic that supports my Series II E-type is over the Skyway bridge in St. Petersburg and I live south in Manatee county.
Advice appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel system leak-1965-jag-s-type1.jpg  
Old 01-29-2016, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 487 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...k-links-67791/
Download the parts and service manual and on the service manual on page c.17 there is an exploded diagram of the fuel system.

The pumps are located in the boot on either side of the inner rear fenders.
There will be some access panels covering them.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, see the individual pumps each side. Does the switch on the dash select the individual fuel pump as well as the sending fuel level gauge? There is no indication on the diagram of where the selection between R and L takes place.
again, thanks and let me know your thoughts on the above comment.
George

Old 01-29-2016, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 487 Posts

Now that I can't answer, I've lead you to believe that I have an "S" type, but I actually have a 340 (one fuel tank) _ sorry.
I had a look at the wiring diagram and the reprint is not very good, plus the fact that the colour code table has been cut off.
So trying to answer your question from that is impossible.

This forum is quite active, so I am sure someone with an S Type will come along soon to answer you question.

You can answer this question though, does it leak while the fuel pumps are on (key on position) or when the car is off ?

EDIT:
Looking at things and re-reading your first post, my experienced guess is that the breather line on the right tank has failed or has become disconnected and/or the gasket on the sending unit may have failed, but that would be unusual, but not unheard of if the car has been sitting for a bit.

However, even after 10 miles, the leak persists, the leak may be at the fuel line junction "T" in the diagram.
It depends where the "T" is and if it's close to the right tank.

Some one with an S Type will be able to answer this better.

Last edited by JeffR1; 01-30-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Each tank has an individual pump mounted on top of the tank. You can access the pump and plumbing by removing the black carboard cover at the side of the boot. Should be clear were the leak is