MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

MK2 automatic to manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MK2 automatic to manual conversion

Hi Guys, just a few queries on this conversion, before I spend the bucks and get out the tools.

Is it better to buy a new custom bellhousing to mate a Supra W57/58 to the XK? Or simply buy the conversion plate that will attach the new gearbox to an existing MK2 Moss manual bellhousing? Dellow in Oz will sell me a new custom bellhousing for around $700, Realm in the UK will sell me a kit with conversion plate, but then I would still need to source a Moss manual bellhousing to mount it to.

Secondly, will the Supra box go in without any tunnel alterations?

Should I use the flywheel and clutch from the Supra box on the back of the XK engine, or can I use the existing flywheel from my automatic set up with the original groaning Borg Warner?

What's the distance from the end of the bellhousing to the middle of the shift in a manual MK2 and would one of the four or five shift options on the Supra come close to the position the shift should sprout from the tunnel?

Is it easy to connect the front of the existing MK2 prop shaft to the tail of the Supra box?

I'm UK-based but currently working in the Philippines where these Toyota boxes seem pretty common. Would it be wise to source one here and if so, roughly what should I pay for a used, untested example fresh from Japan (I know these boxes are strong, but I won't buy one pulled from a knackered Manila taxi that has done half a million miles)?

Assistance with any of the above queries, or links to epic tales of conversion from other classic Jag owners most gratefully received!

Cheers,

Shamus

Old 04-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

why not fit a manual 4 speed with o/d from a mk2?
I know the Supra box is smoother etc but the originality would appeal to me plus I think it may work out cheaper and easier???

Old 04-30-2013, 12:49 AM

Thanks for your suggestion, you may well be right and originality is important to me. Question is, will a later S-type, 420 Jaguar short compact gearbox 4-speed manual with overdrive go straight into a MK2? I understand these are strong, reliable boxes. Could the existing automatic flywheel and starter motor be used or would those need swopping too?

Old 05-01-2013, 09:23 AM

Hi Shamus,

Spoke to Realm, got a little info from him re my XJC conversion. Basically they sell th conversion kit for £1400ish which includes the adaptor, propend, and gearbox etc as per Jaguar XK / MK2 / E Type 2+2 and V12 / XJ6/12 Manual Gearbox | eBay

I would have to find the flywheel, bellhousing, starter motor (all matched from a 3.8 or 4.2 engine) and shorten adjust the propshaft.
He also said the mossbox was cr*p! So I'm reconsidering. I Would like to know if this is the general opinion.
If you want any measurements for the gearbox I've got a mk2 gearbox (synchro in 3 gears, not first) with o/drive and bell housing so maybe able to help. I'm in London too.

The following users liked this post:
MK2 (05-02-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 06:16 AM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Gearbox conversion

Anjum,
I could not tell from the photo. Does the kit include a rear transmission mount? Also that transmission has three different positions for the shifter. You will need the housing that is most appropriate for the Carson that the shifter comes through into the interior at the right point. Perhaps that is not an issue for you since you will need to cut a hole in the gearbox cover for an auto to manual conversion. Not a big deal, but probably should also check into appropriate slave cylinder, throw out arm and etc.

Lin

Old 05-02-2013, 06:24 PM

Just doing basic research at the moment on gearbox conversions for my XJC. I've bought a mk2 gearbox with overdrive which looks basically intact apart from the front spigot which is corroded, which I was looking into using but...

I'm pretty sure that Realm would get the right box appropriate for the car if I chose/could afford to go down that route.

It's all so ***** expensive in England and the cars were made here!!!

Old 07-13-2013, 10:06 AM

I am considering doing the same.. just found this forum, wish I had found it a long time ago.. will watch with interest..

Rich