MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Rear window trim Daimler 250/mk2

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear window trim Daimler 250/mk2

I acquired my Daimler V8 250 earlier this year with the rear window chrome trim not fitted. The previous owner told me that the original trim fell out shortly after he had the window rubber replaced ( a common occurrence?). He bought a secondhand trim set but could not get it to fit. He blamed the rubber and has provided me with a new rubber, but I can't see anything wrong with the rubber in the car and don't want to go to all the trouble of pulling out the window and trying to refit a new rubber if I don't have to.
How can I tell if the problem is in the rubber or the trim or is it just a very difficult job?
Any one out there had any experience with fitting the chrome trim back to the rubber?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Roger D. (Australia)

Old 12-07-2016, 04:44 AM
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

The rear chrome trim, unlike the front windscreen trim, has to be glued to the rubber seal so that it remains in situ. See page n15 of the workshop manual. From memory only one edge of the s/steel trim fits into the rubber seal, hence it relies on the glue to stop it falling off. Not very scientific IMO. When I removed mine for repainting the car, I noticed dobs of old (hardened ) glue on the inside of the trim, which i scraped off and used Silastic when refitting.

To be frank, the whole job was a PITA, the problem being (for me) keeping pressure on the trim while the glue cured, so maybe contact cement would be a better option.

Hope this is of some help.

Last edited by redtriangle; 12-07-2016 at 04:50 AM. Reason: mistrake
The following users liked this post:
csbush (12-07-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

in my experience, when gluing anything to anything, the trick to achieving a positive bond is clamping pressure for at least 24 hours.

so think in reverse, before you glue the trim, think of a way to maintain pressure on the trim over the rubber. No matter what glue you use, you need to "clamp" down on the trim so it will stay as the glue dries.

a flexible board over the entire trim "oval", held tightly in place with bungy cords from each "C" post might do the trick. Something like that.

The following users liked this post:
csbush (12-14-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

You could use strong tape over the full circumference of the window!