New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

'74 XJ6 SII owner saying hello

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 03:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '74 XJ6 SII owner saying hello

Hi everyone,

I have owned my 1974 XJ6 SII in one way or another for quite a few years now. Bit of a long story....

I purchased it off ebay sight unseen from Sydney, Australia with "a gearbox issue". Had it shipped up to Brisbane, Australia. Had the g/box rebuilt along with the SU's and a few other bits and pieces. Drove it around for a year or so and loved it dearly. Got offered a job in Sydney so I reluctantly sold it to my father in law (for what I paid for it of course). He had it for a year or so and wasn't using it so I bought it back off him one Christmas (for the same price again of course). Not having the space in Sydney for it my father agreed to garage it for me. I got married recently (back in Brisbane) and used it as one of the wedding cars (see below for pic). And have just shipped it down to Sydney to live with my wife and I. After spending the last 3 years without it, it's good to have it back.

Throughout the years it has developed a few problems I hope to fix. The main ones being:

Electrical fault - that keeps blowing the 35amp fuse that runs stereo, brake lights, indicators, etc.

Bad compression (tested by a mechanic in Brisbane so I'm told by my father) - I'll need to test this myself and find out what's going on...

Rear brakes completely shot. From what I've read this is going to be a fun job

I've done the right thing with this car (for once in my life) and gone out and purchased the proper workshop manual before I've touched anything. So I'm hoping this will help guide the way

Anyway, thanks for reading and I look forward to being an active member of this forum.

Cheers,
Dan

Old 04-12-2011, 05:48 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Welcome to the forum Dan,

Nice looking car, she's lucky to have you.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Looks like a gorgeous Jag there, Dan.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Hello Dan and welcome to jaguarforums.com. I know that you are anxious to get started and we are anxious to meet you and talk about your car. We have a baseline / criteria that must be met before full access can be granted. Please enjoy the forum and be patient once the baseline has been satisfied full access will be granted. Please continue to post and accept my welcome to the forum.

Oh one other thing you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 PM

Hi,

Thanks Gus. Have just had a good read over the rules and updated my sig.

Cheers again,
Dan

Old 04-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi there Dan welcome aboard the forum, good to have you here
Nice intro and thanks for the info too......great story

Beautiful lookin ride but there is a problem!!......Only one pic....WTF??

Some great guys / DIY'ers and top techs here all friendly and willing to help if able.

There's also more than a few laughs and plenty going on in the Off Topic sections + the regional areas, so check them out.

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can immediately enjoy all the benefits this site has to offer, enjoy the site.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:41 AM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Haha sorry for the lack of photos, I've attached a few more

The day it arrived in Brisbane quite a few years ago:

The day it arrived in Sydney just a few weeks ago:

I have of course started work on her straight away Here It was a couple of nights ago (removing a bit of surface rust in the engine bay around/under the battery box:

Cheers,
Dan

Old 07-24-2012, 06:06 AM

And over a year later, I'm back in Brisbane (requested job transfer) and sure enough, the old girl has been transported back with my (now pregnant) wife and I

Old 07-24-2012, 08:23 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

The Series II looks very good. I can see why you're so attached to it.

You had quite a 'to do' list in April but I expect this has been put on hold with the other major life changing episodes you've stacked up since then!

Graham

Old 07-24-2012, 10:55 PM

Yep, spot on Graham. With the nursery sorted now, I do hope to get started on a few of the to do items...