New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hi im new :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi im new :)

looking into purchasing my first jag
and i figured i would ask the people who know the answers the questions i have about jag ownership

im looking in the 2000 - 2003 range for and s type or x type
ive been searching around and am compiling a list of decently priced ones that i plan to test drive

i wanted to ask you guys about common things i should look for in the S and or X type during a test drive that would tell me to stay away far away from that one lol

im searching in the 10k price range and trying to keep mileages as under 100k miles as i can get for starters

thanks for any help support and advice offered
i prefer the S type style wise but ive found many more X types local then S whats the deal with that? lol

Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 193 Likes on 161 Posts

Hi Phineasgates and welcome to the forum. I think you might have better luck posting these questions under the models section where members can tell you what to look out for.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:43 AM
Received 6,273 Likes on 5,470 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Yes ask in the relevant sections for opinions.
I can say that the general advice for the S is to aim for a 2003 or newer model as this was the "facelift" year and a lot of problems were addressed.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Welcome and glad to see that you are doing your research before jumping into a Jaguar.

I can't really help you with the X Type, I am an S Type owner. Be aware each model has their own quirks.

Norri is correct look for a MY (model year) 2003 and newer in the S Type department. Look here for some common problems with the S Types:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ype-faq-41364/

Are you a DIY type of person, if not will you be upset that when you take your Jaguar to get repaired that $1,000.00 repair bill seems to be about the norm.
Whichever vehicle you decide on, be sure to get an extended warranty if possible!

Now for the fun stuff...Being a Jaguar owner will change your life, it is one of the finest vehicles you will ever drive/own!

Good Luck in your search and hope to see a pic of you and your new S Type soon !

Old 06-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im a total DIY person, unless its an engine rebuild or trans rebuild
anything else i can handle

thanks for the advice guys
im going to try and test drive a red 2003 Xtype tomorrow the sticker says 5995 seems like too good a deal to be true so i want to be meticulous on my test drive

in my area the same car usually runs around 8900 so im thinking they may know of a problem that they arent saying

Old 06-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Welcome to the forum!