New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hi, Newbie here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, Newbie here!

Hello everyone! First post. I'm enjoying learning about my Jag and getting to know everyone via their posts. It's a great forum because it seems that people here really care about helping one another. It is refreshing.

I'm a female, so let's start there, LOL. I just got my first 2004 Jaguar X 3.0 and want to know if there are any good mechanics known in the Bay Area (Left Coast) BEFORE I need them?

It would be nice if we could start a Sticky text file in the General area of the forum that lists the great mechanics whose services users can vouch for (or at least say whether they would recommend them or not. Then Newbies could be directed to download it when we join and not keep asking the same questions over again. Until then, do you know of any that you would refer me to?

Anyhoo, it's great to be here and hello to all!

Old 02-15-2008, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 638 Likes on 440 Posts
Default RE: Hi, Newbie here!

Welcome to the forums !
Enjoy the forums as well as your car

Old 02-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome nowvoyager. Hope you enjoy the forum, and thanks for the great idea. Unfortunately, there are so few good mechanics, much less to note where they are with such a big country. We'll humor this idea as others chime in though. Maybe there are more mechanics than we think.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  6.4 KB

Hi nowvoyager n welcome to the forum..
Great into and good idea too.certainly one to think about for the future as the site grows n more n more mechanics / techs etc join up too.
Check out the mug shot thread and see who's who, maybe add one of yourself. The regional section to see who is in your vicinity too.

Cheers

Jim

Old 02-15-2008, 11:13 PM

Hi and Welcome to the Forum

Old 02-16-2008, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! I'll poke around here and see what I can get into, LOL. I've noticed that some people refer to the dealer as the ***********. I guess some things never change no matter what make of car you drive.

Thanks so much for welcoming me!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:18 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

HEy there...Welcome..

Old 02-16-2008, 09:24 PM

Hi, NewVoyager. I'm new to the Forums myself, but I am enjoying it very much. Welcome aboard!

Old 02-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,145 Likes on 751 Posts

Welcome Now, or Voyager...trying to find a shorter nickname for you... we like to do that. Maybe something simple like just 'Clock' or PST (pacific standard time) until something funnier comes along, and that joke wears off). They call me H20, factoryjaguartech is just FJT, bigdreams is biggie...you get the point and will soon learn our nicks.
That reminds me, you any good with programming the VCR? [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Saw a picture of your x-type in the other woodgrain post, it looks nice! sporty...

Old 02-18-2008, 04:22 PM

h2O, you are "evil" and I will be speaking with someone in charge at your house to give me some backup, LOL. Thanks for the "ribbing" and for giving me your short names!... And "Clock" or "PST" sound good to me ROTFLOL.

And yes, I'm aces at programming VCR's but I can't get it to fit on my DASH [sm=lol.gif]
P.S. I guess you guys will never let me live that Clock episode down, so that means I'm officially a part of the family, LOL

Old 02-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Veteran member

Unless you can perform sign language with my deaf dog Cosmo, you're out of luck looking for a support system at my casa. Plus, cozzie is male, you'd not get far with him either. Let us know when you get that radio virus that makes the volume go up and down as you drive faster. It is going around alot lately.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:22 PM

Virus??? Please tell me that you're pulling my leg. There is no virii in the radio, LOL. And FYI, I speak fluent pooch. Seriously, I'm sorry about your puppy's hearing though.

I am trying to locate info on a burning oil smell and slight engine knock using the search feature here. I hate car problems. I hope the previous owner took good care of it. I am a stickler about such things. From what I've read in the forum though, it seems that the previous owner may have traded it just prior to a major problem. Drat.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Veteran member

Ok, yes, i'm messing with you. I don't even know if you car has the Auto-volume function...mine does, but I don't use it. Enough razzin the new gal.

I remember reading some threads about the burning oil smell, so you may have to troll thru the S-type and X-type sections, and the engine knock could just be the result of previous (and cheap) owner using crappy walmart/grocery store gas in the car. If you are serious about keeping the engine running smoothly, i'd get a fuel system cleaning and a fresh oil change with sythetic lubricant. That way you know exactly what is going into your tank, and know that your engine is protected by the best oil. My mom got knock all the time from buying the cheaper (87 octane) gas, and I had a hard time convincing her it was because she wasn't using the recommend 92 octane in her Lincoln LS. She does now, and it doesn't knock, plus she gets better gas mileage. Sometimes, better fuel pays for itself.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:00 PM

I always use premium. But ours is 91, I believe. I hadn't thought about a fuel cleaning. Hmmm. And the fresh oil is a great place to start. This is my first Jag. I had a benz prior and took it to the dealer for everything. But that thing INHALED gas!!! Thanks so much, h2O... I suspect that you're a jewel in mischievous clothing, LOL

Old 02-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Veteran member

ORIGINAL: NowVoyager

<snip> I suspect that you're a jewel in mischievous clothing, LOL
I've been called worse.

As for the fuel, I try to put nothing in it but 93, unless i'm on fumes and can't get to a better source of petro. You might want to hunt around for a Chevron, Texaco, Phillips 66, Mobil/Exxon around your neighborhood or work, as they always have the (as my girlfriend likes to call it) 'Gucci' gas.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:51 PM

Hello Nowvoyager! Welcome to the forum. I would love to see a listing of Jaguar mechanics by region also. Post some pictures of your X when you get a chance.

Mike

Old 02-19-2008, 05:38 PM

Welcome Nowvoyageur!! you'll find incredible help in here its amazing they've been helping me out since the begining with all the little problems of your car !! Enjoy!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Size:  6.4 KB

Hey mustapha............thanks for the vote of confidence there buddy
Nice to know that wer'e doin sumthin right!

As for the Jag Techs by region?
I'll set up a thread in each regional section asking any / all Jag Techs from that area to post up their approx locations. Hopefully some of the Jag Techs will respond and add their location details.
Please bear in mind though that soem of these guys do not want members calling them / appearing at their dealership asking for them etc etc and may not want to take part. These guys do it for the love of it and totally voluntarily and obviously do not want their privacy disturbed and or possible employment threatened.
Jim

Old 02-19-2008, 06:26 PM

That's great Jim, thank you! I was speaking more in terms of actual mechanics whom we've done business with in our area whom we'd recommend. As opposed to bothering people who don't want to be imposed upon, LOL.

For instance, I'm in California. If I had a great mechanic (which I don't as yet), I could put him/her on that list and then any of our users could do business with that person in the event they need services in my area of the country. And vice versa with someone in say, New York. It's better than trusting someone that no one has ever heard of with your "baby."

Thanks for everything Jim, this is a fantastic forum!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Veteran member

i've PMd ya Jim about the same thing as "Clock" is trying to describe above.

Quick Reply: Hi, Newbie here!