New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Inexperience but willing!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Inexperience but willing!

Hello everybody! I am presently looking to enter the world of Jaguar by purchasing an XK convertible. Not being experience I can use all the help. I am thinkng of purchasing a 2007 in which (I think?) the model changed that is similiar to the new ones. I've been looking at Ebay and Craigslist but have a lot of worries of buying someone elses problems. I am located in Pennsylvania. I've also been told that prior to the 07's, there is a substanital savings of the cost. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Welcome MDPD23, 07s haven't been around long enough to establish any frequent mechanical, electrical, or other critical problem. I would not hesitate at all to get an 07 if you can afford that model year.

For some of the common questions and concerns voiced regarding the earlier xks (1997-2006), take a look at our FAQ thread specifically put together for new shoppers like yourself. There's lots of reading, so please take your time and research all variations of the car and know what you are getting for the price tag you pay.

good luck!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Welcome to the forums , I hope you will like your ride

Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome to the site MPD....you've already been given some good advice.
Good luck with your search for your vehicle and please keep us updated

Old 10-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for your quick replies. I will be doing my homework and let yopu know how I will proceed. Right now it looks like I am looking for an '07 convert.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by MDPD23
Right now it looks like I am looking for an '07 convert.
Nice! Great looks and performance all around. I suggest...blue!

Old 10-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Don't worry about anything claiming a "Car Fax" print out or anything like that. It is only as good as what people report and in most cases, people do not report anything for fear of it lowering the value of the car.

If you are going to buy locally, make it known that you are going to have the car checked out by your own mechanic prior to the sale of the vehicle. The mechanic should be able to spot if any body work has been done to the vehicle or if major work has been done. Sure, it may cost you say $400 to have this sort of service done, but it should garantee a trouble free car and not an inheritance of someone elses problem. If you do the e-bay thing, write the person specifically about making the inspection a condition of the sale and that as long as what is reported on the e-bay posting is true, you will buy the car. Specifically ask if the vehicle has been involved in any accidents or if major work has been done to the car (ie, new motor, new tranny, etc). Between having the seller garantee you those few things and getting the inspection, you should be good to go. If you can get a car with a remainder of a factory warrantee, all that much better.

I have found that if you find someone not willing to let you inspect the car and is not willing to stand behind their words, then there is a problem with the car and you don't want it, even if it costs you more initially (saves you in the long run with the continual problems).

Check out a website for Texas Cars Direct (http://www.texascarsdirect.com). They have some good prices and seem to be willing to make the inspection a condition of the sale. They also tend to have low ball prices with no haggling necessary (granted, at last look, did appear to be slightly higher than they have been in the past).