New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Member - New (to me) JAG!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Member - New (to me) JAG!

Hi Everyone,

I used to be a member on this site because I was so excited to learn all about the 2003 Jaguar S-Type cars. Well I decided to go a more affordable route and buy myself a 2005 Black Ford Five Hundred with 6 speed automatic and grey leather with all the bells and whistles. It cost me much less and the repairs were more affordable. But now, after quite awhile I am back on this site. Only......this time I actually own a JAG! I am super excited and super scared at the same time because I love this car and I don't know a thing about it! So I hope that everyone that can help me will help me because I definitely will need a lot of help with this car. Anyways, I bought a 1988 Jaquar XJ6 with the 3.6 6 cylinder motor, I think! Some have referred to it as an XJ40? I've heard the 3.6 engine may have a turbo? I really don't even know what I have! All I know is that it "seems" to run good. The body on it is decent for the most part. And the best part for me is that I paid a whole $1200 for the car. So with this price I won't be afraid to take chances and repair the car myself, but still I want to make it better, not worse. Pics to follow in hopes that people can actually tell me what I really have!

Attached Thumbnails New Member - New (to me) JAG!-sdc14880_new.jpg   New Member - New (to me) JAG!-sdc14881_new.jpg   New Member - New (to me) JAG!-sdc14885_new.jpg   New Member - New (to me) JAG!-sdc14887_new.jpg   New Member - New (to me) JAG!-sdc14890_new.jpg  

Old 05-10-2010, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome, thanks for the pics, yes you have an XJ40 with 3.6 straight engine , not turbo by any means . I had a '88 and had many problems with that .Mainly it was because suspension problems (hydraulic system maintenance really nightmare ).
Enjoy your ride and don't forget to drop by XJ40 Forums

Old 05-10-2010, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome back tedh. You have an early XJ40 as oposed to a late S3 XJ6. The flat bonnet/hood is one of the quick signs.

Your car looks great, be even better if you can find some center caps for the wheels.

Have you had a look at the rear fixings for the exhaust, the tail pipes look to be a little low, both of mine have the pipes higher in the valance panel.

The only turbo that I have heard of is the twin turbo XJ220 which this is not;-)

Old 05-10-2010, 03:32 AM

Thanks for the quick replies already. I know the drivers side exhaust needs secured better. Its loose and bangs against something while starting and idling low. That's on my list of things to do with this car. My first biggest issue is the instrument cluster. It's part analog and part digital and the VCM "vehicle condition monitor" is all screwed up. The text is barely legible and it's always lighting up problems and is non-stop. I don't know if all these problems really exist or not, but I know the VCM is stupid. Can I replace the instrument panel with a similar year with all analog guages with no VCM or can i disable it? My next issues will be to tackle why my power steering fluid keeps leaking out and my brakes, while metal to metal, still should stop better than they do. I have new pads and will take them off tomorrow to begin the wonderful work. As far as the center caps, I got the car for $1200 and it seems to purr like a kitten. I "think" I got a good deal but I'm not sure. I hate the ugly rims and would like a nice pair of tasteful aftermarket rims but finding those for a Jag hasn't been an easy task either. And thanks for the turbo comment. Leave it to MSN to say it had turbo as an option for that year. I also own a 97 Volvo 850GLT which is not advertised as a turbo but it is as I've worked on the turbo. It's a 20V 2.5L 5 cylinder engine and that puppy screams. This is more like grandpa's caddy but the ride is so nice! Well I look back to hearing about the VCM/Brake/ power steering recommendations. THANKS!!

Last edited by tedh; 05-10-2010 at 03:36 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:08 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi, Welcome. Nice XJ40! No turbos...and too bad on the 220...if it was one of those you'de be the envy of the forums!

All the Best,

Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,147 Likes on 753 Posts

tedh, welcome and enjoy the new car, through all its trials and frustrations...she'll thank you later.

Fort Wayne... just south of my old school - Tri-State University, even worked in Fort Wayne when I was in there, some bar - can't remember the name. Though I can remember some evenings meeting some lonely ladies after I got off work.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey tedh, welcome back to the site and congrats on the car.

Try checking out the relevant section where you are much more likely to get more responses to your queries, and good luck

Old 05-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Howdy tedh

Welcome to the forum!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Welcome back tedh. Did you get it for fun or as a daily driver? Don't you just love handing over the cash and then getting that sick feeling in your stomach? The one that says "What have I done?" That's part of the excitement. Wondering what that sound was, what that vibration is, every time you take her for a spin. All that fun stuff. Your Cat is 22 years old and cost less than a lot of other sins. ENJOY every minute with her, I hope she treats you well.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:34 AM

Thanks for all the warm welcome back comments. Actually I didn't mind handing over the cash for this car. I only paid $1200 for it. I really have NO IDEA what it's worth. I bought a 94 Mustang GT 5.0 last year with hopes to make that my project as I used to have many mustangs back in my high school and college days. But I just hated that car and I paid more than double for that car compared to the Jaguar. Now that I'm 30, I appreciate the weirder more odd cars instead of sports cars. I also bought over the weekend a 1997 Volvo 850GLT which has a DOHC 20V 5 cylinder turbocharged engine and so I'm sure I'll have fun with that as well. I can't get too mad at the Jag considering "I think" i got a good deal on it. I'll change the brakes this weekend. Then I need to deal with that extremely annoying "VCM" vehicle condition monitor. Next after that I'll have to do some work on figuring out while the door handles, while all there and in good condition, are not opening from the outside (rear doors only). Thanks for the replies so far and I'm sure I'll be searching and posting for many issues ahead!