New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

new owner of an xk8

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 03:00 AM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default new owner of an xk8

Hey Just wanted to introduce myself, I just picked up a 1998 xk8 with a broken timing chain! I do all my own work, so I'm in for a good time!

Old 12-24-2009, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome to the forums , congrats on your Jag .If you need some technical help just ask out tech guys using XK8 Forum

Old 12-24-2009, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome Squirrel, looks like you are in for some fun.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy Squirrel

Welcome to the forum!!

Old 12-24-2009, 02:45 PM

I threw this up in the XK8 forum but I thought it had some good info on me so I'm gonna add it here as well....

I bought an unbelievably mint 1998 XK8 with 63k on it and a major caveat...the Interior is immaculate. The body is perfect. The engine is...not so good.

It wouldn't run so I popped the valve covers off last night and found this....
Name:  Ohdamn.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  112.2 KB
Not only is the chain broken, but the busted pieces of tensioner were sucked in between the cam gear and the chain and subsequently wedged against the head effectively seizing the cam.

fantastic...

The bottom end seems mint, and only the passenger side secondary timing chain broke so I'm in need some help here,

1.) I'm putting together a worst case scenario cost analysis.

So assuming that all the valves are crushed how much do the valves cost, and where can I get them (hopefully aside from the dealer) but if it is dealer only does anyone know the cost of parts? As for the headbolts, are they one time use "stretch" bolts? Generally when I pull heads I ditch the old bolts anyway I'm just curious.

I see ebay kits to the tune of 700 bucks. These include what appears to be all the parts I need including all gaskets and seals, the third gen tensioners all 4 timing chains and the necessary bolts. I'm a bit leery of ebay parts but given the track record of the Jag parts, I don't imagine that they can be that much worse. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JAGUA...Q5fAccessories

Since I'm going to be in there I'm going to go ahead and replace the water pump, as well as the thermostat. Furthermore I'm considering changing the water housing. Is there a non plastic equivalent or perhaps an upgraded one?

What else should I be replacing while I'm in there? Perhaps the oil pump? I have no interest in pulling the motor apart again in a year because I should have done something else the first time.

As for my mechanicle experience I have a pretty good amount of mechanicle experience however I am NOT a mechanic. I have built several 3000gt's from the ground up so I''m used to over engineerd complicated vehichles. I also know my way around an F-body, late model mustangs, and Vipers. Ive spun bearings, and blown turbos, I have rebuilt everything myself (aside from the machining of course). However I have never rebuilt a head with variable valve timing, but I imagine it cant any more difficult than anythign else I have ever done. Any advice on anything regarding the Jag is greatly appreciated. I just thought I would let you know where I'm coming from.

2.) I'd like to upgrade where possible while it's apart. I think another 45 - 60 horse or so would be a pleasent kick in the buns. I'm debating about some oversize valves and a port and polish on the heads, I'm just not sure it will be worth the $$$$ for what will probably amount to just a 25 or so horsepower increase. On the otherhand I have no experience with the jag motor so I dunno what kind of increase I'm looking really looking at, my 25 number is just a guess.

I want nothing to do with forced induction on the Jag. I have been screwing with the tuning on forced induction cars for last ten years and I'm just over dealing with maps and constant tuning. What a headache!

Obviously at this point gutting the cats and freeing up the intake would net a few more horse and may be worth the time and effort.

Thoughts will be appreciated! Thanks for the HELP!

Old 12-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there viscous n welcome to the site sounds like a great ride you have with some issues that you, by the sound of it are more than able to handle

Just been reading your write up c/w pic and a little outline of the problem.
If that is anything to go by I can see one of your first real posts being a FAQ.....lol
Please bear in mind however, that this is the new member section and you're not gonna get the best results here.
Please try reposting your last post into the relevant section and start a new thread there. This will get much better results, hopefully, and allow you to add replies and hopefully a write up c/w pics as you go about resolving the issues.

I look forward to catching up on this one, with interest

All the best

Old 12-25-2009, 09:46 PM

Well thank you for the kind welcome! I have always been a highly contributing member to forums. I hope to do the same for this one...of course it may take me a while to learn enough to be useful to anyone on here

I actually started that post in the XK8 section and got some great info, I just thought I would toss it up in here as kind of an introduction.

The original post is here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=30620

I ran a compression check today and found no bent valves! Merry xmas to me indeed! So she ought to be purring like a kitten in no time! Pun intended... I even found the original service records today, shes all dealer serviced with one owner!!!

Last edited by viscoussquirrel; 12-25-2009 at 09:48 PM.