Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

Jag Fuel Pump is piece of cake compared to my BMW

Old 02-29-2016, 08:03 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Jag Fuel Pump is piece of cake compared to my BMW

Actually my wife's 2004 325i M56 SULEV.

Fuel pump started to fail (noisy) at 165,000 miles. No big deal, I'll replace it while she is on travel, just pull the rear seat out pop out the fuel pump and on her way again. Oh no ! it is a M56 which I discovered has a hermetically (literally) sealed fuel tank/fuel pump/fuel filler with all stainless steel construction and every joint seam sealed or welded.

That's right folks only way to replace the pump is to replace the entire fuel tank assembly. Warrantied to 150,000 miles and 15 years (of course out of warranty) as a California SULEV. Although apparently many dealers won't tell you about the extended warranty unless you insist.

Cost at dealer $12,000.00 (on a car worth $5,000). Long story short, found a very low mileage correct fuel tank assembly for $1800, spent the entire weekend pulling exhaust system, rear suspension, swapping out tank and on the road again.

Hard to believe BMW apparently got California EPA credits for this dumb design. Not even remotely "green" to throw out a huge assembly when one small component is bad.

Venting complete.