S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Replacement Shocks Suspension Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 04 Replacement Shocks Suspension Issue

The Vin Decoder states my s-type 4.2's suspension is a double-wishbone w/stabilizer bar front and rear, I need to replace a front shock and would like to do both, I believe I have a standard suspension without electronic suspension, based on replacement size for front disc rotors I had done ( I first ordered rotors for sport sus, but they were too big the ones of standard sus, fit perfect).
My Question is can the - BILSTEIN 24067287 B4 OE Replacement Front; Base Model; Standard Suspension without Electronic Suspension,
be UpGraded to the - BILSTEIN 24067430 B4 OE Replacement Front; Base Model; Sport Suspension without Electronic Suspension on rockauto they appear very similar in size specs, anyone with suspension knowledge know a reason I can't upgrade to this shock

Last edited by Norri; 08-26-2016 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Changed font
Old 08-30-2016, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by LoganR
The Vin Decoder states my s-type 4.2's suspension is a double-wishbone w/stabilizer bar front and rear, I need to replace a front shock and would like to do both, I believe I have a standard suspension without electronic suspension, based on replacement size for front disc rotors I had done ( I first ordered rotors for sport sus, but they were too big the ones of standard sus, fit perfect).
My Question is can the - BILSTEIN 24067287 B4 OE Replacement Front; Base Model; Standard Suspension without Electronic Suspension,
be UpGraded to the - BILSTEIN 24067430 B4 OE Replacement Front; Base Model; Sport Suspension without Electronic Suspension on rockauto they appear very similar in size specs, anyone with suspension knowledge know a reason I can't upgrade to this shock
I checked RockAuto's site and it appears those 2 shocks are interchangeable for the '04 4.2L s-type. I can also tell you from personal experience that the Bilstein comfort shocks and sport shocks were also interchangeable on my '03 3.0L S-Type, as I opted to upgrade to the sport shocks when my OE comfort shocks wore out. Mine were different part numbers.

I can also tell you that the best price I found on front shocks was at RockAuto.com, but the best price on rear shocks was at ShockWarehouse.com.

To be safe, I'd check ShockWarehouse.com, PartsGeek.com and AutoPartsWay.com to see if they show the sport shocks being interchangeable with the OE comfort shocks. In the process, who knows? You might just find a lower price than RockAuto.

The following users liked this post:
LoganR (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 07:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks I was worried I was missing something to make the upgrade do you notice a ride difference? with sport shocks.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by LoganR
Thanks I was worried I was missing something to make the upgrade do you notice a ride difference? with sport shocks.
Yes, the sports are definitely firmer. If you like the softer, luxury, floating ride of the oem shocks then stick with the comfort shocks. But if you want your suspension to feel firmer, more controlled - esp at high speeds - perhaps the sports are what you're looking for.

The following users liked this post:
LoganR (10-04-2016)