S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 Brake Caliper Hanging

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 10:00 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1 Brake Caliper Hanging

After going through a set of pads way prematurely on the rear left, I replaced all pads and rotors and serviced that caliper. While better, it seemed to still possibly be hanging, so I replaced the caliper with a rebuilt unit a couple weeks ago.
It's been feeling alright until this morning when my wife had to turn around and came back home - the rotor was glowing bright red and smoke was pouring off the pads.
What's my next step? Could this be an antilock unit issue?

BTW, after reconnecting battery, the only "calibrating" of EPB was message on info center saying to apply brakes, which I did.

Last edited by DigitalDisaster; 09-13-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:18 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Visually verify the engagement/disengagement of the parking brake cable.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Visually verify the engagement/disengagement of the parking brake cable.
Yep, I'm going to start there this afternoon. I'm hoping maybe the cable needs lubrication (graphite?). Since I'm pretty sure the other rear brake isn't having this issue, I figure it's not the EPB actuator itself (I pray).

Old 09-13-2017, 06:49 PM

Well, the EPB on that wheel was fully engaged. Activating and releasing the switch did nothing, but a light tap on the arm released it.
Checked the cable and it moved freely. Put a little grease on the peg that the arm slides against, and a little WD40 onto the shaft, re-calibrated the EPB and put it through repeated cycles with no issues.
I'm a little worried that I didn't find anything glaring, and hope this rebuilt caliper doesn't have an internal glitch that only shows itself when hot. We'll see.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:35 PM

The remanufactured Cardone caliper I installed two weeks ago is apparently a POS, as the EPB lever is consistently sticking approx. a half to a quarter closed, even with a slack cable (the EPB motor is working fine).

I had read in a thread here of exactly the same misfortune befalling another owner after installing this same reman. caliper and it struck me that the parking brake mechanism is the only non-serviceable parts on the thing, so naturally, cores rebuilt are more than likely still suffering from issues associated with that mechanism. Given some thought, I wouldn't have taken a chance on getting another bad part - lesson learned.

I'm done screwing around and ordered a new OEM caliber today - I was lucky to find one online from a dealership out of Vegas for only $267 delivered - a fantastic deal.

Last edited by DigitalDisaster; 09-15-2017 at 11:53 PM.