Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable pedals not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Yes all STR's had adjustable pedals and if you have long legs and put the adjustable pedals all the way forward towards the firewall they will break and lock up solid.

It's a well known problem due to the cheap plastic gear assembly as posted above.

I think heima has covered most of this in his post but attached is the instructions/explanations from the Lincoln LS side which of course suffers from the same problem. Might even be the same post?

It does look like Jaguar fixed this because my newer 2014 XJR does NOT have adjustable pedals and it has just about everything else possible!
Sorry but I thought cheap plastic was a standard feature on all Jaguars of the era?

I'm pretty sure my window sticker had a

"Cheap Plastic - STD equipment" line on it?

I'd be curious if that brass gear fix this issue though ... You know, in case my legs shrink.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Yes I would like to know how the brass gear works too. That is a great idea!
But unless your short I find most people just leave the pedals all the way forward.

It would be interesting to see if anyone had the pedals jam when they were NOT fully towards the firewall? The position of the pedals seems to be the major factor if they stick or not?

Old 08-24-2017, 01:28 PM
Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes I would like to know how the brass gear works too. That is a great idea!
But unless your short I find most people just leave the pedals all the way forward.

It would be interesting to see if anyone had the pedals jam when they were NOT fully towards the firewall? The position of the pedals seems to be the major factor if they stick or not?
I have been repairing the Panther cars for over 3 years now, not a single failure. The gear is exactly the same and so is the manufacturer of the pedal assembly.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:00 PM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Hi
I had the same fault on mine
the gear inside the unit was split
I made some new ones out of a 2 part resin and they worked great
it happens if the stops are not programed correct, I re learnt the stops on mine with IDS, and its never failed since
cheers
Joe

Old 08-25-2017, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

That's great news that the Ford Panther Platform (Crown Vic and Lincoln Town Car) has the same pedal assembly. I just wish we knew that years ago and we could have used your brass gear too!

Thanks for posting that!

Old 08-25-2017, 10:01 AM

That's great news that the Ford Panther Platform (Crown Vic and Lincoln Town Car) has the same pedal assembly. I just wish we knew that years ago and we could have used your brass gear too!

Thanks for posting that!
Feel I should clarify the Panther cars share the same gear, not the same pedal assembly...

Old 08-25-2017, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

OK thanks for the correction.
Good to know as the gear is usually cracked.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:49 AM

Curless Auto

Hi
Would you have a link to where the brass gear can be purchased
or part number
thanks
Joe

Old 08-26-2017, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Joedotcom
Hi
I had the same fault on mine
the gear inside the unit was split
I made some new ones out of a 2 part resin and they worked great
it happens if the stops are not programed correct, I re learnt the stops on mine with IDS, and its never failed since
cheers
Joe
Could you elaborate on what this means?

Old 08-27-2017, 12:27 PM

Curless Auto

Hi
Would you have a link to where the brass gear can be purchased
or part number
thanks
Joe

Paypal: Mer@curlessautorepair.com $85 shipped in the Continental US. PLEASE include your correct shipping info and year make and model

Old 08-27-2017, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Could you elaborate on what this means?
Hi
my gear was split, it can be removed by splitting the gearbox in situ, you need to grind the washer off that stop the gear coming off, once the washer is off, then the gear just screws off.
I temporary repaired the gear by closing the crack with a jubilee clip, and the melted the crack at the sides with a soldering iron
removed the jubilee clip and the gear was now in one piece, but has no real strength
I bought some mould making pouring rubber, put the gear inside a large aerosol cap and poured the mould rubber over it, once it set, pulled it out of the cap and then the old gear just pulled out, now I have a mould
I then found a steel washer the same size of the screw, split the washer so it would screw onto the gearbox spline just nice
I also put little holes in the washer all the way round for the resin/plastic to go through and give it better strength
I screwed the washer now into the mould so it was in he middle, then I mixed some 2 part plastic/resin, and poured it in the mould, you have to make a bent bit of wire and give it a quick stir inside the mould, this removes any bubbles on the upper side of the mould
15 minutes later and its set solid, with a steel washer insert for strength, just pull the rubber apart slightly and unscrew the gear, worked great on mine now for nearly 3 years
on my car the upper stop was not correctly set, it would try to drive through the end, hence the gear split, with jaguar IDS/SDD software and a mongoose lead you can set the upper and lower stops, so it stops before it runs out screw in the gearbox
cheers
Joe

a pic of mold and gears I made , left one had no steel washer inside, right one does, dont think it needs it though as it really strong plastic
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9glp9fegcy..._0380.JPG?dl=0

Last edited by Joedotcom; 08-27-2017 at 02:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joedotcom:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (08-29-2017), User 42324 (06-30-2020)
Old 08-27-2017, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Curless Auto
Paypal: Mer@curlessautorepair.com $85 shipped in the Continental US. PLEASE include your correct shipping info and year make and model
Hi
Just out of curiosity, how much would it cost shipped to the uk
thanks
Joe

Old 08-27-2017, 02:35 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Here's the pic..........

The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
Joedotcom (08-27-2017), Jumpin' Jag Flash (08-29-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member

JoeDotCom what a great repair and what a great bit of thinking out of the box!

We rarely see that and Thanks for your explanation but I really wish we could get it written up with Norri's pictures for our FAQ.

Have you posted this to the Lincoln LS forums?

Just a great job again!

Old 08-28-2017, 09:11 AM

Hi
thanks
Joe
Get me an exact address and I get you the exact number. I've shipped them all over the world. Usually around $20 shipping

Old 08-28-2017, 09:13 AM

Hi
my gear was split, it can be removed by splitting the gearbox in situ, you need to grind the washer off that stop the gear coming off, once the washer is off, then the gear just screws off.
I temporary repaired the gear by closing the crack with a jubilee clip, and the melted the crack at the sides with a soldering iron
removed the jubilee clip and the gear was now in one piece, but has no real strength
I bought some mould making pouring rubber, put the gear inside a large aerosol cap and poured the mould rubber over it, once it set, pulled it out of the cap and then the old gear just pulled out, now I have a mould
I then found a steel washer the same size of the screw, split the washer so it would screw onto the gearbox spline just nice
I also put little holes in the washer all the way round for the resin/plastic to go through and give it better strength
I screwed the washer now into the mould so it was in he middle, then I mixed some 2 part plastic/resin, and poured it in the mould, you have to make a bent bit of wire and give it a quick stir inside the mould, this removes any bubbles on the upper side of the mould
15 minutes later and its set solid, with a steel washer insert for strength, just pull the rubber apart slightly and unscrew the gear, worked great on mine now for nearly 3 years
on my car the upper stop was not correctly set, it would try to drive through the end, hence the gear split, with jaguar IDS/SDD software and a mongoose lead you can set the upper and lower stops, so it stops before it runs out screw in the gearbox
cheers
Joe

a pic of mold and gears I made , left one had no steel washer inside, right one does, dont think it needs it though as it really strong plastic

Gotta admit, this is awesome work!

Old 08-29-2017, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Wow!

Hi
cheers
Joe

Brilliant solution. This is why I'm addicted to this forum.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:12 PM

Hi
thanks
Joe

General mail would be $17 on top, if you want it in 6-10 days guaranteed its $49

Old 06-30-2020, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 476 Likes on 366 Posts

Looks like i have the same issue. One gear coming up

Old 12-15-2021, 07:51 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Does only the brake pedal move? I thought both the brake and accelerator pedal move. Does this gear affect both?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Adjustable pedals not working