S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Amp and Subs for Non-Premium with Nav System

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Amp and Subs for Non-Premium with Nav System

So after searching the forums I was only able to find info on upgrading from the premium (Alpine with subwoofer) system, but nothing for us with the non-premium stereos...

So, would anyone be able to offer the best way to add an aftermarket amp and sub/s to the base stereo system with NAV in our S-Types?

I will be keeping the Nav and would love to add some of the components that were in my Lincoln that I sold a long time ago (Digidesign competition 15" sub, JL Audio 450-4 and Massive Audio amps, Focal component speakers, etc).

So if anyone has done this please share what components were upgraded and how it was done. Pix are appreciated and who doesn't like to show off their system a little? ;-)

Old 09-10-2014, 11:47 PM

What year is your S type.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:53 PM

2005 3.0

Old 02-27-2016, 10:16 AM

Has anyone done any audio upgrades on non premium stereo with nav?

Old 02-27-2016, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 471 Posts

From what I understand non premium with Nav is the same head unit as premium , but without the boot/trunk mounted amp with d2b fiber optic loop (easy to add) , so you have a couple of options !
1, add the high level to low level RCA converter to your head units high Level speaker out puts behind the head unit in dash and mount the converter in the glove box so you can adjust its gains , then run an RCA cable down the edge of the carpet behind the kick Panal and Under the door shut scuff panals to the boot/trunk !
There is an aux power supply in the R/H rear corner of the boot behind the rear electronics control modual mounting pannal witch is both permenent power and ignition swiched power and an earth to run your amp , or you can steel a power feed from the Nav stack to remote power up and shut down your amp when you power up the head unit ! Witch is what I done! Using this converter!
Speaker to RCA Line Level Converter Adjustable High/Low | eBay

2, you can add the primum amp to the boot/trunk with a d2b loop about $100 for amp and $20 for d2b cable and hook up the the high level to low level RCA converter in the boot to the already low pass filtered out puts of the apine amp that normally run to the 6.5" subs in the parcil tray/back window then you can also have a pair of JBL component subs in the parcil tray for wiked mid range like I did , sounds great!!
If you do this route the you should also add the wiked door speakers to the alpine amps wiring loom witch is both high pass and low pass split to the doors and can run some serious speakers ! I put the 180w 6x8" kickers in front doors , and the pioneer 280w 6x8" 3ways in the rear doors , I cut the tweeter wires on the speakers and wired them to th high pass wires from the amp in the doors man it as sutch good qualety sound you won't regret it one bit !

Last edited by Datsports; 02-28-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Then if you havnt already do your self and the car a favor and add the awsome Vefframov blue tooth streeming box (veffbox) to the sistum and bring it to the 21st century! Also worth every penny!

Old 03-02-2016, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the terrific response!

I like your idea of running more of a component system using the factory Alpine amps and some mid-ranges in the back.
Any ideas where to get the d2b cable loom and premium amp for cheap?

Originally Posted by Datsports
From what I understand non premium with Nav is the same head unit as premium , but without the boot/trunk mounted amp with d2b fiber optic loop (easy to add) , so you have a couple of options !
1, add the high level to low level RCA converter to your head units high Level speaker out puts behind the head unit in dash and mount the converter in the glove box so you can adjust its gains , then run an RCA cable down the edge of the carpet behind the kick Panal and Under the door shut scuff panals to the boot/trunk !
There is an aux power supply in the R/H rear corner of the boot behind the rear electronics control modual mounting pannal witch is both permenent power and ignition swiched power and an earth to run your amp , or you can steel a power feed from the Nav stack to remote power up and shut down your amp when you power up the head unit ! Witch is what I done! Using this converter!
Speaker to RCA Line Level Converter Adjustable High/Low | eBay

2, you can add the primum amp to the boot/trunk with a d2b loop about $100 for amp and $20 for d2b cable and hook up the the high level to low level RCA converter in the boot to the already low pass filtered out puts of the apine amp that normally run to the 6.5" subs in the parcil tray/back window then you can also have a pair of JBL component subs in the parcil tray for wiked mid range like I did , sounds great!!
If you do this route the you should also add the wiked door speakers to the alpine amps wiring loom witch is both high pass and low pass split to the doors and can run some serious speakers ! I put the 180w 6x8" kickers in front doors , and the pioneer 280w 6x8" 3ways in the rear doors , I cut the tweeter wires on the speakers and wired them to th high pass wires from the amp in the doors man it as sutch good qualety sound you won't regret it one bit !

Old 03-03-2016, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry can't find any thing real cheep at the mo!
Although this is the cheepest amp around that I can find !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-XJ8...cAAOSwiLdWA1TP

And here is a reasonably priced d2p cable .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-JAGUAR...0AAOxyThVTaTTU

Also , if you purchest the veff box blue tooth kit he offers the additional d2p cable loop as an add on at a very reasonable rate !

Last edited by Datsports; 03-03-2016 at 05:09 AM.