S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best AfterMarket Brakes For '03 S Type R???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best AfterMarket Brakes For '03 S Type R???

Just wondering what some of the best recommended aftermarket brakes are and what everyone else has been using. I'm not sure I need to go with Brembo again for the cost.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

EBC Red Stuff, they are hard to beat.. If you want ultra high performance brakes, go with the Yellow Stuff, but they don't last very long.. but I think the Yellows have zero rotor wear, which is a huge plus.. Eric

Old 02-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 390HPTypeR
Just wondering what some of the best recommended aftermarket brakes are and what everyone else has been using. I'm not sure I need to go with Brembo again for the cost.
Here is the best deal/product hands down for an 03 STR.

Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors

SCRAPER SLOTS:
Full Sweep Scraper Slots dissipate heat, increases bite and reduces the stopping distance. Our slots also help to de-glaze and even out brake pads while throwing dust and debris away from the wheels. It also sheds water under-wet driving conditions.

BALANCED & VENTED:
All Brake Performance Rotors are Machine Balanced, Vented for cooling (unless OEM rotors were solid from the factory), X-Ray Inspected and manufactured to meet QS and ISO quality system standards. Manufactured from Premium Quality Solid Casting, TUV approved steel.

RUST PREVENTION:
Our Performance Rotors have a corrosion protection finish that is electrostatically applied onto the rotors in chemical tanks (not sprayed on like inferior powder coating). Our premium quality Zinc Plating remains on all areas including inside slots and holes that do not come into contact with the brake pads. Available in Silver or Black.

http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...php?&ad=direct

Pads

CERAMIC PADS:
• Longest Pad Life
• Lowest Brake Dust
• Extends Life Of Rotors
• For Everyday Driving

SEMI-METALLIC PADS:
• Ideal For Heavy Vehicles
• Highest Friction Level
• Performance In High Temp.
• Low Brake Dust

http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...php?&ad=direct

Here is a copy of the email from Andy at Brake Performance with a guote for four rotors and four ceramic pads for a package price of less than $800. No that is not a typo. His number is attached and he has a file on these parts.

Front Premium Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors............................$499.00 For Both Rotors including semi-metallic pads

Rear Premium Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors.............................$265.00 For Both Rotors including semi-metallic pads

Upgrade to Ceramic Brake Pads.............................................. ........$10.00 Per Set

Free Shipping-Free Zinc Coating In Black or Silver

To order call us toll free at 1-866-756-5536.

Thank You

Andy

Old 02-12-2009, 04:16 PM

OMG...that is a deal!!!!
Do you have those products on your STR? How are they holding up?

I don't need brakes on my STR quite yet...but probably by summer time I will. Now I know where to turn. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,356 Posts

I just switched my wifes vdp from factory rotors and green stuff ebc to ebc dimpled and slotted with red stuff pads front and rear pads, and rotors shipped for $530. And love these, they brake way better and ive been a big factory believer even using "other" performance pads till i changed to ebc red

Old 02-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its seems unanimous so far, but I guess I will just add to it. EBC red stuff ceramics have been absolutely great.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the reply guys, it is appreciated...

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
I just switched my wifes vdp from factory rotors and green stuff ebc to ebc dimpled and slotted with red stuff pads front and rear pads, and rotors shipped for $530. And love these, they brake way better and ive been a big factory believer even using "other" performance pads till i changed to ebc red
Brutal, where did you order your set from??? That price included front and rear slotted and drilled rotors as well as ceramic pads??? That is a great price...

Old 02-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Interesting. Got a quote of 400 for front and rears for my standard S. They suggested I go with premium semi-metalic pads because of the lack of bite with ceramics. I was going to do drilled/slotted with ceramics until they said I may have an issue with bite. I sounds like they may be wrong. I deal with highway stop and go. Real crappy commute into Cleveland area. So, I need brakes that will grab and dissipate heat well. Man, I hate getting a pulse in my wheel.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,356 Posts

http://www.buybrakes.com/
http://www.autoanything.com/brands/102A494.aspx
Ive ordered, from both and both have great prices

Old 02-20-2009, 07:24 AM

Looking into EBC, the largest rotor they offer is 12.6" Front (Product #GD1411) and 11.8" (Product #GD951) Rear...

The standard Brembos are 355mm Front and I believe 330mm Rear, does anyone know if these will work and work with the current Brembo calipers???

I looked at the EBC Brake manufacturer specifications, but the fitments stopped at the '03 4.2 Sport readings (nothing for Type R)...and I have heard of many people using these for the Type R setup...TIA...

Last edited by 390HPTypeR; 02-20-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:15 AM
ccc
Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the OEM front rotor is 365mm (14.4") rather then 355 mm (14') so not too sure its going to work.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:50 PM

I'm not sure then...I've seen other members say they have used EBC on their STR's??????

Old 02-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 390HPTypeR
I'm not sure then...I've seen other members say they have used EBC on their STR's??????
You cannot compromise on the rotor size or the pads. I posted earlier on this thread where to get what ya need for chump change compared to OEM parts. I have installed their products on three vehicles I have owned and they are stellar. An STS, Land Rover and my STR.

Pick what works flawlessly and better than OEM. You won't miss the brake dust and the STR OEM brakes grabbing.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 PM
ccc

I think many folks have used EBC red ceramic pads and I believe the fitment for the brembo brakes are DP31462C for the front and DP31140C for the rear. I think I have a previous post that compares the rotor wear of the OEM (semi metallic) to the EBC reds. EBC does not make rotors for the brembo. Aside from the OEM, an earlier post is the first non-OEM vendor that sells aftermarket rotors. I think their std rotors are priced like the factory but they offer an upgrade path.

FYI, I just measured the lip on on surface of the rotor that doesn't wear and its about 2.5 mm think. With a 355mm rotor, the rotor radius would be 5 mm shorter so about 2.5 mm of the pad would be beyond the rotor. I believe the 355 mm rotors are for the later R's that don't have the brembo option. I know that on a few websites, the 355 mm rotor comes up as the correct fitment for the brembo cars.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by searanch
You cannot compromise on the rotor size or the pads. I posted earlier on this thread where to get what ya need for chump change compared to OEM parts. I have installed their products on three vehicles I have owned and they are stellar. An STS, Land Rover and my STR.

Pick what works flawlessly and better than OEM. You won't miss the brake dust and the STR OEM brakes grabbing.
Originally Posted by ccc
I think many folks have used EBC red ceramic pads and I believe the fitment for the brembo brakes are DP31462C for the front and DP31140C for the rear. I think I have a previous post that compares the rotor wear of the OEM (semi metallic) to the EBC reds. EBC does not make rotors for the brembo. Aside from the OEM, an earlier post is the first non-OEM vendor that sells aftermarket rotors. I think their std rotors are priced like the factory but they offer an upgrade path.

FYI, I just measured the lip on on surface of the rotor that doesn't wear and its about 2.5 mm think. With a 355mm rotor, the rotor radius would be 5 mm shorter so about 2.5 mm of the pad would be beyond the rotor. I believe the 355 mm rotors are for the later R's that don't have the brembo option. I know that on a few websites, the 355 mm rotor comes up as the correct fitment for the brembo cars.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it...

Those were the answers I was looking for, looks like Brake Performance it is...

Old 02-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

do me a favor and post your results from brake performance?? im also looking at doing mine soon, not because they need it, but more because i want to. Let me know which ones you get and the pricing too if you can.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:08 PM

Looking at the calipers from the STR tonight (whilst thinking how fast I could bolt some parts on) I couldn't help but notice how similar the calipers are to a set of Porsche calipers I have on the shelf...I know the rotors are a bit thinner on the Jag than what the 911 takes, but can someone measure the thickness of a set of NEW STR pads for me?

It is entirely possible that a Porsche pad would fit. The brake pad retaining pins are identical. Not that Porsche pads are a bargain, but it does open up a bunch of additional manufacturers to shop from.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Pads are cheap... rotors are the killer.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 PM

True, true.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:18 PM
ccc

For a brand new Akebono pads for the front styper rotor, I get a friction material thickness of 0.382" and overall thickness with shim, backing plate, and rotor is 0.626". I think new rotors are 1.2" thick. Inside and outside pads are identical

Great if you can get the porsche pads to fit, even better if you can get the cheaper cross drilled porsche turbo rotors to work on the Jag!

Quick Reply: Best AfterMarket Brakes For '03 S Type R???