S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can an X-Type Tape deck (for use with the nav) be installed in an S-Type with nav?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can an X-Type Tape deck (for use with the nav) be installed in an S-Type with nav?

I was looking at methods to get an aux in into the S-Type, and found many (one that replaces the CD-changer, but from what I can see this is not compatible with the Facelift alpine system? If not does anyone have more information on this method?) and would rather not just use an FM transmitter for quality of audio, and noticed there are lots of tape decks from X-Types with nav that sit below instead of the single slot CD player, if one of these can be installed in the S-type then surely the aux is quite straightforward with a tape aux converter (like I’m attached photo).

So I am just asking, can you install an x-type tape player in an s-type (facelift, with the navigation system)?

Any help much appreciated, and if anyone has a winning solution to install an aux then any help is more than welcome! (Although I know there are other forums for this...)

Old 06-23-2018, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

Yes you can I just swapped my mini disk unit with Nav with a CD head unit with Nav .
it does require reprogramming and configuration via IDS/SDD .
so not strait forward plug and play ,

i think the best method for you would be this aux install to your existing head unit .
You can also add a switch so it reverts back to cd when Aux is not used .

Old 06-25-2018, 02:33 AM
Received 265 Likes on 203 Posts

In my experience the cassette adapters are not that good. Probably about the same quality as the transmitter type. My advice would be to try one first before doing all the work.

Some transmitter type units are better than others, in fact some are very good indeed, but obviously the better the unit the more they cost. Again, try them first if you can.

Obviously, Jaguar/Dension did make an audio connectivity module for the d2b system on our cars that you can use with an i-player, USB stick and that has a jack input, but these are hard to find these days and sell for about £250 second hand. (They replace the CD changer and use the CD changer controls on the touch screen. You can switch back to the CD changer via a switch on the unit, but you need to do this with the system turned off before you start driving.)