Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Emergency brake motor apart:

well i finally grabbed some shots of the gear that was bad:

here is all the pieces apart:

enjoy!!!!!

lol

Old 04-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this the motor that pulls the cables on the emergency brake?? How hard was it to remove? Are the cables hard to reattach?

My emergency brake will NOT release when it's cold outside. It's like it's frozen or something. I have to let the car run about 15 minutes before it will release. The emergency brake motor is located fairly close to the muffler so I figured the heat of the muffler was thawing it out. But it will not release if the temps are as warm as 48 degrees F. so I know it isn't frozen at those temps.

Could my worm gear be worn like yours? My emergency brakes release just fine in the Spring, Summer and Fall but WILL NOT release when it's colder than 48 degrees outside.

Any of you Jag mechanics wanna chime in and give me a clue here? His housing looks like it could have been leaking water inside. I'm worried that mine will look the same. There's not much grease showing inside his motor. I'm sure that's what wore the gear down, eh?

Anybody know where to picj up one of these motors that release the emergency brakes at a fair price???

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

it isnt overly hard to get out, mine worked fine except when it sat for awhile. I checked the seals and they were pretty tight. I know when i took it out, it was a pain to get it out. Take the 2 10mm out from under the rear axle, and disconnect the lines.

You may have some cabling issues actually. once i got the motor out i checked the cables and they are in excellent shape. Nalley has them in stock, i already got a hold of them. EXCELLENT vendor btw.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 PM

Nalley has the cables in stock or the motors in stock?

So you think I may have issues with my cables and not with the motor itself? So maybe the cables are dragging so bad inside their jackets that the motor can't pull them enough to release the parking brake?

I guess the only way to find out is to remove the motor and look inside, eh?

Does anybody know if the emergency brake cables are supposed to be lubricated occasionally or are they sealed?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

What a stupidly over complicated design. My 88 Sable accomplished almost the same function with a standard foot pedal E-brake and a latch mechanism with a solenoid release that resided INSIDE the car where it stayed warm dry and well lubed. So you had to remember to step on the foot brake. How hard is that? Forgetting to release it is the big issue.

Great pictures BTW. Yup looks like water is the culprit. Did your car spend any time in the Katrina zone?

Old 04-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

if you havent looked above the rear axle, it sits right there. I can imagine with winter and rain, these take a beating considering where it is at.

No protection at all from the environment. Just kinda hanging out there right above the rear axle pumpkin.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by EZrider800
Nalley has the cables in stock or the motors in stock?
the motor assembly

Old 04-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

So you think I may have issues with my cables and not with the motor itself? So maybe the cables are dragging so bad inside their jackets that the motor can't pull them enough to release the parking brake?
The cables pull to engage the brake, not release. Because my car is a year-round beater, it sees the nasty part of winter with road crap and salt. I've found that the calipers themselves will refuse to release as the bell crank mechanism where it disappears into the caliper seems to jam up. A little silicone lubrication and all is well.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
What a stupidly over complicated design. My 88 Sable accomplished almost the same function with a standard foot pedal E-brake and a latch mechanism with a solenoid release that resided INSIDE the car where it stayed warm dry and well lubed. So you had to remember to step on the foot brake. How hard is that? Forgetting to release it is the big issue.

Great pictures BTW. Yup looks like water is the culprit. Did your car spend any time in the Katrina zone?
Mercedes actually does the same thing with a linear actuator... Put the car in park, the brake sets, foot on the brake, out of park it releases. You actually see the pedal move. The pedal is still there if you need to press it in motion.

Take care,

George

Old 04-27-2011, 11:32 AM

But why would mine only act up in cold weather? And why would it release after warming the car up for 15 minutes or so?

This issue is really aggravating since the car won't move until the parking brake decides to release. I can press the button on the console until I'm blue in the face and it won't release when it's cold. Easing out on the clutch and rocking the car back and forth doesn't help either.

Any ideas? Do I need to replace the motor or is it something else? Is there any way to over ride the electronic parking brake so I can drive the car if the stupid thing won't release one morning? I keep waiting for the day when it won't release at all...........

Old 04-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Any ideas?
Yup- get underneath the car to see what's wrong. Much more revealing and productive than pounding a keyboard.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

But why would mine only act up in cold weather? And why would it release after warming the car up for 15 minutes or so?

This issue is really aggravating since the car won't move until the parking brake decides to release. I can press the button on the console until I'm blue in the face and it won't release when it's cold. Easing out on the clutch and rocking the car back and forth doesn't help either.

Any ideas? Do I need to replace the motor or is it something else? Is there any way to over ride the electronic parking brake so I can drive the car if the stupid thing won't release one morning? I keep waiting for the day when it won't release at all...........
you know if you hold the switch down, while turning the key off and removing it, it will not set itself.

The following users liked this post:
Staatsof (04-28-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 03:56 PM

No. I didn't know that!! Thanks for the information. If I don't find a motor at a good price between now and next winter I'll know how to park the car without the syupid e-brake setting automatically!

Thanks Jason!

Old 04-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Received 6,273 Likes on 5,470 Posts

Once you have it released, you could pull the fuse until you get it fixed.

F35 in the boot/trunk fuse box.

The following users liked this post:
Staatsof (04-28-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 01:48 PM

It's working like a charm again now that the weather has warmed up. But the last two Winters have been rough. It just won't work if it's colder than 48 degrees outside. I've been too busy to work on it and haven't really had the money. I've been unemployeed for the last two years until recently. Looks like I need to keep an eye out on Ebay for a motor from a wrecked S-Type.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

It's working like a charm again now that the weather has warmed up. But the last two Winters have been rough. It just won't work if it's colder than 48 degrees outside. I've been too busy to work on it and haven't really had the money. I've been unemployeed for the last two years until recently. Looks like I need to keep an eye out on Ebay for a motor from a wrecked S-Type.
If I were you i'd put some white grease on a rag and wipe it on the cables...

Take care,

George

Old 05-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

Well my new EPB motor should be here tomorrow, ill taks pics of the install and keep track of the procedure

Old 05-05-2011, 08:12 AM

Did you buy a new or used motor Jason? How much was it? I'm afraid I need to do the same.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Did you buy a new or used motor Jason? How much was it? I'm afraid I need to do the same.
i bought it new. from Nalley.
231 and some change---- shipped.

It got here in 2 days. Which is unbelievable. Ordering was easy, communication was excellent, and Dan was 100% on everything.

I did source a used one, but they still wanted almost 200 for it shipped. I am sure you can see why i just sprung for the new one.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by phd12volt
i bought it new. from Nalley.
231 and some change---- shipped.

It got here in 2 days. Which is unbelievable. Ordering was easy, communication was excellent, and Dan was 100% on everything.

I did source a used one, but they still wanted almost 200 for it shipped. I am sure you can see why i just sprung for the new one.
Jason,
Would you mind doing a write up of the proceedures and give a couple tips on how to unhook the cables and get it all hooked back up? Maybe a picture or two? I'd appreciate it if you have the time.

I see why you just bought a new motor. I found one on Ebay last year for $50 but was afraid it wasn't any better than the one I have. You never know................

"EZ"

Quick Reply: Emergency brake motor apart: