Sponsored by:

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 12:20 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
But we're trying to answer a question that applies to S-types and only S-types. I have no idea if the oils that suit an S-type also suit an F-type or if they fall tragically short. Nor do you or our other friends here.

Many of those F-type owners are up in arms because one and only one brand and type of oil currently meets the OEM's spec. Unfortunately, it's not easy to purchase outside and beyond the dealership network. I'd be upset too if out in that situation.

Some owners are calling Jag's bluff on it and are substituting a non-approved oil, warranty or no warranty. I think the whole concept is rather refreshing and is reminiscent of owners experimenting with non-approved fluids for the ZF transmissions.

Again, it's amusing that some posters pick and choose some specs as gospel and others as hogwash.
From a logic perspective, that's about as logical as saying, "you start a car by placing the key in the ignition, and by turning the key you engage the starter, ipso facto, or by reason thereof, ground cheese tastes great on pizza." Its a logical non-sequitur. The AJ33 has been used for years, in various models, in various years, on the same line in the same assembly facility. From an engine oil perspective, Jaguar has always advocated the latest technologies in advancements, even to the point of working with Castrol to develop specific additives to help extend engine life, performance and reliability. If anyone is stuck in the 70's, when it comes to lubricants, sadly it is you.

Last edited by Box; 04-18-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:31 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

I have no idea if the oils that suit an S-type also suit F-type... Nor do you or our other friends here.
I don't have Box's experience, but I doubt that remark will go unchallenged.

Some owners are calling Jag's bluff on it and are substituting a non-approved oil, warranty or no warranty.
First time I ever heard of a Jag owner foregoing warranty rights by deciding they knew better than Jag.

Again, it's amusing that some posters pick and choose some specs as gospel and others as hogwash.
Who exactly do you have in mind? No one here has suggested that the Castrol 5-30 spec is hogwash, only that same-spec synth oils are superior.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:37 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
From a logic perspective, that's about as logical as saying, "you start a car by placing the key in the ignition, and by turning the key you engage the starter, ipso facto, or by reason thereof, ground cheese tastes great on pizza." Its a logical non-sequitur. The AJ33 has been used for years, in various models, in various years, on the same line in the same assembly facility. From an engine oil perspective, Jaguar has always advocated the latest technologies in advancements, even to the point of working with Castrol to develop specific additives to help extend engine life, performance and reliability. If anyone is stuck in the 70's, when it comes to lubricants, sadly it is you.
I understood that the suggested direction was 'present some new info'.

Other than endlessly repeating yourself that 'newer spec oils are better so therefore owners will reap the benefits' to my challenge 'then show me the actual benefits, not just theory and lab results', do you have anything new?

Old 04-18-2016, 02:23 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Other than endlessly repeating yourself that 'newer spec oils are better so therefore owners will reap the benefits' to my challenge 'then show me the actual benefits, not just theory and lab results', do you have anything new?
The evidence is out there. From years of race proven results, to fleet records, to manufacturers testing and recommendations, to industry standards testing results. Go do your own homework.

Last edited by Box; 04-18-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:37 PM

We're talking about 'Jaguar S-types' and not presuming that whatever might be true on other engines in other applications is inherently applicable.

These were the standards used to condemn Jag for the 'sealed for lifetime' blunder.

Last edited by Mikey; 04-18-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:50 PM
Box
Veteran Member

We're talking about 'Jaguar S-types' and not presuming that whatever might be true on other engines in other applications is inherently applicable.

These were the standards used to condemn Jag for the 'sealed for lifetime' blunder.
I guess your modes operandi is if you throw enough crap on the wall, then maybe some of it will eventually stick. Jaguar specified their recommendations then, and it is still their recommendation now. In fact, they state, "Jaguar exclusively recommends Castrol EDGE Professional oil, engineered to perfectly complement our engines and optimise performance. Castrol EDGE Professional is stocked by Jaguar dealers." And, "In Castrol’s variable speed Fluid Strength Test, Castrol EDGE Professional boosted with TITANIUM FST™ gave up to 45% less metal-to-metal contact than a major lubricant competitor’s product. Products representing 61% of our 2012 sales volume were tested."

Last edited by Box; 04-18-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:41 PM

To which you replied:

Originally Posted by Box
Jaguar specified their recommendations then, and it is still their recommendation now. In fact, they state, "Jaguar exclusively recommends Castrol EDGE Professional oil, engineered to perfectly complement our engines and optimise performance. Castrol EDGE Professional is stocked by Jaguar dealers." And, "In Castrol’s variable speed Fluid Strength Test, Castrol EDGE Professional boosted with TITANIUM FST™ gave up to 45% less metal-to-metal contact than a major lubricant competitor’s product. Products representing 61% of our 2012 sales volume were tested."

I'll take the statement above as no, I'll just keep repeating the same old thing.

Thanks, you've answered my question.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:39 AM
Box
Veteran Member

To which you replied:

I'll take the statement above as no, I'll just keep repeating the same old thing.

Thanks, you've answered my question.
I'm still waiting for you to either admit you lied to us, or provide the Zone rep name and number. Figure it out Mikey.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:11 AM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Box , before you start calling anyone a liar , is possible that the zone rep wishes to not have his name and number splashed all over this forum , I know I wouldn't , and if that is the case , then I respect Mikeys decision not to .

Have a good day ,

Sid

Last edited by mastersid; 04-19-2016 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudes08
I will be completing my first oil change since purchasing my 2008 S-type. The factory recommends Castrol 5w30. Any suggestions for other oil and filter options.

I've just done the oil and filter change on mine and it used just under 7 litres.
About 1/4 of a litre left over.
I bought 7 litres of Comma Xtech Fully Synthetic 5w30 and a Coopers FIAAM filter
incl VAT £43-00
Might want to buy 8 litres so you have some top up oil.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:35 AM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mastersid
Box , before you start calling anyone a liar , is possible that the zone rep wishes to not have his name and number splashed all over this forum , I know I wouldn't , and if that is the case , then I respect Mikeys decision not to .

Have a good day ,

Sid
The purpose of Zone reps from the manufacturer, is multi-faceted, and I can tell you that is part of the job. See, it isn't the lie that bothers me, it is the insult to my intelligence that I find offensive. Everything that Mikey has asserted is just plain ignorance. (no knowledge) The reports of self-styled want-to-be experts, who have no real idea as to what they are saying is analogous to a blind man from birth standing in the shade of a rock cleft screaming at the top of his lungs "the sun never shines!" when you have awakened daily and watched the sun rise and fall. It's kind of silly to listen to that blind man don't you think?

I know what a Zone rep would say to a customer. I worked for over a decade at one of the Big 3, I've seen destructive testing on thousands of engines, I've seen 10's of thousands of vehicles under warrantee claims, I was the Midwest Regional Training Manager for Sun Electric for over 5 years, training techs at Chrysler, Ford, GM, Toyota, Subaru and countless independent shops. I'm a certified ASE Master Tech. and in a court of law would be considered expert testimony. I can tell when someone has zero expertise in the industry. It's not rocket surgery.

Last edited by Box; 04-19-2016 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Box
I'm still waiting for you to either admit you lied to us, or provide the Zone rep name and number. Figure it out Mikey.

I have got it figured out.

You have no evidence whatsoever to back up your multiple claims about the latest generations of oils making engines in S-types last longer. None. Zero. That was obvious from just about the first post.

As to the name and phone number of the zone rep, that's been a nice bob and weave technique to avoid discussing the subject matter. I did answer your question way up above with some critical information that either you missed or possibly didn't understand. It correlates information provided by several other posters here regarding the history of the cars and their service life and blows every bit of your argument out of the water.

You've made several claims regarding how the auto industry works that I know to be factually incorrect. I've verified them with some contacts who are today regional/zone reps (or higher) working for two of the big 3. I know that at least one of them is watching this thread.

If there's somebody who's not been honest here, it's not me.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:51 AM
Received 6,257 Likes on 5,457 Posts

We are not going to degenerate into mudslinging, if you want to discuss oil go for it if not there is no benefit in this thread continuing.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:40 AM
Box
Veteran Member

I have got it figured out.

You have no evidence whatsoever to back up your multiple claims about the latest generations of oils making engines in S-types last longer. None. Zero. That was obvious from just about the first post.

As to the name and phone number of the zone rep, that's been a nice bob and weave technique to avoid discussing the subject matter. I did answer your question way up above with some critical information that either you missed or possibly didn't understand. It correlates information provided by several other posters here regarding the history of the cars and their service life and blows every bit of your argument out of the water.

You've made several claims regarding how the auto industry works that I know to be factually incorrect. I've verified them with some contacts who are today regional/zone reps (or higher) working for two of the big 3. I know that at least one of them is watching this thread.

If there's somebody who's not been honest here, it's not me.
This on it's face is absurd Mikey. If two people, without any experience in a given field, agree on a given item, it doesn't make them both right. That's like saying if 4 people on this board agree that black holes don't exist, then they don't exist in your book. Have fun telling yourself that. Now concerning your contact with Jaguar representatives, as you stated, either provide the contact information, or don't assert it. Accuracy is more important than your ego's desire to be seen as right.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Norri
We are not going to degenerate into mudslinging, if you want to discuss oil go for it if not there is no benefit in this thread continuing.
Thanks for trying.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:51 AM
Box
Veteran Member

Thanks for trying.
Contact the Jaguar Customer Relationship Center using one of the following options:

Jaguar Land Rover North America LLC

ATTN: Customer Relationship Center

555 MacArthur Boulevard

Mahwah, New Jersey 07430-9890

1-800-4 JAGUAR (1-800-452-4827), option #9

e-mail: Go to www.jaguarusa.com click on “CONTACT US”, then select on “Email us” for the online form.

Ask them for contact concerning proper maintenance and their recommended lubricants and intervals, including severe service, it's definitions as stated by them, and the change frequency. Tell them you assert "they have no evidence whatsoever to back up any claims about the latest generations of oils making engines in S-types last longer." See what they say in response. Either put up or shut up. Please remember before posting a reply, contact may have already been done by others.

Last edited by Box; 04-19-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Received 6,257 Likes on 5,457 Posts

I doubt anyone has any interest in you two sniping at each other so I guess we are done.