Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing Lights / Failing MFS / Renewal: Resolved

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts
Default Flashing Lights / Failing MFS / Renewal: Resolved

I caught the 03 randomly flashing the headlights while parked with no one around it or the FOB. Headlight switch setting was "AUTO." A few days later, I caught it with headlights on, despite setting still in Auto and having been parked several hours. The only problem experienced with battery drain was when I had it parked inside the shop for a week, for other maintenance. I believe the mondo solar battery charger system fitted several years ago more than kept up with the occasional lighting while parked outside:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-s-type-64372/

Moved the MFS setting to "Off" and ran a residual current check (IAW battery drain info in the stickies) on the car and all looked good and in-spec.

Later, while driving, MFS set to headlights "on" the lights went out. Surprise! Fiddled with the stalk and they returned. Went out again. Fiddled, restored, rinse, repeat several more times. This behavior drove me back to the forum where I became convinced it was failure of the Multi-Function-Switch, aka "the turn-signal-stalk." Going dark in dark and rain convinced me to put the car away until I'd effected a fix!

It's not a cheap part, coming in at about $240 regardless where I looked. I dreaded fitment for a week or two, then followed Eds123's excellent clockspring How-to located in the stickies:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...val-faq-61287/

to fit p/n XR854841. Dread was only valid had I actually had to remove the clockspring. I didn't:
I removed the two phillips screws from the bottom cover.
Worked the bottom cover out and let it hang from the column-adjustment harness, as I could not get the connector loose despite how I held my tongue.
Removed two identical phillips screws from the top column cover.
Set about trying to remove the top-cover.
I still have no idea what...but something was still fixing that thing to the steering column, "aft" or near the steering wheel and slightly offset to inboard. No screws that I could find but very firmly fixed!!!
However,while wrestling with it...I brushed the electrical connector to the MFS. Aha, bet I could pull that! I could. Unplugged it.
Then, while running out of ideas and patience, I had one..."let's inspect the new part..."
I took a look at how it was affixed and reasoned I could remove it without need of removing the top cover nor clockspring. Here is a pic of the old one, showing the two tabs on the "sides" - this is Top and bottom as installed - that you squeeze and the whole assembly pops right out:

Name:  IMG_20170122_135851_zpsxnk4crse.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  132.8 KB

I searched JTIS for a procedure for renewing the MFS, found naught. Haven't conducted any extensive night-ops yet, but fully expect the problem is sorted.

The following 3 users liked this post by aholbro1:
Datsports (03-22-2019), Jon89 (01-23-2017), kr98664 (03-14-2019)