S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future XE comments/rumor

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future XE comments/rumor

It looks like the often heard rumors of a new "E Type/ F Type" roadster/coupe are heating up again, with some promise since Tata has come on. I have waited for many, many, many years for this (who hasn't!), and can only hope and wait longer...

Even though I truely doubt that I or others here in the buying public can do much to influence things, I can try. I admit design in a subjective thing, but it is not that I don't like the current and past F Types---but they really don't/never did excite me like the old breakthrough Jaguar designs: Original XJ6, E Type, XK !

My point: please Jaguar/Tata/ Mr Rutan don't let the new XE jsut be another scaled down smaller XK8! Please let it be an exciting new Jaguar design breakthrough like the old ones. The E Type never even resembled the XK, which never resembled the even earlier Jags. Likewise with the XJ!

Anyway, that's my own little long time feeling. anyone out there agree? disagree? Ha, hope I haven't opened a cat fight here! Cheers!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

I have optimistic hopes too, we'll see what the future brings. But I disagree with you about the past as it pertains to the F Type: that was an elegant design that was corrupted in every dimension until it became an XK.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by JagtechOhio
I have optimistic hopes too, we'll see what the future brings. But I disagree with you about the past as it pertains to the F Type: that was an elegant design that was corrupted in every dimension until it became an XK.
If you are refering to the original design study (s) for F Types, I agree. And, as I said I don't so much dislike, as I want even more.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I liked the X180 prototype that was done several years ago.

I hope that Tata can do something with the company. I think that the XF is an abomination. Some may disagree, but I think it it looks about as much like a Jag as a frying pan does a football. Given the current design cycle, we are stuck with that look for at least 8 years.

I felt the same way back in 1968 when the XJ6 replaced all of the earlier saloons. The old saloons had a cheerful look reminiscent of a cheerier time. The XJ6 had more angular lines and was cheapened quite a bit compared with the Mark 2, The original S-type and the 420.

The older saloon look wouldn't come back until 2000, 30 years later.

The XK8 was a decent attempt at replicating the performance of the original E-type with similar sheet metal curves. What has messed up this car are the safety requirements for bumper height, absorbtion, and other body design factors.

I am disappointed with the direction Jaguar styling took under Ian Callum. He needs to work for Land Rover instead.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

According to AutoExpress News, it will be called an e-type. Here is the link. Looks like the XF front end on a shortened XK chassis. Will be a two seater only.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...07/jaguar.html

Attached Thumbnails Future XE comments/rumor-e-type.jpg  
Old 03-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

I agree that the XF does not look like a Jaguar. While it is sleek and 21st Century in appearance, it looks to me more as if it came from Volvo's design studios rather than Jaguar's. Never driven one so I can't question its performance, but it certainly doesn't say Jaguar to me....

I'll stick with our S-Type, hopefully for many years to come. Affordability (acquisition, insurance, property taxes, and maintenance) triumphs all other criteria in our household, and this S-Type is winning hands-down in that department thus far....

Old 03-15-2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by FloridaJag
I liked the X180 prototype that was done several years ago.

I hope that Tata can do something with the company. I think that the XF is an abomination. Some may disagree, but I think it it looks about as much like a Jag as a frying pan does a football. Given the current design cycle, we are stuck with that look for at least 8 years.

I felt the same way back in 1968 when the XJ6 replaced all of the earlier saloons. The old saloons had a cheerful look reminiscent of a cheerier time. The XJ6 had more angular lines and was cheapened quite a bit compared with the Mark 2, The original S-type and the 420.

The older saloon look wouldn't come back until 2000, 30 years later.

The XK8 was a decent attempt at replicating the performance of the original E-type with similar sheet metal curves. What has messed up this car are the safety requirements for bumper height, absorbtion, and other body design factors.

I am disappointed with the direction Jaguar styling took under Ian Callum. He needs to work for Land Rover instead.

I could harly agree more! with everything. I was hesitent on slaming the new XF, only since I am new to this Forum and did not want to come on as an "onknowing outsider". But, I no longer feel that way. In by opinion, the XF is certainly an adomination, as you say. It could easily be a Lexas or any other current lux sedan--by the way, every non Jaguar person I know says the same--"is that a Lexas, etc..." . It never even occurs to anyone that it is a Jaguar.

Now the big controversy (to me). I truely would love to have a new/different Chief Designer than Ian Callum--who is so far over rated (to me) , because of his one good (but very conservative) design for Aston Martin/Jaguar and has been living off it since. I agree, the latest XK8 has nice lines--but what a joke of a Jaguar front end/grill. I can't believe William Lyons would have kept him around, let alone design the next Jaguar. Wow, the Emperior really has no clothes--years and years of "twiking a design"--come on. He almost makes Chris Bangle look good! (I said "almost", so relax--I definitely do not want a Chris Bangle!

Finally, all this is Not just a rant. I am expressing my sincere views because I love Jaguar and really want it to turn around, suceed, and get me back in the fold. I want the new XE type!--but, I will also pass it up again if it is just a redo/smaller/XK8 and does not represent the new Tata Jaguar!!!

Old 03-15-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by runner
I could harly agree more! with everything. I was hesitent on slaming the new XF, only since I am new to this Forum and did not want to come on as an "onknowing outsider". But, I no longer feel that way. In by opinion, the XF is certainly an adomination, as you say. It could easily be a Lexas or any other current lux sedan--by the way, every non Jaguar person I know says the same--"is that a Lexas, etc..." . It never even occurs to anyone that it is a Jaguar.

Now the big controversy (to me). I truely would love to have a new/different Chief Designer than Ian Callum--who is so far over rated (to me) , because of his one good (but very conservative) design for Aston Martin/Jaguar and has been living off it since. I agree, the latest XK8 has nice lines--but what a joke of a Jaguar front end/grill. I can't believe William Lyons would have kept him around, let alone design the next Jaguar. Wow, the Emperior really has no clothes--years and years of "twiking a design"--come on. He almost makes Chris Bangle look good! (I said "almost", so relax--I definitely do not want a Chris Bangle!

Finally, all this is Not just a rant. I am expressing my sincere views because I love Jaguar and really want it to turn around, suceed, and get me back in the fold. I want the new XE type!--but, I will also pass it up again if it is just a redo/smaller/XK8 and does not represent the new Tata Jaguar!!!

Oh, I forgot. It must have a six speed stick!!! as an option. No more automatic/slap stick/nonsense. I will be happy to have also a dual clutch aut/stick---but only as another option--NOT as the only avaialable. So:

6 speed stick and any other in addition!

Old 03-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Runner,

If it were up to me, the new E-Type would be a stripped down, bad-*** kitty with a 6 speed. I would put in the 5.0 supercharged engine in it with a 6 speed manual transmission. The interior would be designed for lightness. Carbon fiber trim instead of wood, light weight racing seats with no leather or power adjustments and not much sound deadening. Deep-six the speed limiter to allow the car to go its natural limit, around 190 or so. Bump up the power to around 600 or so bhp and you've got a winner.

Mike

Old 03-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carelm
According to AutoExpress News, it will be called an e-type. Here is the link. Looks like the XF front end on a shortened XK chassis. Will be a two seater only.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...07/jaguar.html
Looks like an Audi to me...

Old 03-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by carelm
Hi Runner,

If it were up to me, the new E-Type would be a stripped down, bad-*** kitty with a 6 speed. I would put in the 5.0 supercharged engine in it with a 6 speed manual transmission. The interior would be designed for lightness. Carbon fiber trim instead of wood, light weight racing seats with no leather or power adjustments and not much sound deadening. Deep-six the speed limiter to allow the car to go its natural limit, around 190 or so. Bump up the power to around 600 or so bhp and you've got a winner.

Mike

Oh yeh...me too. That sounds like a real Jag and would be my 1st choice without a doubt! As for the "photo" released on the noted web site--again just photo shoping with same old tired ideas and "family features"--complete lack of imagination. I also do not like what has become the Jaguar vertical side gill, ala Land/Range Rover--it simply breaks up the smooth flow along the side, so I hope this element is not part of the design.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Lest there be any confusion,

This is the one. F-180, 1998. The "Mach 5" for grown-up Speed Racer fans, in my book.

Smooth oval headlamps, low door line, tidy little bootie...sounds like a good recipe for a girlfriend, or a comtemporary but respectable carrier of the E Type flame.

I'm not a Jag trivia/ history buff, but I look at that design and think that this was morphed into the XK...but all the best distinguising features were corrupted. You can't look at that car and tell me you prefer the XK.

To my taste, everything drawn up after 1998 has continued to move farther away from sleek..and more towards gaudy. The latest drawings are absurd, like they're fighting for the Viper market or something. What's next, a model to attract the Prowler audience?

Attached Thumbnails Future XE comments/rumor-xk180_press_1_s.jpg   Future XE comments/rumor-xk180_press_2_s.jpg   Future XE comments/rumor-xk180_press_3_s.jpg  
Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by JagtechOhio
This is the one. F-180, 1998. The "Mach 5" for grown-up Speed Racer fans, in my book.

Smooth oval headlamps, low door line, tidy little bootie...sounds like a good recipe for a girlfriend, or a comtemporary but respectable carrier of the E Type flame.

I'm not a Jag trivia/ history buff, but I look at that design and think that this was morphed into the XK...but all the best distinguising features were corrupted. You can't look at that car and tell me you prefer the XK.

To my taste, everything drawn up after 1998 has continued to move farther away from sleek..and more towards gaudy. The latest drawings are absurd, like they're fighting for the Viper market or something. What's next, a model to attract the Prowler audience?

Yep, me too--agree completely with comments. I always thought this and felt the 180 was the one. No junk on it and dumb add on idenifiers to detract from design, plus it looks jaquar--not like something else. We don't need another "family" spin off in a smaller size that apes everything else out there currently in vogue.