Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauging Interest: Killer Chiller

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Gauging Interest: Killer Chiller

I spoke with Joe at Kincaid Performance and they are willing to work with us on a killer chiller setup for us.

Its $750 including everything
$650 if we can get 10 people in.

Kit includes:
KC heat exchanger.
New A/c lines
New stainless steel couplers.
All needed brackets.

average intercooler fuild temps should drop down to 60-70's on a hot summers day should see IAT2 temps in the 80-90's

Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm a little new to killer chillers. How does this setup work I see it comes with A/C lines. So does it tie into your A/C system to use the freon to cool the air through the intercooler?? I'm just curious how this works. Would this pretty much eliminate heat soak???

Old 09-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Wink

I have a Killer Chiller installed on my 2000 XKR & can attest to the fact that it really works. If I let my car sit & idle with the hood open on an 80 degree day for more than 10 minutes I can actually see the charge coolers start to sweat from being so cold. On my car I run the coolant thru 1 charge cooler then the other (as per Rocketsports) & moniter the coolant temp as it exits the second cooler, this way I am seeing the coolant at its highest temp. When sitting in traffic this summer the outside temp gauge on the dash showed 102 & the discharge temp was app 80. I was shocked to see how low the temp had gotten, once you start to drive in the hot weather the temp will rise to app 90 & go much higer under hard acceleration as high as 150 under 18 psi of boost, reaching speeds well in excess of 100 mph. The amazing thing is how quickly it will cool the charge temp as soon as you back off the throttle I watch the temp go right back to 90 in a matter of minutes. The best thing about the chiller is you never get heat soak when sitting at an idle, & your car runs like a cool fall day all summer long. You will find Joe is very knowledgable as well as helpful. He will go out of his way to make sure you are happy. If you would like photos of my installation I would be glad to send you as many as you would like. You are probally better off just buying the kit yourself as trying to find 10 people may not be as easy as it sounds. Also plan on your car being apart for 7-10 as you will need to fabricate a few parts. I eliminated the heat exchanger & installed an aluminum tank between the charge cooler & the chiller as well as an isolated coolings system with 2 pumps & a seperate resevoir. Best of luck

Old 09-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it is not that bad of a install I am game!
Count me in, would like to see some more details on this....
Pics anyone? Actual tested results...

Old 09-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.killerchiller.com/index.html

I like what I am seeing on his site

Old 09-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link Riski and the testimonial JAXKR. I've been talking to Joe and doing alot of research. We should except to see "an addicental power gain" and this is what intrigues me the most, accidental by the fact cooler air means more power. Joe said the new jaguar kits should be 4-5 hour install including recharging the ac. He has worked with a few s type R owners and refined everything.

He said he may also include a drag upgrade if we are intrested. The drag kit is basically a bypass to the cab evap focusing all the freon on the heat exchanger for the IC dropping temps by another 15-20 degrees when combined with industrial R12e.

When we were chatting today he was telling me in his test bed aka drag mustang running a procharger and 20psi (forgot to ask what size procharger) his charge temps do NOT hit 80 degrees in the NM 115 degree heat.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member

Here is a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Ql84-iz6I&sns=em

Sent from my iPhone

Old 09-08-2010, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLmZ...eature=related

Im down for the drag pack......
How often do you have to re fill the freon?

Old 09-08-2010, 05:46 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The system is sealed so you just use your a/c as you normally would. When I spoke to Joe the bypass system would bypass the evaporater, hence no in car cooling. I very much doubt the install will take 4-5 hours as nothing aftermarket just bolts right into a Jaguar, plan on at least 8 hours. The increase in power is more is more a decrease in your power loss due to heat, think of how much better your car runs on a cold day. I also purchased the commercial freon at Joe's recomondation but have yet to install. This should lower my cooling temp further which will also increase my cabin cooling. I will post photos later.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Well I guess the install time is all relavant to how you prepare.

I've removed the bumper cover on my other S-Type once so I know where all the bolts are.

I replaced the a/c comp on my other one as well.

Having all the proper tools all set ready to go also helps.

and most important, when you do something like this read the book forward backwards, sideways, upside down, right side up, inverted, and when your done do it again in reverse order. lol

Old 09-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

I would love to see a dyno graph before and after....

Old 09-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Sure coming right up!

found one.

http://www.killerchiller.com/kwiksdyno.htm

Old 09-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

Yea I seen that one last night....I meant for a STR.....Might have to do it and be the example again

You have to have your a/c on for this to work correct?

Old 09-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I am interested as well, i would totally be down for that if it works

Old 09-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member

Yea ac has to be on to cycle the compressor which is fine by me since I leave it on auto all the time.

08Z06 there's no if it works lol search on the lightning forums there are people that have been running them for a long time.

So looks like this would make 3 of us. Joe said worst case senario he will give the discount with 8 people STR,XKR,XJR,XFR mix and match lol

There has to be 5 others we can get in on this.

BTW KP has non supercharged applications also

No I'm not affliated with just want to get it asap and would love to get it a little bit cheaper

Old 09-09-2010, 05:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this was an interesting read.... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=39419

Old 09-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

Very interesting indeed until you get into the fine print of the system. The heat exchanger is actually "tuned" for the application.

with an engine this expensive I'm not going to be the cowboy and start playing HE sizes I'd rather go the path that's proven.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

If this system works on Mustangs & Lightnings, then why wouldn't it work on the smaller displacement engines in the Jaguar? I doubt that your going to over-chill your coolant with this thing.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Panthro
If this system works on Mustangs & Lightnings, then why wouldn't it work on the smaller displacement engines in the Jaguar? I doubt that your going to over-chill your coolant with this thing.

My point was that if you get the size of the heat exchanger wrong you have the potential to do damage. Either in the form of internal engine damage, blower damage, a/c compressor damage.

Joe has done the "experimenting" for us. He is doing another STR now when I talked to him he let me know he has done a few, but the kit is not on his website due to the rarity of our cars but since has been getting more inquiries he is going to add it on there.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Have him do a before and after dyno!

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest: Killer Chiller