S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"The Lurch" Theory

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i started getting this lurch on my xj after i did the fluid change, ill need to to that hard reboot and try driving it the way described in the older tsb since i hadnt done that after the fluid change.

i did it pre fluid change and it seemed to help.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,146 Likes on 752 Posts

let us know if the reboot and driving tsb helps. I barely notice my lurch anymore.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:07 PM

i still only have 40miles on the reboot, so i cant say if it helped or not.

but i find myself having to really brake slow now and come to a rolling stop to avoid a hard downshift. i dunno im thinking of adding that lucas additive to the transmission.

also ive noticed harder shifts since the reboot, switchin between sport and on sport helps ease them tho. im not sure why.

i almost always drive in non sport, but when the shift get rough i switch into sport for a few blocks then turn sport off and the shifts smooth up.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

If you're trying to follow the old TSB, you must not use sport at all until you've finished teaching it how you drive.

You can reasonably expect some rough running when disconnecting the battery as the PCM has to relearn the engine's finer details.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:52 AM

the old tsb i think it was just for a few miles of those shift points no ? i did complete 30miles or so with no sport, but then it was just shifting way to weird from 1st to second and from second to third. 1 click of the sport button and no more then 4 blocks of driving all but eliminated those harshe upshifts.

now im still getting some lurch and slight hesitation kicking into first gear upon a rolling start but as the miles pile, it gets better.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

google for this (with the quotes):
jaguar XJ "harsh shifts"

Read a few

Among others is this:
http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jag...8566612-1.html

Which even mentions a recall due to faulty manufacture. News to me.

Dave's thelurch site is one place to visit. It's been said by a tech that there is a newer TSB or some such but it appears non-public.

I don't think you CAN do a reset of the TCM without a factory-type tool. Disconnecting battery is not the same but will clear the PCM's KAM (google is so good).

Old 10-12-2009, 07:25 PM

hey thanks jagv8.

withing 140 miles i had the lurch and harsh shift all but gone.

it came back today since i drove very aggressively(4 peel outs to redline). i think it will smooth out again within another 100 miles or so since the total mileage since reset is so low.

great link on thelurch.com.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lurch now occurs following repair

2003 S-Type V8
40,000 miles on odometer (63,000 km)

After an engine rear seal repalcement and I had a few seals replaced on the transmission, the transmission shifting became harsh/hard in automatic mode once the car has been driven for more than half an hour or so. Also shifts down too late and up a little too soon. When on the highway, going up a slight grade in high gear (50 mph/80 kph), it begins to groan/shudder slightly before it finally downshifts. Also, I now experience the lurch between 1st and 2nd as well.

Of note is that the transmission appears to behave properly until the car has been driven for a while. Say more than half an hour and not necessarily aggressively. I live in a cooler climate (Calgary area).

The transmission functioned perfectly prior to the above mentioned service. So I presume the problem relates to the "learning capability" or to an incorrect volume of transmission oil? Assuming the problem may be the programming issue, is it possible that it could learn its way out of the problem?

Comment: Of the many forums I have experienced, I find this one of the most informative and the explanations the most detailed. It is greatly appreciated! (and I love the bantering)

Old 10-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can report that I had my car serviced for this issue and the tech advisor recommended and completed the latest TSB, which involved a transmission seal replacement and reprogramming. In my case, knock on wood, it has resolved the problem as I haven't noticed it since. I have approx 46.8k miles on my car, they made the correction around 43.5k.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by thep
2003 S-Type V8
40,000 miles on odometer (63,000 km)

After an engine rear seal repalcement and I had a few seals replaced on the transmission, the transmission shifting became harsh/hard in automatic mode once the car has been driven for more than half an hour or so. Also shifts down too late and up a little too soon. When on the highway, going up a slight grade in high gear (50 mph/80 kph), it begins to groan/shudder slightly before it finally downshifts. Also, I now experience the lurch between 1st and 2nd as well.

Of note is that the transmission appears to behave properly until the car has been driven for a while. Say more than half an hour and not necessarily aggressively. I live in a cooler climate (Calgary area).

The transmission functioned perfectly prior to the above mentioned service. So I presume the problem relates to the "learning capability" or to an incorrect volume of transmission oil? Assuming the problem may be the programming issue, is it possible that it could learn its way out of the problem?

Comment: Of the many forums I have experienced, I find this one of the most informative and the explanations the most detailed. It is greatly appreciated! (and I love the bantering)

this is what mine did after the reboot, it went away after 120 miles or so.

i rebooted again yesterday to reset my park brake and its doing this again. once it starts shifting funny put it into sport mode for a few blocks/minutes. it helps with mine untill it learned to shift smoothly.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. All of this really hit home, except for one thing. This happens on my x-type. I have the exact reproduction of "The Lurch" Variation 2 and the hard down shift between 2-1. But, I have not come across anyone else experiencing this in an X-type. It was driving me insane until I found this thread. Is this a possibility? It seems like it happens on 6-speed S-types and the X-type is 5 speed. I'm not even sure if the X-type has the JF transmission. I guess in the end, I am just wondering if this is something that causes the tranny to go bad, or is it just a Jag quirk.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by queensnewbie
Wow. All of this really hit home, except for one thing. This happens on my x-type. I have the exact reproduction of "The Lurch" Variation 2 and the hard down shift between 2-1. But, I have not come across anyone else experiencing this in an X-type. It was driving me insane until I found this thread. Is this a possibility? It seems like it happens on 6-speed S-types and the X-type is 5 speed. I'm not even sure if the X-type has the JF transmission. I guess in the end, I am just wondering if this is something that causes the tranny to go bad, or is it just a Jag quirk.
It's not a Jaguar quirk, it is actually a side effect of adaptive software that controls the shifts. It is also not exclusive to the ZF trans. It got it's nickname from a website that someone put up to vent and document their issue with it regarding their S Type. I personally haven't heard of a failure yet, but that is also in regard to the 6 speed ZF box. My cousin has the "lurch" in his 02 530i and it is still fine. It also has the 6 speed ZF. I don't know who makes the 5 speed transaxle in the X Type, but since it is based on a front drive box I would guess it is Ford. BTW, my 03 Accord automatic had some of the "lurch" tendencies as well. It was also a drive by wire car with adaptive shift software. I would still have it checked by a professional if the drive behavior continues to annoy you.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:22 PM

Very interesting. And actually kind of encouraging, even though it's a transmission related issue. Thank you for bringing me up to speed. I did do some more research on the X-type board and it is a JF transmission. Apparently there was a TSB issues in 03 for "degrading shift issues" that is supposed to reprogram the TCM. Since I bought my X-type used, I don't know off hand if it was done, or if that is even the software update to correct this, like there was for the S-type. But it is encouraging to hear you say that it's not exclusive to S-types and even Jag's and that it doesn't seem to lead to a tranny failure. While it does annoy me from time to time, it's also emabrassing when other people are driving in the car. But I would be content enough to let it be if it doesn't do any harm in the end.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

thep - if it started after that work it's likely related to that.

Also, I don't see why it would take 30 mins for the behavious to appear. That doesn't sound like the usual lurch problem.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

queensnewbie - surely you can find out what make and model your autobox is. It's not going to be the one in this thread, as your car does not have the ZF 6HP26.

I feel you'd do much better in an X-Type forum. If you want to post in here please at least start a new thread and make it clear you have an X-Type. The last thing we need are X issues mixed in the same thread as S issues, when the autoboxes are not even the same ones

Old 10-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Default Lurch now occurs following repair

The 03 S-type has not been driven over the last week, as we had some bad weather. Temperatures dropped to -17 C. I drove it today (temp -3 C or +/- 26 F) for about 100 km (60 miles) both highway and city and the transmission performed perfectly. Temperatures are forecast to be +17 (65 F) tomorrow and I will test it then.

This is leading me to believe that either the transmission is learning its way out of this after several thousand KM's (4-5k miles) or the problem is at least partially related to operating temperature.

Will keep you posted.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
queensnewbie - surely you can find out what make and model your autobox is. It's not going to be the one in this thread, as your car does not have the ZF 6HP26.

I feel you'd do much better in an X-Type forum. If you want to post in here please at least start a new thread and make it clear you have an X-Type. The last thing we need are X issues mixed in the same thread as S issues, when the autoboxes are not even the same ones
OK, thats fair, I just hadn't seen any prior X-type documenting this issue. When I found this, I was immediately inclined to post. Just an FYI, the Sport mode did help quite a bit to smooth the lurch but it is still vaguely there. Over in the X-type forum our specs for the gearbox are either the ZF 6HP26 or 28 (doesn't seem right since it is a 5 speed). Thanks for all the insight.

Last edited by queensnewbie; 10-16-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Default the lurch & harsh shifting

2003 S-type 4.2 c/w ZF 6 spd transmission

Once up to running temperature, the type 2 lurch, hard shift & transmission growl continue. Although the transmission growl is not that bad and I think should be solved by re-programmong the shift programming. During warm-up it works perfectly. Web site http://www.thelurch.com/tsbs.htm describes the lurch symptoms & also provides a procedure to teach the transmission as described in the "Additional Notes" near the end of the page. When I get time, I intend to try it. Although for a 6 spd, I assume the last step should be 6th gear. The engineer, Garry Payne should be able to confirm that.
Web site http://www.thelurch.com/lurching_zf_transmission.htm provides a description of the lurch & the steps the person took to correct the problems. My transmission can growl all it wants. I have no intention of replacing the torque converter. Cats are supposed to growl.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

I think the revised is:

ZF Transmission Adaptions Drive Cycle - IDS Procedure (03 FEB 2009)

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/cr...00145NAS11.pdf

Old 10-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Default the lurch & harsh shifting

Thanks jagv8

After all of this, I am thinking that when the transmission was re-installed after replacing the rear seal on the engine, they must have cleared the memory (TCM). As the transmission worked perfectly prior to the rear seal replacement. Then when the "Transmission Adaption Drive Cycle" was performed, the transmission may not have been up to running temperature before performing the procedure. The ambient temperature during the day here at the time was 45-50 F, with overnight temps at 36 - 38 F. If they rushed and did not allow it to properly warm up, the procedure does not work properly according to the technical bulletin (JTB00145, 3rd note). An alternative is that the transmission oil is not at the proper level I suppose. I will be contacting the dealer who did the repairs.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: "The Lurch" Theory