S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mina & Caldoofy Custom Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:28 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the Caldoffy tube and it really is worth the money. It gives a good 10HP increase, and the whine is addictive. However I do not recommend the Mina intake, if im not mistaken the opening that leads to the intake arms or tube is narrower then the tube itself! Also i have read on here that it is not properly sealed off from the rest of the engine bay, leading to hot air being sucked in by the intake. They could have done a better job. The stock cold air intake box seems to be better simply due to the fact that it almost completely eliminates any hot air from the engine bay.

The following users liked this post:
Wuzupez (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I will be using a K&N drop in filter with Caldoofy intake pipe. I'm just waiting to see the stage 2 before I order.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Mina intake sucks hot air from the engine compartment, I'd say once things get cooking in there most if not all the gains you see from the increased airflow are canceled out by the elevated iat levels. meh...

Old 02-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tony1963
Another complete waste of money - better spent in a 401(k) or IRA account.

Does nothing but make someone else rich. But, by all means, continue to modify the car and send us pictures. Very entertaining.

You are so correct. We waste so much money like buying Jaguars instead of inexpensive little cars that burn little fuel......Oh wait a minute instead of buying a inexpensive car that saves on gas you bought a Jag......hmmmmmmm

Old 02-12-2014, 12:48 PM

Something I have tried in the past and it worked well on the intake tube......Exhaust/header wrap! On my C5 Vette it dropped my IAT 20 degrees! On my 05 Magnum R/T with the AEM intake it dropped about 12 degrees.

Both of these intake systems had aluminum tubes.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamondrmp
Something I have tried in the past and it worked well on the intake tube......Exhaust/header wrap! On my C5 Vette it dropped my IAT 20 degrees! On my 05 Magnum R/T with the AEM intake it dropped about 12 degrees.

Both of these intake systems had aluminum tubes.
Not to critique your post but they is the opposite of what you want to use. Header wrap keeps the heat in, when in reality you want the heat to dissipate as quickly as possible and be reflected. Use this instead, its the same stuff they put on wires, connectors, and other important pieces in the engine bay:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...mo-shield-tape

I have something like this on my intake and I have no data to prove it works, but after sometime its a lot cooler than other parts of the engine bay.

Google "Thermal Dispersant" for more info...

Old 02-13-2014, 10:07 AM

Header wrap is a thermal barrier, it will keep radiant heat out as well to a degree..

Old 02-13-2014, 12:22 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ingo
I have the Caldoffy tube and it really is worth the money. It gives a good 10HP increase, and the whine is addictive. However I do not recommend the Mina intake, if im not mistaken the opening that leads to the intake arms or tube is narrower then the tube itself! Also i have read on here that it is not properly sealed off from the rest of the engine bay, leading to hot air being sucked in by the intake. They could have done a better job. The stock cold air intake box seems to be better simply due to the fact that it almost completely eliminates any hot air from the engine bay.

How is it going Ingo? Well I talked to Mitch at Jag Repairs in Pompano and he is going to fab an aluminum intake box for the Mina Intake. We are going to use the stock air duct and hose over the radiator and route it to the lower part of the box. That should solve the hot air issue. I'll keep you guys posted

Old 02-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Received 214 Likes on 113 Posts

To put my 2 pence in, if you enclose the cone filter in an aluminium box, you would be as well just using the stock air box with k+n filter in as fliter surface area will be more or less the same and the plastic box is the better insulator from heat between plastic and aluminium. Using the stock air box also removes the smaller diameter connector from the mina intake which really should be a minimum of 80 mm diameter or the same as the stock air box outlet.

Wuzupez (03-07-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,495 Likes on 7,458 Posts

Anybody try jet coating the intakes? There's other links also to peek at.

Airborn Coatings - Jet Coat Header Coating- the best Jet Hot Coating available

Old 02-13-2014, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jayt2
Anybody try jet coating the intakes? There's other links also to peek at. Airborn Coatings - Jet Coat Header Coating- the best Jet Hot Coating available
I can't read the whole link on my phone, but jet hot makes header coatings that keep the heat in (I have jet got coated headers on my camaro). Again, instead you want the heat reflected. Many companies that powder coat can also provide thermal dispersant coatings which are often used on intercoolers and piping. No one has ever wrapped their radiator or intercoolers with header wrap right....

Old 02-13-2014, 07:25 PM
Received 214 Likes on 113 Posts

Well you wouldn't wrap a radiator or intercooler because you want the heat to transfer to the air around it, if you did coat them you would be significantly reducing their efficiency! Under bonnet though the idea of putting an insulated barrier between the cold incoming air and the hot under bonnet makes perfect sense.On the xj350 part of the forum a member 34by151 has has his intake tube ceramic coated and has done a good write up on his findings I'll try and find it later bit for now search is your friend (I think it's actually on my stage 1 tubes now available thread come to think of it!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by just rob
Header wrap is a thermal barrier, it will keep radiant heat out as well to a degree..

Exactly it works wonders on an intake. I don't know about plastic but it works n aluminum intakes.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by rasputin
Not to critique your post but they is the opposite of what you want to use. Header wrap keeps the heat in, when in reality you want the heat to dissipate as quickly as possible and be reflected. Use this instead, its the same stuff they put on wires, connectors, and other important pieces in the engine bay:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...mo-shield-tape

I have something like this on my intake and I have no data to prove it works, but after sometime its a lot cooler than other parts of the engine bay.

Google "Thermal Dispersant" for more info...

There is a lot of heat soak from the tube! If you can shave a few degrees off for the cheap like header wrap its worth it.

I wish I could find the numbers on my intakes. I did it so many years ago and I know its on one of the backup CD's I made.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Diamondrmp
There is a lot of heat soak from the tube! If you can shave a few degrees off for the cheap like header wrap its worth it. I wish I could find the numbers on my intakes. I did it so many years ago and I know its on one of the backup CD's I made.
Thermal dispersant tape is cheap too!! Do whatever you want but some kind of heat reflective tape is ideal! Those guys who walk inside of volcanos don't wrap themselves in header wrap, instead they use a thermal reflector like the ones used in NASA on spacecraft (shiny gold/silver stuff that looks like tinfoil).

Diamondrmp (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 01:42 PM

No bones about it, reflective tape>fiberglass wrap. I was just interjecting that fiberglass wrap can also do an okay job of insulating from heat

Last edited by just rob; 02-14-2014 at 11:52 PM.
rasputin (02-15-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by rasputin
Thermal dispersant tape is cheap too!! Do whatever you want but some kind of heat reflective tape is ideal! Those guys who walk inside of volcanos don't wrap themselves in header wrap, instead they use a thermal reflector like the ones used in NASA on spacecraft (shiny gold/silver stuff that looks like tinfoil).

never heard of thermal dispersant tape but you can bet I won't forget now!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:53 PM

Dei manufatures many different types of heat management products as well as cool tec.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent seen anyone post about Mina's intake on the V6 yet, I would like to add that I finally got to put mine on today, havent driven it much yet, but so far I love it, I think the truck behind me tonight thought I went back to the future it was very easy to install (even at night) lol so my question is this.. is there a Caldoofy "elbow" for the v6 s-type that I can get my hands on? anything to get rid of the accordion, just doesnt look right (plus im sure it adds a little extra)

Old 03-14-2014, 04:53 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Only fits the STR... modding a V6 S? sounds like a futile effort...

Quick Reply: Mina & Caldoofy Custom Intake