S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member here : need help and advise on my 2001 s-type

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member here : need help and advise on my 2001 s-type

Hi everyone, i have a 2001 s-type 3.0, bought it used last year with 48,000 miles and i just put 10k on it. Car still drives smooth but i'm having some electrical problems just two weeks ago.

1. Both my front and rear passenger side window don't work no more, the windows come down anytime i hit a pot hole or drive on rough road. i have to park and manually pull the glass up. My rear right passenger door does not open no more since last week.

2. my check engine light comes up randomly, mostly after i fill up my tank, sometimes it stays for a week or couple of days. it only comes on when i fill up my tank (not everytime though)

3.I see water at the spare tire place and i don't know where it comes from.

4.I dont know if there's something wrong with my antenna, but anytime i pass through a tunnel or overpass, i loose reception when listening to radio

5.My driver side power seat does not move foward no more, i hear the motor make noise and the seat barely moves.

My mechanic have a 2000 Lincoln LS so he takes care of everything and gives me good price since he's also a friend, but when it comes to these electronics, there's little he can do.I have not visited a Jaguar dealer since i bought the car and i'm planning to visit Land Rover/Jaguar of Manhattan,NY, anyone used their service before? Is there another Jaguar dealer you'll recommend in New York or the Tri-state area you think have good service and great prices?

Also if there's a retailer i can get the parts for cheap, i would be happy to know. I am also open to any step by step tips if i can fix any of the problems myself.
Thank you for reading.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow ! you are not having a good time !... The windows sound like the lifter is broken, these are plastic and a known weak point, take off the door card and have a look, you can buy new lifters but keep your old motor as these are a separate buy! The engine light may be due to the evap system, are you overfilling your tank?
Water in the boot (trunk) is common fault - check your lid seal, reseat it with silicon and then clean and coat the seal and lid surfaces with a silicon spray - this will help it reseal correctly (this is what the dealers do)
The seat may just be the lead screw followers fitted to the seat slipping or worn - if you can hear your motor working. have you tried a different setting in the seat memory to see if the seat works correctly to this point - it may be you have wear at on specific point. So somewhere to start - hope it helps.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Nice advice raygin. It's overwhelming for an owner when multiple systems go awry. You set "wiaf" in a logical direction. Hopefully he'll use then participate in this forum.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by raygin
Wow ! you are not having a good time !... The windows sound like the lifter is broken, these are plastic and a known weak point, take off the door card and have a look, you can buy new lifters but keep your old motor as these are a separate buy! The engine light may be due to the evap system, are you overfilling your tank?
Water in the boot (trunk) is common fault - check your lid seal, reseat it with silicon and then clean and coat the seal and lid surfaces with a silicon spray - this will help it reseal correctly (this is what the dealers do)
The seat may just be the lead screw followers fitted to the seat slipping or worn - if you can hear your motor working. have you tried a different setting in the seat memory to see if the seat works correctly to this point - it may be you have wear at on specific point. So somewhere to start - hope it helps.
Thanks for the advice, i took the car to a mechanic to check the windows this morning, he called some shops and they didnt have the motor for my Jaguar, so he advise me to take it to the dealer..(looks like my wallet will be empty). in the meantime, i made him disconnect the rear motor, so pressing the window up or down does not do anything. i'm thinking of fixing the front one at the dealer. Does anyone know if the Lincoln LS window rgulator will work with mine? i find them over 50% cheaper than the Jag's on ebay and my mechanic tells me my car shares most parts and design very similar to his Lincoln LS. He even opened his hood to show me some similarities and differences.
About the seat, i tried the two saved memory positions and only the steering wheel moves. i checked under the seat if something was blocking it but i see nothing, but i found out the seattries to move from left to right.
I don't remember overfilling my tank, but since the check engine light doesnt come everytime i fill up, i'll just forget about it, maybe it's just a sensor causing this.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Nice advice raygin. It's overwhelming for an owner when multiple systems go awry. You set "wiaf" in a logical direction. Hopefully he'll use then participate in this forum.
i still love my s-tyle and plan to keep it for long, so i'll be participating in this forum for long

Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try a new gas cap for that engine light issue.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by DittoGlen
Try a new gas cap for that engine light issue.
ok,i decided to wait till it happens again then take it to auto zone for the code first

Old 09-08-2010, 04:17 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wiafs02
ok,i decided to wait till it happens again then take it to auto zone for the code first
No need to wait for a repeat .. the fault code will be recorded in the memory, so if you are near auto zone - pop in and get it read.
Or buy a cheap reader , its often worth the money just so you can see what is going on. I often get an engine fault light up and its the mass air flow. often resets itself and does not cause a problem - but before I bought my scanner I used to worry about what was going on

Old 09-08-2010, 02:33 PM

These seem to be extremely common problems with the older S-Types. I have been forced to fix the back left window and the front left side too. There is a stupid plastic block that holds the window. The block breaks and The dealer wants to change the whole assembly instead of just the block. The plastic Blocks can be got hold of over here in Germany but it seems as if not many people know where to get them. The first door I repaired myself after getting the whole mechanism from England (costed half of what the Germans wanted for it). The second time I managed to get the block for a very reasonable price and swapped it in myself. I wish I could find a cheap way of sorting out the locks as I have had no luck there yet.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by raygin
No need to wait for a repeat .. the fault code will be recorded in the memory, so if you are near auto zone - pop in and get it read.
Or buy a cheap reader , its often worth the money just so you can see what is going on. I often get an engine fault light up and its the mass air flow. often resets itself and does not cause a problem - but before I bought my scanner I used to worry about what was going on
the first question Auto Zone ask me is if i have the check engine light on, and when i say no they tell me they cant run it so i'll do what you say tomorrow or pass over my mechanic to have him run the check for me. My cigarrate liter wasnt charging my gps or phone but we found out it was just a fuse so we got it working. i hope the electricals become roblm free, or i have to make a car electrician a friend. mechanically, i only spnt mony to change my coils cuz my car wouldnt pull between 50-60mph and i fixed that and everything runs great except these electricals

Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Masterplop
These seem to be extremely common problems with the older S-Types. I have been forced to fix the back left window and the front left side too. There is a stupid plastic block that holds the window. The block breaks and The dealer wants to change the whole assembly instead of just the block. The plastic Blocks can be got hold of over here in Germany but it seems as if not many people know where to get them. The first door I repaired myself after getting the whole mechanism from England (costed half of what the Germans wanted for it). The second time I managed to get the block for a very reasonable price and swapped it in myself. I wish I could find a cheap way of sorting out the locks as I have had no luck there yet.
i've been searching for it online but i don't know the name of that particular part and that is making it hard. and i think most people are selling the whole window regulator

Old 09-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I'll just chime in with a quick hint. Do a search here on trunk leaks. There are a few threads that talk about locking yourself in the trunk with the help of a friend, an no I'm not kidding. I would make sealing and drying out your truck a priority. One of the main fuse and relay boxes is in the trunk adjacent to the battery. As we all know, water and electronics don't mix. The water issue just might be the source of miscellaneous things not working except the windows. The windows are a common issue with your year and should be an easy fix...

Old 09-09-2010, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by wiafs02
i've been searching for it online but i don't know the name of that particular part and that is making it hard.

check with ken@britishparts.com

their website www.motorcarsltd.com

Old 09-10-2010, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Thank you very much.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
I'll just chime in with a quick hint. Do a search here on trunk leaks. There are a few threads that talk about locking yourself in the trunk with the help of a friend, an no I'm not kidding. I would make sealing and drying out your truck a priority. One of the main fuse and relay boxes is in the trunk adjacent to the battery. As we all know, water and electronics don't mix. The water issue just might be the source of miscellaneous things not working except the windows. The windows are a common issue with your year and should be an easy fix...
wow, i didnt know that, i have to get the water out and find a quick solution to the sealing. i got rid of the water before and sice i hardly go the the spare tire, its hard for me to know when the water comes back.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
i wanted to edit my prev post but i couldnt find how, anyway that is an awesome site, i'm surprise they sell some parts cheaper than i found on ebay,especially when you consider they deal with expensive car.

Originally Posted by JOsworth
i did the search and found out this topic have been discussed, i apologize to everyone that have to read it over again. i read the reason for locking myself in the trunk, its really reasonable. considering the s-type trunk isnt deep, i'm still wondering how it'll turn out but i'll work on that this weekend.i also noted some of the solutions peple suggested in those threads. thank you very much and i'll update you nice people on any progress

Old 09-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Old 09-11-2010, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Masterplop
thank you, i sent the seller a message to find out if the ship over seas.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Just replaced a regulator on mine and bought the whole thing for front passenger side with motor for 58 dollars plus shipping on Amazon. Used a Lincoln LS type for the replacement. Those plastic pieces are the issue so if you find the shipping costs might be to much from UK, and since you will have to take the door panel off already to replace, might want to consider a new one. Your call. I would buy a pry panel removal tool. got mine at Auto Zone. Figure I am eventually going to change all 4 regulators at some point so tool will come in handy.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Amadauss
Just replaced a regulator on mine and bought the whole thing for front passenger side with motor for 58 dollars plus shipping on Amazon. Used a Lincoln LS type for the replacement. Those plastic pieces are the issue so if you find the shipping costs might be to much from UK, and since you will have to take the door panel off already to replace, might want to consider a new one. Your call. I would buy a pry panel removal tool. got mine at Auto Zone. Figure I am eventually going to change all 4 regulators at some point so tool will come in handy.
does the lincoln ls regulator also come with the plastic piece too?

Quick Reply: New member here : need help and advise on my 2001 s-type