S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie stuck. No crank after engine replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie stuck. No crank after engine replacement.

I have been speaking with a Jag tech online and still trying to find a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated, so here goes!

After replacing my 06 3.0 with a good used 3.0 from the same year. After the new engine was installed it would not crank and I couldnt get it out of P with the key forward and my foot on the brake. When i put the key forward it kept blowing F19 fuse. They assumed the old harness attached to the new engine had a short. They put my original harness in and same conditions, F19 will blow no crank or click, nothing. When he disconnected the wires on the left side to the 3 coils, the fuse will not burn however no start.Swapped the coils with the old engine, I was advised to disconnect the R2 fuse controls 02 sensor to be sure o2 harness wasn't shorting since its connected to the fuse that blows. I even disconnected the o2 directly. Still no start and disconnected o2 or not F19 blows and no crank. Only if I disconnect 2 of the 2 coils on the drivers side the F19 wont blow, however no crank. Coils are good, it was a clean job down to the harness. Can it be the ECU got shorted in the process? If so do I need to get new keys to match a used ECU? Thanks, I without direction here

Old 05-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

You have got to be clear on what's going on??

If the car does not crank that means nothing happens when you turn the key. Is that what's going on?

If the car cranks but does not start that means the engine will turn over with the starter but for some reason will not start and run on its own.

Finally if you paid a shop to replace the engine how come they did not install it correctly? It sounds like it's their problem and you should insist they get it running.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
You have got to be clear on what's going on??

If the car does not crank that means nothing happens when you turn the key. Is that what's going on?

If the car cranks but does not start that means the engine will turn over with the starter but for some reason will not start and run on its own.

Finally if you paid a shop to replace the engine how come they did not install it correctly? It sounds like it's their problem and you should insist they get it running.
Yes you are correct and they are willing to make it right, however they are stuck. They did a clean job. All the dummy lights turn on but no crank. Keeps blowing F19 fuse when turning to on position, tried to reset the inertia. We disconnected the coils on 1 side, no blown fuse. We disconnected the black metal connecter on the passenger side engine compartment(10mm bolt holding the two together) When we left the connector open, the fuse would no blow when in the on position. We put the connectors back, blows instantly.
Not sure if its related to no crank but just dummy lights and cant shift out of P. All connectors were connected twice, carefully and coils were replaced with the original since they were ok.