S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake failure

Every time I open or close the doors on my 03 s type there is a rapid beeping noise and the brake light comes on. It goes away after about 5-10 sec. The parking brake does not work. When I pull the parking brake lever the brake and abs light come on and it displays parking brake failure. Then I must turn the car off and it goes away. I searched on the forum and found that it may be due to low voltage so I replaced the battery and no luck. I bought a new electronic brake module and installed it in the truck. Then I did the reset, still no luck. Anyone have any ideas to what to try next?

Old 10-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Can someone please help? i have an 03 s type r and recently the battery died and i am now having all sorts of issues since. My dash shows park brake fault, the airbag sign and the abs light and just now i had to wait 3 hours in the cold at 11 pm waiting for someone to come and jump me, once the car was jumped and started it showed park brake fault, i tried to restart the car and once it turned on the messages on the dash remained i also tried to apply the park brake and turn it off but the signs continued and the car wouldnt budge once i put it in drive it just sat there. i dont know what to do i spent my hard earned money buying this car and its driving me crazy im very stressed out about this car since its all i use to get around to work and to school, if someone could help me figure out what is going on or if someone had a similar issue and knows what i can do i would appreciate it beyond measure.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Styper1919
Can someone please help? i have an 03 s type r and recently the battery died and i am now having all sorts of issues since. My dash shows park brake fault, the airbag sign and the abs light and just now i had to wait 3 hours in the cold at 11 pm waiting for someone to come and jump me, once the car was jumped and started it showed park brake fault, i tried to restart the car and once it turned on the messages on the dash remained i also tried to apply the park brake and turn it off but the signs continued and the car wouldnt budge once i put it in drive it just sat there. i dont know what to do i spent my hard earned money buying this car and its driving me crazy im very stressed out about this car since its all i use to get around to work and to school, if someone could help me figure out what is going on or if someone had a similar issue and knows what i can do i would appreciate it beyond measure.
Did you charge the battery after the jump start? A jump is just a temporary way to get started if you have a dead battery...it still needs to be charged.

If it was not charged, you probably have a very weak battery and the many electronic systems in your car are likely to malfunction.

If you run the car for 2-3 hours steady at highway speeds that would fully charge it, but you are probably better off taking it to a service station for a charge or buying a charger.

If the battery does not hold a charge it needs to be replaced.

It is a waste of time and money to troubleshoot electrical problems in this car unless the battery is known to be good and fully charged.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 10-20-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Dporschey
I bought a new electronic brake module and installed it in the truck. Anyone have any ideas to what to try next?
Throwing parts at it and hoping rarely works and gets expensive fast. It could be one or both calipers, the cables or the actuators. At a minimum, remove a wheel and watch while a helper attempts to engage and disengage the EPB.