S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performance upgrades for s-type r?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RE: performance upgrades for s-type r?

I want to pick up a STR Jag, I am a HP junkie. But the lack of performance outlets is a big turndown.
I have own a heavily modded Thunderbird SC M112 equipped 6cyl that puts out about 395hp to the wheels, Ive owned a 03Ford Cobra, That made 410 RWhp and now have a. Big turbo SRT-4 neon. And the STR seems to be a good performance bargain along with the added luxuries. I can pick up a used one from $20k-30. I work on my own cars and will never step into a dealer unless I have to.

Some time ago I was looking for a XJR for me, my mother owns a XJ8 and I like that car. Ive always loved the S-type and Lincolns LS. But being a HP junkie I didnt think the 3.9l-4.2l were enough.

Now I have the option to buy this STR for low 20s. But every time I search there is almost nothing for upgrades for the supercharged AJ engines.. Or it is just too much money, for part that dont do much.Is there not a market "buyers" for these performance part where research and development vs demand hinder cost or arethe makers of these parts milking the cow and getting away with highway robbery, from wealthy Jag owner.

Forced induction performance.

Pulley and intake + Exhaust is only the tip of the iceburg.

Porting the Supercharger for more flow inlet and outletand spinning the supercharger more, is where the money is at. Cooling down the intake chargefrom the extra heat is also superimportant. If the exhaust is a restrictive oneit must be removed and replaced with a higher flow one, so the exhaust gasescan move out of the cumbustion chamber easier, and avoids creating backpressure.

Now this is all assuming that the jaguar computer will adjust for the extra air and fuel. How big are the Jaguars injectors? are they maxed out from factory? is the fuel pump big enough to provide more fuel to the added air.

If we want even more HP,then porting the cyl heads intake and exaust will net even more HP. But are they maxed out from factory? canmaterial beremoved from the ports?

Now comes one of the biggest hurdles that the AJ has. And that is displacement. 4.2L is about the size of a small V6. Like the old saying says there is no replacement for displacement. And the AJ SC is already putting out impressive numbers for its Cubes.

So will the STR make me happy if I buy it. I dont know yet I am still waiting to hear more aftermarket option for this car.

Let me ask some of you HOw much boost does the STR or other Rs make.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

richardoa1, I love Jags immensly but you should take a look at a 2001-2004 Mercedes S600 AMG. There were some on ebay the other day for $21,000 and up. They should have the HP your looking for along with a V12 6.0engine. For Example, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...=p4506.c0.m245

Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres a site i came acroos one day looking for parts for my jag let me know if it helps out at all
http://www.germanmotoring.com/productlines/arden/stype/

Old 08-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: harounq21

richardoa1, I love Jags immensly but you should take a look at a 2001-2004 Mercedes S600 AMG. There were some on ebay the other day for $21,000 and up. They should have the HP your looking for along with a V12 6.0engine. For Example,
Thanks for the Recomendation that too big pimping for my taste. I like my cars at less then 4000lbs. STR seems to be right around that.

I went to check out a Black on Black STR with 35k on it for $24,000 but it was sold buy the time I got there. I did get to see it and looked beautiful. Ill keep looking.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arden is wayyyy to over priced. German motoring quoted me $7900usd for a piggy back and muffler back exhaust (including cats) was $6800. The arden wheels were over 6k for four. that is ridiculous.

I talked with these guys from Eurotoysltd.com They are somewhere in the midwest and they do lots of reasonably priced STR mods. Plus there website has a hell of a catchy tune.

FYI: As soon as they finish testing the KenneBell 2.1L kit, your going to see a 550+hp STR on the forums.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:00 AM

Here is a place based out of the US that sells alot of good parts for all types of jags decent prices too http://www.eurotoysltd.com/catalog/index.php

Old 08-21-2008, 11:23 AM

"This smaller supercharger pulley will give you a modest power improvement of 20-25HP."

Do you read the description or look at the pretty pictures? lol.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

richardoa1,

Go totexasdirectauto.com They have stuff very affordable and always have clean titles.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm getting an x-pipe welded into my factory exhaust and removing the middle resonator before the end of the week.. has anyone tried this out yet? did you notice any gains? also does the exhaust sound too raspy without the center resonator in place?

Thanks for the help in advance..

Old 08-22-2008, 12:39 PM

sorry to come in so late. ive been missing out on the forum.....boo, I have the intake exhaust and pulley on my str and my dealer has not said a word about any of them....in fact i just posted a new thread explaining how i extended my warranty by three years. had to have my car inspected and the shop guys passed eveything so i could get the extention....wow!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:34 PM

Usually as long as a customer is understanding and not constantly arguing about how much the needed repairs are and usually brings his/her vehicle to the dealership, most mods will be no problem. If a major repair can be directly related to the mod, then yes it may not be warrantable. Iv seen a few xkrs with modded exhausts, they sound good in my opinion. Favorite was a red 02 xkr with center resonators replaced with an x-pipe and borla mufflers, full tune kit with crank and blower pulleys, ecu retune. Sounded amazing, deep idle tone and when you got into the skinny pedal it sounded like a higher tone similar to italian high end cars.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:55 PM

Hey, could you post a vid of your exhaust sound? On youtube perhaps? I'm debating between the Mina Gallery or the Milltek Cat-back non-resonated.

Thanks

Old 08-26-2008, 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Marcus

What about clear corners? Only found the side ones. What about the ones on the bumpers?
I want to know the same thing...

Old 08-26-2008, 09:03 AM

I have a Arden price list from a call placed to German Motoring last week...

For 2003 S-Type R

Arden Catalytic Converters - $3300
Arden Muffler Back Exhaust - $6380
Arden Piggyback Chip - $7920 <- Someone's a little proud of there stuff.
Arden 3 Peice Front Rims - $1606 ea - 8.5in wide
Arden 3 Peice Rear Rims - $1826 ea. - 10in wide
Arden Mufflers - $2530

just a FYI...

Quick Reply: performance upgrades for s-type r?