S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help

I have a 2003 Str. My problem is my passenger side hid has gone out. Im a newbie, so I really dont know what could have caused this. When the lights are first turned on they stay on for about 10 mins, and then flicker and go out. If I turn the lights off and then back on again they come on and do the same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And thanks in advance...

Old 11-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,839 Likes on 3,157 Posts

memphis, is the problem only with your passenger side light or is it both lights? You mention both in your post but start off with saying that it is your passenger light. Let me know which way it is and then we can get your fixed up in a heart beat. Should be pretty straight forward to get this fixed. The big question is your electrical background when it comes to the repair. May be something easy that you can just unplug and plug in something or it could be somewhat involved. So, if you have some electrical background, please let me know so I can scale the troubleshooting accordingly.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:12 AM

Im sorry, after re-reading my post it was a little confusing. When I turn my lights on they both come on. Then the passenger side flickers and goes out. The driver side stays on. If I turn the lights off and then back on, they both come on and then the passenger side goes out again. Thx for the response.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:16 AM

Im moderate with my electrical experience. But I can follow instructions. :-D

Old 11-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,839 Likes on 3,157 Posts

Memphis, you are looking at 1 of 3 issues. All of them are going to require parts. I would first start with opening up the hood and locating the fuse box there. Switch relays R10 (left HID control relay) and R13 (right HID control relay). Does the problem move to the driver's side? If yes, bad relay, replace the relay. If no, continue to the wiring checks.

I would first tryreplacing your HID bulbs. As long as you get the D2S bulbs, you can get whatever color bulb you are after (provided it is a 35 watt bulb). Then it is a matter of unplugging the old bulb and sticking the new ones in. If that doesn't fix your issue, then you are looking at a bad ballast inside the headlight assembly or a wiring issue.

Now, if the new bulbs don't fix the issue, I want to confirm the fault. So, what you will need to do is to access the plug for the passenger side headlight. If you look on the plug, I want you to find a black wire and a brown wire. These are the 2 wires that power your low beam with the HID bulbs. Now, turn on the headlights (insert key and turn to the RUN position, motor can be running or not, doesn't matter). Run them until the bulb goes out. Now, connect the red lead to the black wire and the black lead to any good ground point (ie, bare metal part) in the area. The multimeter should read less than 0.5 VDC. If not, you have a bad ground for that light, repair the black wire. Once you have proven the black wire good, move the red lead over to the brown wire. Are you getting 12 VDC there (above 12.0 VDC). If yes, then this confirms a bad ballast inside the headlight housing. If you don't get 12 VDC here, write me and I will have some more checks for you to do as we are now looking at a control issue for the HID.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Last edited by Thermo; 11-21-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:26 AM
Default Thx

Thank you for the detailed explination. I haven't had time to actually perform any of the solutions. Bit I did wanna thank you for the help. I plan on trying the solutions this weekend. I will get back with u on the results. Thx again