Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is The S-Type an Econobox?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Is The S-Type an Econobox?

Just for grins, I compared my S-Type's actual mileage against some leading econoboxes like the Toyota Camry, Hyundai Sonata, and others and the S-Type matches up pretty well against them. Mind you, these comparisons are against the Japanese or Korean cars's 4 cylinder models. If you compare automatic, V6 engines, the Jaguar actually beats most of them, especially in highway mileage. Maybe Jaguar needs to bring back the S-Type, at least the V6 as an economy car to help the CAFE standards. Make mine a coupe please.

Mike

Old 04-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My s type, '01 4.0 on prem gets 24. Kinda normal? Like the back doors. Normally no riders but nephs and niece find it easy to climb in.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with you. I own a Honda CRV LX 2wd that I drive for business. The 06 S-Type VDP I used to own with its 4.2 V8 got better fuel economy than the Honda does.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2001 4.0 jaguar s type 17mpg on premium ....should i be getting more?

Old 04-12-2011, 01:23 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I was cruising to work yesterday with the sunroof open and A/C off. Set the cruise at 60mph and got 33-36 mpg the whole way. With city driving and some idling mixed in I have been getting 23mpg per tank.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldengineer
I agree with you. I own a Honda CRV LX 2wd that I drive for business. The 06 S-Type VDP I used to own with its 4.2 V8 got better fuel economy than the Honda does.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Hard to swallow that one.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Even a BMW M3 (if I recall correctly) gives you better fuel economy compared to toybota prius according to Top Gear .
So, it's about how you drive the car lol
Nothing Else Matters - Ana Criado

Old 04-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I average 19-22mpg in town and close to 30+mpg on the highway, which is comparable to the mpg's of my '02 PT Cruiser.

In comparison to a Prius: My best friend has a Prius and we recently met up in Greenville, SC as it's midpoint between us and our highway mpg was actually just about the same--but she clarified that her highway mpg blows because it runs mostly off the engine, whereas in town she gets about 55mpg because it runs off the hamsters instead of combustion.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

lol...bless her heart, Kitty....~same hwy mpg but look what she has to be seen in!

Hybrids are city cars...that is where they find their sweet-spot....on the highway...you are simply dragging around a huge battery and heavy elec. mtr with an already insufficient engine....but.....if I lived in the city and hardly ever left it....why not just dispense with purchase, maint. and insurance and take Public Transport?

but seriously...I noticed the same thing when we first got the S-type for my daughter in late 08....bottom had fallen out of values (I assumed most thought they were gas-guzzlers..maybe just the economy) and then discovered in reality it did as well as or better than Corollas and such for our application...

Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Default US gov figures for 2005

Gas Mileage of 2005 Vehicles by Jaguar

But you could do a lot worse with very little more in HP to show for it.

Gas Mileage of 2005 Vehicles by Maserati

Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
lol...bless her heart, Kitty....~same hwy mpg but look what she has to be seen in!

Hybrids are city cars...that is where they find their sweet-spot....on the highway...you are simply dragging around a huge battery and heavy elec. mtr with an already insufficient engine....but.....if I lived in the city and hardly ever left it....why not just dispense with purchase, maint. and insurance and take Public Transport?

but seriously...I noticed the same thing when we first got the S-type for my daughter in late 08....bottom had fallen out of values (I assumed most thought they were gas-guzzlers..maybe just the economy) and then discovered in reality it did as well as or better than Corollas and such for our application...
LOL Exactly!
When we bought the Jag, I assumed my mpg would be similar to our truck (Dodge 1500 quad cab-4.7L) but I was thankfully wrong, it does much better--as the truck gets about 15-17mpg in town and about 22mpg on the highway. Only benefit to the truck is it doesn't require premium...

Old 04-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I need to switch my plugs over to iridiums the previous owner installed non iridiums right before I picked her up... I only get 19-20 mpg city and 25-27 mpg Highway @ 60 mph on cruise.. I think I should get abit better than this.

I hope the new injectors will help also

Old 04-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,290 Likes on 2,818 Posts

As I've said before, my wife routinely averages at least 33 mpg on her solo jaunts to and from the Tampa area to visit her elderly parents. That's using cruise control set at 72 to 75 mph depending upon which interstate she's on, and with the HVAC system set to keep the cabin comfortable....

On long highway trips with me behind the wheel, the car averages perhaps 29 to 30 mpg. I rarely use cruise control and I drive quite a bit faster than she does....

Comparitively speaking, the V6 S-Type may indeed be an econobox. Given the continuously rising gas prices I'm glad we have it, and I'm driving it more and more while trying to keep my Dodge Ram off the road as much as possible. I love my truck, but at an average of perhaps 15 to 16 mpg, I only take it out now for actual "truck" requirements. In the past month, it's done less than 250 miles....

Old 04-12-2011, 02:20 PM
VMV
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Smile

The S-type is very efficient , 28+ mpg lifetime average for me, 36+mpg best tankfill. Keep the car well maintained, tires inflated @40 psi, and drive smart and it will produce great numbers for a large, heavy, luxurious car.

One tip that I have discovered is a slight improvement in fuel economy by turning off the traction control during good weather. Not a huge difference but getting good fuel economy is all about paying attention to lots of small details.

I have played with some small aerodynamic modifications ( removed R side mirror, large grille block, wheel deflectors ) found they were too small in benefit to be worth the sacrifice in looks. I still run an upper grille block as it is not noticeable, doesn't hamper cooling, and makes a small positive difference. The biggest improvements come from efficient driving and higher tire inflation. I usually run my tires at 42 psi all around. For those concerned about tire wear it hasn't been a factor for me as I still have my original tires with 90K+ miles on them.
Driving the Jag is heaven, driving a Toyota/Honda/Hyundai is like being sentenced to prison.
best wishes VMV

Old 04-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe I will try more air. I run mine @ 34psi now.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

The EPA thinks you're already quite a bit above average.
Originally Posted by achysklic
I need to switch my plugs over to iridiums the previous owner installed non iridiums right before I picked her up... I only get 19-20 mpg city and 25-27 mpg Highway @ 60 mph on cruise.. I think I should get abit better than this.

I hope the new injectors will help also

Old 04-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

So you're doing 25% better than the EPA numbers. Well done!
Mine matches the EPA numbers exactly when I drive it very,very carefully. I'm toping out at 22-22.5 mpg but it's an R. Around town it sucks 12-15.

Originally Posted by Jon89
As I've said before, my wife routinely averages at least 33 mpg on her solo jaunts to and from the Tampa area to visit her elderly parents. That's using cruise control set at 72 to 75 mph depending upon which interstate she's on, and with the HVAC system set to keep the cabin comfortable....

On long highway trips with me behind the wheel, the car averages perhaps 29 to 30 mpg. I rarely use cruise control and I drive quite a bit faster than she does....

Comparitively speaking, the V6 S-Type may indeed be an econobox. Given the continuously rising gas prices I'm glad we have it, and I'm driving it more and more while trying to keep my Dodge Ram off the road as much as possible. I love my truck, but at an average of perhaps 15 to 16 mpg, I only take it out now for actual "truck" requirements. In the past month, it's done less than 250 miles....

Old 04-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

when i drove across the country, i averaged 75 mph, and 28 mpg. not using the carputer either. thats was done the old fashioned way.( and yes i ran her pretty good at night through the desert.....i would rather not say how fast she was going )

not bad at all for an R

Old 04-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Staatsof:

Believe it. Most of my driving is hilly interstate flying. The CRV's fuel economy goes to pot at speeds over 70. It gets about 24 MPG. The 06 S-Type I had typically got 29 - 30 under the same conditions because it was loafing. I have gotten the CRV as high as 30 Mpg driving around 65, but, the Jag, at that speed, would easily top 30. IMO, Honda needs to learn how to build an engine with a nice flat torque curve like Jaguar does. The 03 Jaguar X -Type 2.5 I once owned easily matched the fuel economy my 2wd CRV 2.4 delivers, despite having AWD, being heavier, and the ability to blow the doors off a CRV. I beginning to think I drank the Koolaid when I bought the CRV for a business driver.

Regards:
Oldengineer
2010 Honda CRV LX 2WD
2011 Mercedes Benz GLK350 4Matic
1948 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Town Sedan

Last edited by Oldengineer; 04-12-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:15 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Any thought on types of tires effecting fuel economy. When i first bought my jag i was getting around 32 highway. Tires were extremely worn. When i put new tires on the mpg went down to about 25-27 highway. And maybe its my imagination but as my tires wore down, i think i got better gas mileage. Anything to this, cuz if there is i would like to find the best gas mileage tires. Or someone said that he up the pressure on his tires. Don't know if that would help. Right now im runnin on Continental DWS and they're real nice for traction in snow and ride seems pretty smooth. Maybe they're a little soft for gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Is The S-Type an Econobox?