Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Several performance and hyper-milers recommend removing hood liner / insulation

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey

Cold engines 'waste' heat energy by transferring it into the atmosphere via the cooling systems rather than pushing the pistons.
That may be true till the thermostat opens. After that it has to go somewhere.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

I hate to be Debbie Downer here but keep it on! When I was 16 I took the hoodliner off my Camaro and about 7 years later the paint(clear coat) started to come off right above the manifolds. Now the paint is coming off absolutely everywhere except for the corners. I did a search on some F-body sites and there was no real consensus on whether it was causation or correlation, but the fact that mine did it right above the manifolds, and then grew to the top of the engine, with the very corners looking relatively nice, that tells me the heat killed the clear coat. My assumption is that it was GM's bad paint coupled with the removal of the hood liner either caused it or accelerated its deterioration.

My other complaint is that after I did it the valvetrain and header noise was much louder. I prefer a quiet engine bay over a constant ticking sound from the rockers. Since the sound of the supercharger comes out of the intake, I am not sure what difference it would make relative to SC sound?

Old 01-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by MK 82
That may be true till the thermostat opens. After that it has to go somewhere.
The effect lessens as the engine achieves normal operating temperature, but is still there. Heat that leaks through the walls of a house is wasted energy, heat that gets tossed away in the cooling systems of a car is no different.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Star
I have thought about the xkr vents myself.
Things that make me go Mmmmm...

jaguar xkr vents | jaguar supercharged vents

Old 01-10-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
I'd love to see some actual numbers if you can.
Good idea, might take her for a thrash and take some temp checks with my food probe or thermometer from the medicine basket...lol

Old 01-10-2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
Deal on a HDE Thermometer
Amazon.com: HDE Temperature Gun Infrared Thermometer w/ Laser Sight: Home Improvement

After looking at my liner, my liner seems to be in danger of falling off anyways...Terrific...
Get it off..... you know you wanna...

Old 01-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by V8 STR
Get it off..... you know you wanna...
Sounds like a slap-tastic pick-up line to use on a girl...lol

Last edited by Bacardi 151; 01-10-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by V8 STR
Good idea, might take her for a thrash and take some temp checks with my food probe or thermometer from the medicine basket...lol
I conducted a similar experiment some years ago on one of my other cars to demonstrate that a much heralded factory 'cold air cowl induction' system did little or nothing to reduce air inlet temps. I used a thermocouple and RF transmitter placed inside the air cleaner sending a signal to a display unit inside the cabin. The car needed to exceed 100 MPH before the temps inside the air cleaner dropped below those seen with no cowl induction unit.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Took mine off...It's a noticeably louder whine, but I also have a 3lb pulley so not sure how much of a difference it would make on an OEM...Also the 06+ have more sound deadening material so guessing that would sound different...

Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm removing mine this weekend. I'll report back afterwards. My intercoolers get so hot I can't put my hand on them after sprited driving. I found a company that makes hood louvers that can be welded on and painted over. Hood Vents For Your Vehicle – RunCool Hood Louvers | The Most Experienced Hood Louver Company In The World! The Most Cost-Saving Way To Cool Hot Engines!

As my hood needs a repaint anyway I'm thinking about this in the future. You have to go to the custom shapes to see one that would work on a XJ hood. I don't like the angled ones they show on the home page. We have an old XKE here and it looks so fantastic with the louved hood. Be nice to have the front end more planted at higher speeds as well.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:19 AM

I'd like to also put on my smaller pulley as well. Might have to wait until next weekend as I'm doing my third 6 day week and can't afford my car to be down if something goes wrong grinding the blower down.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by GGabriel
I'm removing mine this weekend. I'll report back afterwards. My intercoolers get so hot I can't put my hand on them after sprited driving. I found a company that makes hood louvers that can be welded on and painted over. Hood Vents For Your Vehicle – RunCool Hood Louvers | The Most Experienced Hood Louver Company In The World! The Most Cost-Saving Way To Cool Hot Engines!

As my hood needs a repaint anyway I'm thinking about this in the future. You have to go to the custom shapes to see one that would work on a XJ hood. I don't like the angled ones they show on the home page. We have an old XKE here and it looks so fantastic with the louved hood. Be nice to have the front end more planted at higher speeds as well.
Why not grab XKR hood vents?

Old 11-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Re the 'protect the paint' thing XKR's have louvres in the bonnet and you can see hot air pouring out of them when you stop after a while on the loud pedal - but no paint discolouration.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Mike, wil the XKR vents work on the "S"?

Old 11-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Mike, wil the XKR vents work on the "S"?
Anything can be made to work! Ive been thinking of the later model xkr vents as they look better (to me). The only thing is to find a shop that would put them in. And I wonder where the water will go in rain.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Star
Anything can be made to work! Ive been thinking of the later model xkr vents as they look better (to me). The only thing is to find a shop that would put them in. And I wonder where the water will go in rain.
I was thinking about adding hood vents until I saw this:

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/12095754-07-XKR-vents-n-a-2000-XJR

I know it's an XJR, but I'm not sure the vents would look any better on the stype.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by goblue90
I was thinking about adding hood vents until I saw this:

07 XKR vents n a 2000 XJR

I know it's an XJR, but I'm not sure the vents would look any better on the stype.
One word: YUCK!

Old 11-03-2012, 09:09 AM

The shape is just wrong for anything but a XK.
I took off the sound hoodliner yesterday at work and it does increase the sound in a more hollow way. It's not offensive in anyway at all. its all gear noise which l love.
We'll see if l get brave enough for the pulley today.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Gabriel, go for the pulley. You'll be delighted with the super torque gush from bottom end through mid-range. Many here attribute the pulley for out gunning late model muscle metal. This thread now has me pondering removing the hood underliner. Mike, I believe the XKR's have a rain channel to accomodate the hood louvres. Can anyone here confirm this? I'll shoot a message to the XKR guys.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Mike, I believe the XKR's have a rain channel to accomodate the hood louvres. Can anyone here confirm this? I'll shoot a message to the XKR guys.
You can see the injun through them.
Of course they slope towards the windscreen so don't catch rain on the move, indeed I'd guess they're deliberately placed in a low pressure area of the bonnet.
Nothing to stop rain running into them when parked but no sign that it does.

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (11-03-2012)

Quick Reply: Several performance and hyper-milers recommend removing hood liner / insulation