S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STR EGR removal please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STR EGR removal please help

Hi guys ive finally joined the jag forums for some much needed advice from where i am to go now, bit of background i own a 52 plate s type R, i am currently in the process of a few maintanence jobs and now i have come to the leaking egr pipe from the exhuast manifold to the EGR valve itself which is also causing running issues,

I had done a lot of reading up about how removal of these can be a royal pain and about the measures to take when trying to get this thing out, i am now in the process of the royal pain as the bolts that hold the egr into the inlet elbow have now rounded off and i am in a very sticky situation, the only other option i can come up with is to remove the intake elbow with egr attatched so i can either try to remove the EGR valve bolts from a better angle or just completely change all of the parts eg the valve the pipes and the elbow .

My question is how possible is it to remove the intake elbow with the EGR valve still attached and if anyone can give me a quick run down guide of how to do this i would appreciate this beyond expression i am now at a dead end until i can get a bit of guidance of someone who has maybe come accross this problem before,

I thank any help or input in advance and appreciate anyone even taking the time to read this post

Last edited by GGG; 07-06-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:05 PM
GGG
Received 16,823 Likes on 12,178 Posts

Welcome to the forum Jimbostr,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to S-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 07-07-2017, 02:21 AM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

Hi if you go to Jagrepair.com you can download a copy of the workshop manual or from the stick you Can get a copy of the JTIS.
you could try and weld aunt on the rounded nut if you can reach it. The heat will also break the seal on the bolt.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 979 Likes on 775 Posts
Old 07-07-2017, 07:43 AM

Cheers for the replies guys but there is no chance i can get the clearence to weld a nut onto that i can barely get any tools down there to start with, also i have tried them bolt grips, the nut is 8mm and that is the smallest these bolt removers go to so you can see my problem already the bolt is now more of a 7.5mm and these just slip round and round unfortunatly

Is there anyone who has removed these nuts succesfully without removing the egr? The nuts at the very bottom for the pipe

Old 07-07-2017, 09:11 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't suppose there's enough room to drill or cut the heads off the bolts? Hopefully if you can do that, the valve body should lift off the remaining studs and you can unscrew them with locking pliers. This looks like a lot of fun you have right there.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:56 AM

Hi!

Had the same issue with my STR few months back, so perhaps my experience is of help. I managed to get one bolt out but the other was stuck with a rounded head. The trick was to weld a another bolt on top of the stuck bolt. It came out easy.

If welding, be cautious not to damage the EGR's coolant inlet-outlet fittings like I did, as the material got a little melt. Just make sure that you have enough room. Some information about EGR removal can be found here jaghelp.com: 2006 S-type supercharger removal.

You also may run into trouble when removing the EGR nuts off the exhaust manifold. Take your time and soak them thoroughly with WD40 or other kind. One of mine came out with the stud itsself. I suggest to replace those nuts and washers.

The EGR pipe itsself is a flexible kind - otherwise you probably can't bend it into it's place. I'm sure any decent muffler shop have these flexible joints on their shelves. And when reinstalling get some stronger bolts and new washers.

EDIT: If you are planning to take off the intake elbow, you'll probably need a new gasket between the elbow and supercharger. And four new special bolts with gaskets. Trust me, I have been there already. Part nr AJ83292 and part nr AJ810511

Magnus

Last edited by MagnusV; 07-10-2017 at 01:26 AM.