F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer texting and driving my car caught on cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 05:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dealer texting and driving my car caught on cam

Here is a video I had of them. Have a lot of footage of him doing this. I have a porter charger and upper pulley swap. I made them aware of this and told them not to get it above 2000 rpm if they were to drive it. Due to the tune not being on there while it is in the shop.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:50 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Did you talk to them yet? Where was he driving the car?

Old 04-22-2019, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

That person looks awfully young. Can you identify their job at the dealer? It is illegal to text and drive in my state, let alone while driving someone else's car.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:06 PM
Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

which dealer?

Old 04-22-2019, 08:16 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Kind of weak to use this video to attempt to lodge a complaint when the date stamp is a year and a half old. I'd get that fixed pronto...
Regardless, that individual should lose his job. Bad enough to text and drive while operating your own car, but grossly irresponsible to do so when driving someone else's car, the owner of which you don't know in the slightest.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

It's the Service Manager texting his pizza order in...

The following users liked this post:
KarimEls (04-23-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 609 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
It's the Service Manager texting his pizza order in...
...and he was bored, keeping the engine under 2000 RPM as requested.

(J/K, no texting in our cars, or even eating or drinking anything!)

Old 04-22-2019, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
...and he was bored, keeping the engine under 2000 RPM as requested.

(J/K, no texting in our cars, or even eating or drinking anything!)
2000 rpm? I don’t think my engine has been under 2000 rpm in the last 4 years, except at idle.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Nice.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 258 Posts

Millennial texting Zombie. Nothing unique. I have seen companies now making cell phones on premise a fire-able offense. They have no choice. Either that or know your idiot employee is on Snapchat or whatever 50% of the time.

Safeway stores here installed mobile signal blockers. I thought it was because they didn't want shoppers doing online price comparisons. No. It is to help insure workers are actually working.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,979 Likes on 7,211 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Millennial texting Zombie. Nothing unique. I have seen companies now making cell phones on premise a fire-able offense. They have no choice.

It's spreading. In my observation it goes well beyond just millennials these days.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-23-2019, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Millennial texting Zombie. Nothing unique.
This is not unique to Millennials. I see A LOT of Gen X and Gen Y soccer moms texting while driving large SUVs. Like every single one.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:30 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ16er
Did you talk to them yet? Where was he driving the car?
I did talk to them, they wouldn't really comment on it much. They said they would use it for training purposes. The car was in for an electrical problem that took them a lot of time to find. The did all the work for free(that was mainly because they had scratched the car at the door jam really bad and I had already given them a bad time about that).

Originally Posted by jaguny
That person looks awfully young. Can you identify their job at the dealer? It is illegal to text and drive in my state, let alone while driving someone else's car.
I'm not really sure what you would call him. I think he helps take people back to work, grabs cars for the shop etc.

Originally Posted by uclabrruin1989
which dealer?
It is over in the Cary Automall. I thought it was part of the Leith group, but the building, front sign, and the paperwork don't say that. I believe it is just "Jaguar Land Rover of Cary"

Originally Posted by Unhingd
2000 rpm? I don’t think my engine has been under 2000 rpm in the last 4 years, except at idle.
I understand that but trying to be better safe than sorry. I didn't want this exact situation to happen and then something happen to the engine because the tuner isn't on there.

Originally Posted by IronMike
Kind of weak to use this video to attempt to lodge a complaint when the date stamp is a year and a half old. I'd get that fixed pronto...
Regardless, that individual should lose his job. Bad enough to text and drive while operating your own car, but grossly irresponsible to do so when driving someone else's car, the owner of which you don't know in the slightest.
Not really sure why the date stamp matters at all unless they're trying to deny it. I have all of the footage showing him getting in the car with dealer signs and everything else in the back ground. Also contacted them as soon as it happened.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:24 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol, I make sure to keep my idle at 2100 RPM.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

Lucky you are in the US... ..with privacy laws here the driver will sue you if he looses his job ;
you're invading his privacy, unless you had a blinkin red light with a text saying "you-are-on-video"
in front of his nose..

If I got the coöridnates right, it doesn't look like he is on a bizzy street..

https://www.google.com/maps/place/34...333!4d-78.8354

Last edited by Dan_NL; 04-23-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
Lucky you are in the US... ..with privacy laws here the driver will sue you if he looses his job ;
you're invading his privacy, unless you had a blinkin red light with a text saying "you-are-on-video"
in front of his nose..

If I got the coöridnates right, it doesn't look like he is on a bizzy street..

https://www.google.com/maps/place/34...333!4d-78.8354
False, unlike Canada, in the US you can record activity in any public space and thus he cannot sue you. After all, the dude is driving the OWNER'S car. The justice system is not as broken as people think it is...a judge will dismiss the case before it even gets to trial.

Jaggyx (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

@Vali
Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm in Europe..

But if you checked my location, you could have known that I wasn't talking about Canada..
You are a lot in the news, but the world is a bit bigger and its not all about you..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...ion_Regulation

Last edited by Dan_NL; 04-23-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
@Vali
Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm in Europe..

But if you checked my location, you could have known that I wasn't talking about Canada..
You are a lot in the news, but the world is a bit bigger and its not all about you..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...ion_Regulation
I replied on my phone and as such do not see the locations you mention. However your name had NL in it so that covers you I guess. Not trying to start a pissing contest here as I am European, born and raised there. I am quite aware of laws that have been passed, especially the ones that have a major impact on the world such as the EU laws on privacy. My argument stems from the fact that the recording took place in the OWNER'S car and as such he is protected from such bullshit lawsuits the US is so prevalent to. To quote the page you referenced, please see the restrictions:
  • Processing of personal data by a natural person in the course of a purely personal or household activity
The activity takes place in the owner's vehicle and would classify under this statute. Cheers from one European to another.

Dan_NL (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 04:22 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Regarding EU privacy I doubt the right to privacy extends to recordings of a person breaking a law.
CCTV in home or property or public land can be used as evidence in court case whether filming is covert or not.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:39 PM

Correct, the flip side would also apply to the crown prosecutors or the state to indict and bring evidence in court. If each criminal has to sign a privacy consent form we would not get very far in convicting criminals with video evidence. Once again, the judicial system is not as broken and stupid as the politicians and media lets on.

Quick Reply: Dealer texting and driving my car caught on cam