Sights N Sounds Post all of your video and sounds clips here.

How not to drive in the snow with a Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How not to drive in the snow with a Jaguar

Go to 0.06 in the video. Do not watch if you are an S Type enthusiast! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM2gL...eature=related

Old 02-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Gee, steering wheel turned hard over while the brakes are locked. And they wondered why it slid? Proof that 50% of people are below average. No Jaguar for you, one year!

Old 02-07-2010, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Amusing, Difficult to believe the way people bailed out into the traffic before the low speed impacts.

Now that is Dumb!

0.52 through 1.00 might have an adverse effect on our Admin.

Last edited by Translator; 02-07-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: sensitivity
Old 02-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah where did this happen?? in what country are people taught to JUMP FROM THEIR CARS? They could easily get run over by another car.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

HAHA I laughed at this one!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  19.3 KB

OMGG....Where did these people LEARN to drive?
UNBELIEVABLE!

Old 02-10-2010, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I actually laughed the video too but actually this no matter of joke

Old 02-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

I don't want to sound like a p***k or anything, but shouldn't that copper have shut the road with it being such a danger to vehicles?

Old 02-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cops only know how to write tickets for tint, speeding and exhaust.....Common sense is not taught in PD's.....

Old 02-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Way long ago in college lived overlooking the top of a steep 5 block long hill in Austin, Texas. There was an ice storm - a great rarity. We watched many hundreds of accidents that day from our balcony by people who figured the best way to make it was to get a good running start. Like watching bumper cars. You'd think if someone saw a step hill with dozens of cars stranded part way up on the curbs unable to go and a pile of cars at the top they'd pick a different route. But people in Texas can't drive in the snow, let alone on ice.

Many years ago one of my own sons slammed a Saturn into a railing on an Oklahoma turnpike during an ice storm. I was dozing in the back seat. I was awaken when his older brother shouted "NO! DON'T HIT THE BRAKES!" with the impact quickly following. We bounced and spun along until coming to a stop. Then we collectively ripped off the lower body molding dragging on the ground and kept going. Fortunately he hit it at a glancing blow and it was so slick it came off it nicely.

I spun a 69 Coupe Deville on I90 in Wisconsin on black ice coming up the entrance ramp at 75 mph. No damage done. (What parent would let their 17 year old kid drive their Caddy in an ice storm? Maybe they were ready to get rid of that car - and that kid!)

Old 02-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
I don't want to sound like a p***k or anything, but shouldn't that copper have shut the road with it being such a danger to vehicles?
No you don't sound like a p***k. That would have been the best way, but I imagine he couldn't stop laughing, long enough.

EX Rochdalian here.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

Ha Ha! I agree, during the recent snow in britain I enjoyed watching all these loonys spinning their wheels, getting no where. I of course watched this from within my toasty XJ8, which handled all nature threw its way without any complaints!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Default ABS in the snow

You know, apart from native idiocy (and anyone who bails out of their cars into traffic has got to have lashings of that!), part of the problem is perhaps caused by one of the best safety features of recent years - ABS brakes. We were in The Netherlands recently in the snow and ice. My wife, who has very little experience of driving in anything other than bright sunshine, went into a complete funk when she found she couldn't stop in the ice in the rented Volvo V70 we had over there. Two problems: (1) she didn't know that ABS doesn't work unless you stamp on the brakes and stay stamped on them, and (2) in the snow, you would actually be better off if you could turn the ABS off. The only car I have ever had where you could do that was an '80s Audi Quattro. In Australia we're generally short of snow, but we do still have country roads that are loose (gravel) surfaced, which again is a condition where the ABS can be more of a hinderance than help. On snow and gravel, you stop quicker if you can lock the wheels and build up a wedge of material in front of the tyres. As the video amply demonstrates, you can't steer in those conditions anyway so the main advantage of ABS on wet roads/doing avoidance maneuvers is lost (i.e. you can't achieve maximum braking and still steer round the obstacle). I suppose manufacturers just think we're all idiots who will forget to turn it back on again (although I believe the Audi had an automatic reset when you turned the car off so you couldn't leave it disabled for ever by accident - as do many modern traction control systems). Sometimes us old(er) farts who learned to drive in the days of simpler machinery and cadence braking still have an advantage over those with better eyesight and quicker reaction times!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:11 PM

i had to laugh at the chick who jumps out of the car.. priceless

Old 06-24-2010, 04:38 AM

This was actually filmed ten miles from me in Colorado! There is no way to describe what the weather is like here and that road used to be famous for freeze and thaws during cold weather month's. It could be 60 degrees during the day here in January and then drop to 10 at night! The people that jumped out were interviewed and stated that they were to scared to experience the inevitable so they jumped out as they saw they had the time and slow enough speed to do so!

Old 06-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me think......my brakes don't work, so the only alternative is to jump out of the car and drag my feet! Genius abounds in snowy country. That's why I moved from MT to AZ; one purpose of the first snowfall of each year was to weed out those drivers who where incapable of controlling their cars under snow and ice conditions.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Brilliant link. If someone had told you about it you would not have believed them.

I wonder if the road was not closed as it appeared many motorists were making it along, nice and slowly.

If we have another winter like our last one, my first experience with a rear wheel drive car, I am going to have find an alternative. Are snow tyres (not studded ones, thye are illegal here) actually any use?

Old 07-01-2010, 09:09 AM

I was shaking my head the entire time watching this video....

Old 07-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Snow tires are helpful in SNOW, but nothing really helps on ice. I've lived in snow country my entire life and it never ceases to amaze me how the first snow if the season causes a rash of accidents.
It's usually the ones with 4 wheel or all wheel drive vehicles that have the worst accidents. I think they are given a false sense of security. Just because you can get your vehicle to MOVE when others cannot, doesn't mean you can steer or stop any better!

Old 07-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JameyXJ6
It's usually the ones with 4 wheel or all wheel drive vehicles that have the worst accidents. I think they are given a false sense of security. Just because you can get your vehicle to MOVE when others cannot, doesn't mean you can steer or stop any better!
Exactly what I was thinking!

Winter driving in RWD vehicles can be a blessing or a trip to the body shop. It all depends on how you drive and when you drive. Slow and steady keeps the car safe(ish - there are still other morons on the road). Personally, I keep plenty of rocks in the trunk of my Camaro during the winter. I also can't drive in anything more than 4 inches of snow so I'm hung up.

So like I said, drive slow and not right after a snow storm and you should be fine lol

Quick Reply: How not to drive in the snow with a Jaguar