2014 XF-S electrical issues dealer wants to replace CJB

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 03:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 XF-S electrical issues dealer wants to replace CJB

Hi folks, wondering if someone can advise as unhappy with dealer diagnosis and above all the cost! I did post this in the x250 section but advised may be better to post here.

My 2014 XF-S 3.0 D just out of warranty and have experienced a couple of niggles in last 2 months and now more pronounced issues.
Started with occasional passenger window stopping / not reponding / going slow but that cleared - thought maybe lack of use, stiff or even batery issues but it cleared.
About 3 weeks ago the nearside Jblade led lights would stay on when parked and alarmed this continued for about 10 days then stopped.
Immediately the led issue stopped the vents, blowers, start stop and external temp gauge all stopped working.
This was intermittent for a few days and now completely stopped working.

Finally got it in to a main dealer and they have said it is water ingress to the CJB and referenced the bulletin JTB00377. When I have looked it up that seems to refer to warning lights on the dash of which there are none.

The dealer answer is a new CJB and wiring at an eye watering £1140. The job sheet details only refer to the vents and states they dont know if the other issues are related and have stated will require further investigation once this work is done.

It looks to me that they are guessing and linking it to a previous bulletin. I really don't want to spend this money and find it is something else.

Any thoughts, suggestions or help would be much appreciated. Indeed can anyone confrm if the CJB is part of the fusebox unit in the driver footwell or a separate unit?

Old 09-01-2017, 05:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI xfsdriver
I have exactly the same problem by the sound of it.
When I lock the car, the passenger wing mirror won't fold in without my helping it along by hand. I think there is a motor under the mirror which turns the whole assembly in and out upon locking/unlocking.
This is is not to be confused with the other motor which is located behind the mirror glass, and which is used to tilt the mirror up/down and side to side as far as I understand.
I have a feeling that there is a sort of circular contact ring upon which there are spring contacts which revolve with the folding in/out of the wing mirror.
I'm trying to find out how to access these electrical contacts and I think that if we can get at them we can spray the contacts with WD40 which should achieve a good connection of the spring contacts and hopefully fix our problem.
That's the way I see things anyway ! Any thoughts ??

Old 09-01-2017, 09:31 AM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts

xfsdriver, if your car is only just out of warranty then I'd be pushing for at least some contribution from Jaguar towards the cost of fixing this, or better yet fixing it free of charge since there's a known issue which causes this. Until you have a final decision on that, definitely do not attempt anything yourself to put it right as the dealer and/or Jaguar will just use that to get out of any claim you may have, no matter how valid.

Edit to add - could also be worth trying another dealer, if only for a second opinion. As for the location of the CJB, I have an XKR but certainly on mine the CJB is that very fusebox in the passenger footwell.