To buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To buy or not to buy

I have been offered a fantastic condition X300 Executive with just 35k miles from new. Only problem is the logbook states it's been extensively repaired as a Catagory C write off insurance. I know the car, owner and the story of the minimal damages to a cracked front bumper that resulted in the insurance company writing the vehicle off as 'uneconomical to repair'

The question is do I buy it, if so will the value be hugely reduced in the future if I have to sell for some reason? It's a great car and one worth keeping. The bumper has been repaired and it drives beautifully.

What do you think?

Old 01-13-2017, 02:42 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Welcome to the forum Paul,

Cat C would make me think hard but not necessarily dismiss the idea. It's the mere 35k miles in 20 years would make me think even harder about this vehicle's history. It's either only done 35 miles per week or spent a lot of time off the road.

A Cat C insurance write-off is purely economics (the cost of repairs exceeding 50% of the vehicle value) and not due to safety. However, the reality seems to be such vehicles are subsequently difficult to sell and the vendor usually takes a hit on depreciation.

If you're happy with the condition then it comes down to asking price compared to a 'clean' equivalent vehicle and whether you'd be prepared to write off some or even all of the purchase price if it had to go. A used Jaguar you know is a lot safer bet than picking an unknown off the likes of ebay.

If you are going to stick around the forum (even if you don't buy a Jaguar), please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham