Driving to Europe

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 04:02 AM
Received 105 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Driving to Europe

I'll be taking my first roadtrip from England via Eurotunnel to France, Belgium, and Germany.

Not only haven't I done this before, I'm an American and so lacking proper background.

If I understand correctly:
I need a sticker on my license plates that has the Union Jack and "UK."
I need a reflective vest, reflective triangle, and first aid kit.
I need to switch my XKR's beams to the other pattern with the little levers on the backs of the headlights.
Passport, international driving permit, insurance.

Anything I'm forgetting?

What are the fuel pumps in Europe like? In the UK, I miss the ability to pay at the pump with a credit card like in the US.

I'm planning to go to Nurburgring. Anyone been?

Old 03-20-2023, 07:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,818 Likes on 12,177 Posts

I made two or three European trips a year for more than thirty years before Covid but this coming September will be my first return since 2019. Eurotunnel is my preferred crossing as it's fast and convenient.

You will need the oval UK sticker on the rear of the vehicle. As part of the brilliantly negotiated Brexit agreement, the UK government failed to have the our badged licence plate recognised in Europe although we continue to recognise the European ones here.

Your 2010 XKR should have headlamps like my 2014 which do not require adjustment for driving on the right. My 2007 XK had the adjustment levers but this was superseded in (I think) 2009. If you exit Eurotunnel at night you'll enjoy many examples of French headlamp alignment - one blinds you and the other points towards the sky.

I have European breakdown insurance which I've needed to use twice. First time was 1997 when a radiator hose burst on my XJ40 on Christmas Day afternoon in northern France; second time was in 2018 when an injector failed on my X150 shortly after crossing the Pyrenees into Spain. Recovery and a courtesy car saved a ruined trip although the repair bill from the Jaguar Dealer in Burgos was eye watering! I always carry a laptop and have SDD installed which makes me less dependent on local Jaguar expertise if anything does go wrong. Check you have the locking wheelnut key before leaving. I rarely get a puncture in the UK but have had several on European roads.

Remember if you have a UK insurance policy, most specifically exclude driving Nurburgring.

I prefer to pay for fuel at the kiosk but have noticed more credit card pumps where service stations are not staffed at night.

Enjoy the trip.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 03-20-2023 at 07:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
equatorial (03-20-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 03:25 PM
Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/c...ving-in-france

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/mot...french-cities/

Not forgetting your clean air sticker! when travelling in some cities.

Crit'Air clean air stickers – your guide for driving in France see above.

However burning plastic dust bins in Paris street, is free of charge, but you have to work a little longer.

Old 09-30-2023, 04:29 PM
Received 105 Likes on 35 Posts

@GGG or whomever

I'm just about to make another trip.

Last time I used the Eurotunnel, I happened to get the lower level of the train. It just occurred to me, does the X150 have any trouble with the ramp to the upper level? I wouldn't want to scrape anything.

Secondary question, do the toll booths in France accommodate RHD cars?

Old 10-06-2023, 01:33 PM
GGG
Received 16,818 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Originally Posted by equatorial
@GGG or whomever

I'm just about to make another trip.

Last time I used the Eurotunnel, I happened to get the lower level of the train. It just occurred to me, does the X150 have any trouble with the ramp to the upper level? I wouldn't want to scrape anything.

Secondary question, do the toll booths in France accommodate RHD cars?
Missed this whilst I was away. I know you've already done the trip but worth considering a Telepeage tag if you intend a few trips to France

https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/

I have one for France and the equivalent for Spain and Portugal. It saves a lot of time and trouble at tolls.

Graham